Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ, I use your GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin

Last edited:
i get this error attempting to update from 10.15.3 to 10.15.3. i tried the f11 at boot screen. and also tried to update to r5017... and suggestion.
IMG_8966.jpg

It may not be possible yet to perform a fresh installation of 10.15.4. For the time being I've made the following change to Catalina Mini-Guide:

View attachment 457572

So some interesting news to report...

TL;DR

- Good news...I was able to to a fresh install of 10.15.4 using native NVRAM / No errors / Perfect!

I can go into more detail here but the net of it was making sure to do the install with native NVRAM enabled straight away using @CaseySJ mini-guide for Catalina but building in native NVRAM support right from the start on the USB drive as he outlines for post-install.

- Bad news...this will take a little more to explain...

I started adding applications and download my Photos library, sync’ing iMessages, etc. I probably worked for about an hour. I walked away and when I came back my three monitors had all the same information up but everything was frozen except the mouse. Nothing I could do to get anything to happen but yet disk activity was significant.

I rebooted, checked APFS and did the same. This time I put up Activity Monitor and took a snapshot of the time as soon as I stopped doing anything on the system. In about 6’ish minutes things locked up again, mouse movement only and disk activity due to downloading 50+ GB of photos must have been proceeding. The process that looked like the culprit...

mediaanalysisd

So I did this a few more times to make sure it was that and it was. I’m not sure if this is the actual issue that is referenced in @CaseySJ guide that effects RX 5700 (XT) owners, but it is what’s causing the issue in this case (and I’m using a Vega 64 to drive all three of the monitors). Interestingly “photolibraryd” and “com.apple.photos.ImageConversionService” (as I’m looking at Activity Monitor right now) are using 10% and 50% of my CPU and they cause no issues. It seems “mediaanalysisd” only runs after some reasonable period of no activity and that’s where the problem occurs.

I should also note that I did not encounter this this issue on my clean 10.15.3 install...so I’m not sure what’s different.

I’m going to let the system run overnight and see if it can complete all the photos tasks even with the system frozen as it seems like it is still doing a significant amount of processing. I’ll report back in the Morning (it’s 9:27pm here in PDT right now). Worst case I’ll do a fresh install of 10.15.3 and wait for a fix or workaround as disabling that service isn’t an option for my as I use Photos a lot.

I’m open to any suggestions!

Lam

Hello everyone, I'm having a minor issue: I keep losing Bluetooth when upgrading from USB-inject-all 0.7.3 to 0.7.5. Rolling back to 0.7.3 fixes the issue. But this seems weird. Is there anything I'm missing here?

You beauty mate! Bonza!

Thankyou @CaseySJ, @Elias64Fr and all the others that have made this a reality!

After updating my onboard TB3 EEPROM it appears that everything is working, but still need to do further testing.
I have Razer Core X eGPU, OCW TB3 10Gbe and Caldigit TX3 Plus dock all working and sidecar on my iPad Pro.

I followed @CaseySJ excellent guide *** Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide for Designare Z390 ***

I found an easier way to burn the EEPROM image which I have let @CasseySJ know in a PM so he can see if he can replicate it and if so release the procedure on this thread. I don't want anyone damaging their Designare as I did to my old board, an AU$512.00 mistake.

Later tonight or tomorrow I will see if the TB3 to TB3 network will work with this hack and my 2019 MacBook Pro (or as I call it my lap warmer!). also may try the TR in the last slot.

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 3.41.54 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 3.42.08 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 3.42.42 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 3.46.02 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 4.13.14 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 4.13.40 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 4.14.06 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 4.17.33 pm.jpg

hello @CaseySJ,
This is the txt that I used the command feedback

Attachments

• TB3-log.txt
    63.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 10.51.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 10.51.22 AM.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Hey Guys i got some news and decided to share with the community, two days ago I decided to do a clean install of 10.15.4
Using the mini guide And I was finally successful when I stopped caring about the error codes , there are a two curve balls when using 10.15.4 , Assuming you have the time correctly set in your Bios , There are two errors that get thrown your way during installation (see attached images ) the installation throws an error with two minutes remaining , reboot and boot into the usb again to continue installation then when it finishes it will give you the second error regarding bless tool and choosing the right startup disk , reboot and boot from usb again and choose to boot Mac OS from your Mac OS partition if you named it Catalina as per the mini guide that is going to be the one , from that moment on everything goes smoothly and that is pretty much what I did , Thank you@CaseySJ all the kexts load correctly now , my only hesitation is regarding the the installation of RC scripts for use with EmuNvram vs native nvram

Attachments

• 5EA96AE7-9F8D-4029-8450-D81A51ACCB0F.jpeg
    5EA96AE7-9F8D-4029-8450-D81A51ACCB0F.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 203
  • AC42E342-34B8-43BB-88B5-9FED0C38B0DD.jpeg
    AC42E342-34B8-43BB-88B5-9FED0C38B0DD.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 172
You beauty mate! Bonza!

