Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ

Before I buy this motherboard I just want to check, does everything work once installed? So things like sleep, audio after sleep, full hardware and gpu acceleration etc?

This is going to be the most expensive motherboard I’ve ever purchased, and your guide is one of the few on the golden build section that has a motherboard you can still buy brand new.
Thanks
Hello @hamzab,

We do not make any guarantees of any kind. Unlike a real Mac that comes with warranty, money back guarantee and technical support, a Hackintosh is 100% the responsibility of its builder. We provide guides and guidelines, and we provide a forum in which users can share their experiences, report problems, and work as a community to solve those problems.

If you read a random sampling of this thread you will get a good sense of what to expect. Everyone uses slightly or significantly different components. Everyone uses different peripherals. Some use multiple monitors. Some use projectors. Some use flatscreen TVs. Some use old monitors without DisplayPort 1.1/1.2 or HDMI 1.4/2.0. Some simply don't want to shut down their machines and expect it to sleep and wake tens or hundreds of times. Others always shutdown their system after every session. Some use very high speed memory. Some use low speed memory. Some use MSI RX 5700 XTs. Some use Samsung EVO Plus NVMe SSDs. Some use Corsair H110i connected to internal F_USB header. The list of variations goes on and on, and reflects the very diverse needs and wishes of a very diverse audience.

All of these variations can and have caused problems for their owners. Most of those problems have been resolved either through solutions or workarounds. Use of multiple monitors may be an ongoing issue, but it depends on the type of monitor and whether you are using discrete GPU or internal GPU.

By contrast, Apple uses a very small number of cherry-picked components for each model they sell. A 2020 MacBook Air, for instance, might sell in the hundreds of thousands or even in the millions. But every single copy of that MacBook Air will use the same motherboard, the same CPU, the same memory at the same speed, the same WiFi/BT chip, the same CPU cooler, the same GPU, the same everything. So if Apple can fix sleep/wake issues on one MacBook Air, they fix it on all of them. If Apple can fix audio or hardware acceleration on one MacBook Air, they fix it on all of them... But what if each of those millions of 2020 MacBook Airs had different components??

I can only vouch for my own two Designare Z390 systems, both of which have AMD GPUs and only one (current generation) monitor (not TV) connected via the AMD GPU. I turn both systems off each time I end a session, but I have occasionally left them sleeping for hours without any problem. But I don't do repeat sleep-wake-sleep-wake-sleep-wake cycles. Never have. Both of my systems exhibit none of the problems you described under the circumstances I described.

I encourage you to read a random sample of users' experiences in this thread. The decision to build this system -- and the full responsibility of making that decision -- lies with you. We make no promises, no guarantees, no assurances. We only describe our experiences so others can judge for themselves whether they're worth copying.

Last edited:
Hi All

I need some advice. I followed this guide last June to great effect.... my computer (after a little bit of work) was fast, iMessage worked, app store worked.. it all worked.

Pretty quickly (within a month or so) I noticed that iMessage, facetime, and continuity stopped working... I had, along the way, changed by Wifi/BT card and I sort of assumed that the new cards had screwed something up but honestly I don't care so much about those features so I just ignored it.

The problem now is the app store has stopped working. I can see my purchase history, log in just fine but when I go to download apps I purchased I get an endless spinner. The console reports that it "Failed to fetch GUID schemes from bag" but I'm not sure if that is really my problem here or not. I've googled for the past few days and tried everything I could find (log out, reboot, etc.) -- nothing seems to help.

So here is my question. Since there are a number of things that don't work am I better off try to fix them one at a time or would it be easier to just do a fresh re-install? This, of course, assumes that a fresh re-install fixes problems..

If I do a fresh install should I try to configure a new set of unique identifiers (serial numbers, etc.) or just re-use what I have now?

Running Mojave 10.14.6 (and I need to stay on Mojave as I have a device with no Catalina support)

Any wisdom appreciated.

Hi All

I need some advice. I followed this guide last June to great effect.... my computer (after a little bit of work) was fast, iMessage worked, app store worked.. it all worked.

