Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ I can confirm that the firmware you shared with me for on board Titan Ridge on the X299X Designare 10G is working as expected! I will post actual files soon, (the whole procedure had to be done remotely and don't have access to the machine in question right now)

Bravo :clap:!

After researching all last night on hackintosh-forum.de Im wondering if the only solution to my "UAD apollo connects but no sound" situation is flashing the Titan Ridge controller with the modified firmware. I have triple checked everything, have just a few unknowns still. Is there possibly something in Library/Extensions I am missing, or one of the obscure TB settings in BIOS that needs to be changed? If there is anyone who could take a look at my EFI and config.plist or offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• config.plist
    3.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 14.47.09.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 14.47.09.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
Therefore, after backing up the system, I should:
- Install macOS Catalina in the second APFS Volume
- Reboot into macOS Mojave
- Mount the EFI partition and replace the EFI folder with the one provided in your macOS Catalina installation guide
- Copy ALL Hackintosh kexts from /Library/Extensions to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
- Delete all hackintosh kexts in /Library/Extensions and run Kext Utility to rebuild Mojave's kernel cache.
- Reboot

Sorry but I would like to be sure I understood correctly: I should copy ALL the hackintosh kexts in /Library/Extensions, (including AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext, AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext, FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext, FakePCIID.kext and all the FakeSMC _ *** Sensors.kext)?
See Post #1 and #2 here:

@CaseySJ I can confirm that the firmware you shared with me for on board Titan Ridge on the X299X Designare 10G is working as expected! I will post actual files soon, (the whole procedure had to be done remotely and don't have access to the machine in question right now)

Bravo :clap:!
Looking forward to it!

Once I see your post showing confirmation, I'll create a DROM customization micro-guide for the Designare X299X.

Last edited:
hi @CaseySJ

not sure if you were able to look over my post number #17,169, but I have gone over all of your guides for wakeups and nothing seems to be working :/ do you have any idea what I might be missing
Hello @ncrispi,

You've certainly done your homework on sleep/wake troubleshooting. Whenever I'm faced with an intractable problem such as this, then having exhausted all reasonable alternatives, I fall back to the Process of Elimination.
  • First disconnect all internal and external USB devices except for Fenvi Bluetooth, if that cable is connected.
  • Also disconnect all Thunderbolt devices.
  • Perform a CMOS Reset by following instructions in the Designare user's manual. Because this will reset BIOS parameters to factory defaults, reconfigure them starting always with Load Optimized Defaults. Failure to start with that can lead to lots of headaches.
  • Now check sleep / wake.
  • If it's still a problem, we are left with no other choice but this:
    • Find or purchase a spare cheap SATA SSD (64GB, 128GB, 256GB).
    • Then install the SATA SSD into the PC case or use an external USB 3 enclosure. I tend to use external USB 3 enclosures for the sake of convenience.
    • Perform a clean fresh installation of Catalina on the spare disk. You might want to install 10.15.3 instead of the latest 10.15.4 due to some reports of install problems.
    • Then, without installing any of your applications or peripherals (except keyboard and mouse), check sleep/wake behavior.
    • Let us know the result.

Clover and 10.15.4 updates not playing nice....

• Attempts to update to from clover 5104 to 5107 are throwing a CLOVERX64.efi not found error
  • Attempts to update to 10.15.4 hang at the apple logo with no progress bar (I've let it it >30 mins)
I have a solid CCC backup with EFI partition and most recent kexts in c/o folder ... I'm stuck on what to try next

Clover and 10.15.4 updates not playing nice....

• Attempts to update to from clover 5104 to 5107 are throwing a CLOVERX64.efi not found error
  • Attempts to update to 10.15.4 hang at the apple logo with no progress bar (I've let it it >30 mins)
I have a solid CCC backup with EFI partition and most recent kexts in c/o folder ... I'm stuck on what to try next
  • You may try this approach to update Clover.
  • However, I've found that latest Clover isn't necessarily the cure. I had more luck after clearing NVRAM by pressing F11 at Clover Boot Menu.

• You may try this approach to update Clover.
  • However, I've found that latest Clover isn't necessarily the cure. I had more luck after clearing NVRAM by pressing F11 at Clover Boot Menu.

I've pressed F11 when clover is asking for a boot volume and I don't get any kind of feedback or response to indicate that the NVRAM was reset, so I? I also haven't moved to native NVRAM as of yet if that matters?

I've pressed F11 when clover is asking for a boot volume and I don't get any kind of feedback or response to indicate that the NVRAM was reset, so I? I also haven't moved to native NVRAM as of yet if that matters?
Clover won't provide any response to F11; it will silently clear NVRAM. I have two Designare Z390 systems, and the update experience on them was different:
  • Test Bench.
    • This was a fresh installation of Catalina. It has very few apps.
    • All kexts are in /CLOVER/kexts/Other.
    • Native NVRAM enabled.
    • Latest Clover, Lilu, WEG, AppleALC, VirtualSMC.
    • Update from 10.15.3 to 10.15.4 was very smooth.
    • No "bless" errors in which macOS is unable to select a startup disk.
    • No leftover "Install macOS" volumes in Clover.
    • AMD RX 580.
  • Main System.
    • This started with Mojave and was upgraded in-place to Catalina.
    • Kexts are in both /L/E and CLOVER/kexts/Other.
    • Clover 5104.
    • Older versions of Lilu, WEG, AppleALC, and VirtualSMC. Two revisions old.
    • Uses EmuVariable and RC scripts. Native NVRAM not enabled.
    • AMD RX 5700 XT.
    • Update from 10.15.3 to 10.15.4 went through, but received "bless" error at the end.
    • "Install macOS" volumes were left over in Clover.
    • Being unable to remove the leftover "Install macOS" volumes, I erased the hard drive and restored it back to 10.15.3 from a full backup made immediately before performing the update.
    • This time I switched to full native NVRAM.
    • Left all kexts and Clover the same.
    • Received "no-entry" sign on restart.
    • Cleared NVRAM in Clover Boot Menu (F11). Tried again.
    • Now the install went through to the end, but received "bless" error again.
    • Leftover "Install macOS" volumes still present.
    • Will try different techniques to remove them.
    • I also re-ran the update with latest Clover and kexts, but again ran into "bless" error at the end.
    • Not sure why this system responded differently from the Test Bench.

I have a TB3>2 adapter going into a Corning optical TB2 cable (33’) into another TB3>2 adapter that connects to my Apollo. So the adapter is def not an issue.
Have you considered trying the Titan Ridge card?
I’ll take a look at your EFI this weekend but I am no SSDT expert - I just matched the port from ioregexplorer into the SSDT and that’s it. Please post your ioregexplorer results when you search ‘thunder’ WITHOUT any TB SSDT and a screenshot or photo of you TB bios settings and I will do my best!

edit: I forgot to mention (since I seldom do this): 1 out of every 5 times if I shut down my Apollo while the machine is running, everything freezes completely and I have to hard reset. Most of the time, it’s just like in the video I posted

My mobo is the one specified in this build (the Designare Z390) which has two built-in Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 ports. If you could post your non-flashed Thunderbolt SSDT that allows your Apollo to "hot swap", I could tune it to my system. Thanks!

Attachments

• SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml
    6.1 KB · Views: 99
Back