Thankyou @CaseySJ, @Elias64Fr and all the others that have made this a reality!

After updating my onboard TB3 EEPROM it appears that everything is working, but still need to do further testing.
I have Razer Core X eGPU, OCW TB3 10Gbe and Caldigit TX3 Plus dock all working and sidecar on my iPad Pro.

I followed @CaseySJ excellent guide *** Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide for Designare Z390 ***

I found an easier way to burn the EEPROM image which I have let @CasseySJ know in a PM so he can see if he can replicate it and if so release the procedure on this thread. I don't want anyone damaging their Designare as I did to my old board, an AU$512.00 mistake.

Later tonight or tomorrow I will see if the TB3 to TB3 network will work with this hack and my 2019 MacBook Pro (or as I call it my lap warmer!). also may try the TR in the last slot.

Congratulations! Once again I should say that a flashed internal (on-board) Titan Ridge controller seems to be functioning much better than any flashed add-in-card so far.
** Supplemental Procedure for Connecting External SPI Flasher to Designare Z390 **
Credit: @jb007

** DEC 2020: DEPRECATED **
Please refer to this guide for using a 3.3V USB CH341a programmer

This worked like a charm! Here's the procedure I used:
  • Flip power switch OFF on the Designare power supply unit (PSU).
  • Remove power cable from Designare power supply unit (PSU).
  • Wait a few seconds for capacitors (residual charge) to discharge. (Keep power cable unplugged.)
  • Make sure Raspberry Pi is turned off.
  • Disconnect pin 8 (Vcc or power) from SOIC8 clip.
  • Connect SOIC8 clip to Thunderbolt chip so that it swallows the chip.
  • Turn on Raspberry Pi.
  • Open Terminal.
  • Run flashrom as shown below to read the chip -- it should not work, but it should partially detect the chip.
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=2048 -r Designare-1.bin
flashrom  on Linux 4.19.97-v7l+ (armv7l)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns).
Found Generic flash chip "unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0 kB, SPI) on linux_spi.
===
This flash part has status NOT WORKING for operations: PROBE READ ERASE WRITE
The test status of this chip may have been updated in the latest development
version of flashrom. If you are running the latest development version,
please email a report to [email protected] if any of the above operations
work correctly for you with this flash chip. Please include the flashrom log
file for all operations you tested (see the man page for details), and mention
which mainboard or programmer you tested in the subject line.
Thanks for your help!
Read is not working on this chip. Aborting.
  • Now connect power cable to the Designare PSU.
  • Flip power switch on Designare power supply unit to ON. (Again, make sure pin 8 is disconnected.)
  • Run flashrom as shown below. It worked the first time.
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=2048 -r Designare-1.bin
Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q80.V" (1024 kB, SPI) on linux_spi.
Reading flash... done.

pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=2048 -r Designare-2.bin
Reading flash... done.

pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=2048 -r Designare-3.bin
Reading flash... done.
  • Make sure checksums match on all 3 read attempts.
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ shasum *
0f70c0d010ddd0f1494d53a01751ae0fa691959d  Designare-1.bin
0f70c0d010ddd0f1494d53a01751ae0fa691959d  Designare-2.bin
0f70c0d010ddd0f1494d53a01751ae0fa691959d  Designare-3.bin

Last edited:
Some success. All credit to @Elias64Fr for the patched firmware and @CaseySJ .

@CaseySJ - Have I got this right ? IOReg (before SSDT and after SSDT) and bootlog attached. I know nothing about an SSDT, so I modified one that I found here with my Thunderbolt DROM. If you see any mistakes - please help me to correct them.
I got the CRC8 and the CRC32 errors - Have corrected them in the SSDT. (thank you, Elias and others for the amazing work and explanation)

Hotplugging, Cold reboot and Thunderbolt bridge works. Will test more tomorrow.
Under the PCI section I see some information missing.

My original DROM is here (NVM20.bin.zip) - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2086474

And info about the DROM is here - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2086474

@rj510
Hello @mango1122,

Your setup looks good. Thunderbolt Switch is at port 3 and configured correctly. I'll add this to the Repository and create a Thunderbolt DROM micro-guide.

The only potential issue (and it may or may not be consequential) is a set of IOThunderboltFamily errors like this:

(IOThunderboltFamily) IOThunderboltController::configReadDWord - ERROR: synchronous call on workloop thread.
(IOThunderboltFamily) IOThunderboltController::configReadDWord - ERROR: synchronous call on workloop thread.
(IOThunderboltFamily) IOThunderboltSwitch<0x0>(0x0)::listenerCallback - Thunderbolt HPD packet for route = 0x0 port = 1 unplug = 1
(IOThunderboltFamily) IOThunderboltSwitch<0x0>(0x0)::listenerCallback - Thunderbolt HPD packet for route = 0x0 port = 2 unplug = 1

Are you seeing any real world issues with Thunderbolt?

Back