Pretty quickly (within a month or so) I noticed that iMessage, facetime, and continuity stopped working... I had, along the way, changed by Wifi/BT card and I sort of assumed that the new cards had screwed something up but honestly I don't care so much about those features so I just ignored it.

The problem now is the app store has stopped working. I can see my purchase history, log in just fine but when I go to download apps I purchased I get an endless spinner. The console reports that it "Failed to fetch GUID schemes from bag" but I'm not sure if that is really my problem here or not. I've googled for the past few days and tried everything I could find (log out, reboot, etc.) -- nothing seems to help.

So here is my question. Since there are a number of things that don't work am I better off try to fix them one at a time or would it be easier to just do a fresh re-install? This, of course, assumes that a fresh re-install fixes problems..

If I do a fresh install should I try to configure a new set of unique identifiers (serial numbers, etc.) or just re-use what I have now?

Running Mojave 10.14.6 (and I need to stay on Mojave as I have a device with no Catalina support)

Any wisdom appreciated.
This article describes a comprehensive set of remedies:

Hi All

Any wisdom appreciated.

I've had this problem several times during builds. Most often it is due to en0 geting re-set. To check, look at System Information/Network (see spoiler). You want to see en0 on your connection.

If you don't see it (or even if you do, there's no harm): copy, paste & run the following from Terminal, then re-boot. If this was the cause of the App store problem, you should be good to log in.

Code:
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

en0.jpg

@S1lla
You provide a patched version of the bios which has MSR Unlocked for X299 Creator :
I there a way to allow the GC-Titan Ridge to work ( with bios support ) on Gigabyte X299 mobos :actually we can only use GC-Alpine Ridge or TBEX3 on PCI 4_2 slot ?

I make it work with the jumper #15,146 without SSDT or W10 drivers

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 00.49.56.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Now that we have weekend I thought to myself "now or never". Killed a whole day with disassembling and reassembling my PC. Under the Backplate of my board I just found one single Winbond-Chip, kept searching, but no dice, so I thought 'what the hell' flashed it anyway and bingo, here I am. Did the DROM guide as well, everything in order and as it should be. Though on second thought I am not sure what the BIOS settings for TB should be, so I left them, like they were, for now (Force Power 'disabled' for example).

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Now that we have weekend I thought to myself "now or never". Killed a whole day with disassembling and reassembling my PC. Under the Backplate of my board I just found one single Winbond-Chip, kept searching, but no dice, so I thought 'what the hell' flashed it anyway and bingo, here I am. Did the DROM guide as well, everything in order and as it should be. Though on second thought I am not sure what the BIOS settings for TB should be, so I left them, like they were, for now (Force Power 'disabled' for example).
Good job!

Would you mind running IORegistryExplorer, scrolling down to RP01 and posting a screenshot? That will tell us if your BIOS settings are correct or whether they even matter. In general, though, GPIO3 Force Pwr should be enabled.

Would you mind running IORegistryExplorer, scrolling down to RP01 and posting a screenshot? That will tell us if your BIOS settings are correct or whether they even matter. In general, though, GPIO3 Force Pwr should be enabled.

So, in summary: though we have wind, we still should use the oars :lol: IOReg was the first thing I checked, everything seems fine, though I have to admit, I did it for the sake of integrity, not because I have use for them (not now, at least).

EDIT: I noticed I don't have a Thunderbolt-Ethernet device (not in use, but still thought worth mentioning, as I don't know, whether it's 'normal' or not)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 20.39.29.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 20.39.29.png
    303.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I have a problem with my two screen

1) HDmi for two screen it is ok works win10 ans macos 10.15.4

2) with Display port works for bios but not in macos

have you got a solution ?

My kext is latest

Last edited:
Have you connected a DisplayPort cable from your Radeon VII to the port on the back of motherboard labeled DP-In? And then connected Cinema Display to Thunderbolt port closest to HDMI port?
How can I know if the dispalyport from my radeon is working?

Back