Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This is another reason I prefer the looooooong Mojave guide in Post #1 versus the little Mini-Guide for Catalina because the Mojave guide is transparent -- it makes you do all the little steps and gives at least some explanation for each step. But the Catalina Mini-Guide is more of a black box -- you don't really know what's under the hood.

If I recall correctly, Volvo once released a car where the hood (or bonnet) could only be opened by service technicians. The user only experienced the user-interface of the car, but the rest was a black box.

If all cars were like this, imagine the outcome...for every little problem or strange sound or warning sign the user would have to consult a technician. Users would be unable to be their own first responders; they would be unable to solve their own problems. And service technicians would be inundated with calls -- much like hospitals today being flooded with COVID-19 patients.

I feel that something of this type is happening as everyone takes the short cut to install Catalina from the Mini-Guide.
Thanks Casey, I had thought the preferred method was the Catalina mini-guide, but I see your point about using the Mojave guide. I do want to learn more about the inner workings of a hackintosh.

The upgrade to 10.15.4 seems to have worked. I'm just left with the install Mac OS entry on the clover boot screen. I believe luvlastcall has the same issue. When I run the terminal command you asked him to run ( ls -al /Volumes ) there are no entries called Mac OS. Any suggestions. As always, I really appreciate all the help you give to us noobs!

Just updated to 10.15.4. First, updated to Clover 5107 (was 5103) then update the lilu,web and Apple Ale.
Only one long reboot after select install from reboot then with blind screen, not showing nothing on screen for 10 min.
After a reboot came on the normal boot sequence and update is completed.
All working as before...

Nope, I only had trouble with placing the clip right on the chip, it's just next to the ram slots and the clip barely fits, after 5 trials it just went fine.

NOTE: The power button on the board did slightly lit when the clip was correctly placed on top.
You may try the attached modified firmware for the Gigabyte X299X Designare if you so choose. All disclaimers apply:
  • Flashing the chip incurs risk of damage.
  • The new firmware may not work at all.
  • You assume all responsibility / liability for the decision to flash the modified firmware.
We should always start by attempting 3 consecutive read attempts and making sure that all three checksums are identical (shasum <filename>). Then attempt to flash the chip.

If it's successful, read the chip once again just to be sure and compare checksum of the new file.

If everything is okay, perform a cold start (power cable removed or switch on PSU turned off for 10 seconds). On the first attempt, no Thunderbolt SSDT should be used.

Attachments

• Titan-Ridge-X299X-DSG-10G-Mod1-CaseySJ.bin.zip
    270.3 KB · Views: 77
@CaseySJ

Do you think there is a motherboard asus with two or more TB3?

*** EDIT **** SOLVED **** weird... I tried booting a few times and had the same issue. But then I switched the USB drive to the 3.1 port instead of the 3.0 port on the MB and now for some reason it worked and I'm continuing with the post install. If anyone else runs into this problem, that might be your solution! ******

I tried searching for this error but couldn't find info on it.

As far as I know I followed this instructional to the tee, with the exception of one part which I'll detail after describing the problem.

Basic overview of the problem;
1. After successful install, at first boot of Mojave we stalled on the Wifi setup
2. Tried a reboot to see if that would help
3. After reboot, booting from Mojave brought me to a black screen with a white circle backslash symbol (no symbol) and that's as far as we get.

Detailed description;

Ran into a problem right at this section of the tutorial:

"Notice that the word "Install" is no longer present in these new names. Installation is already done, so now we choose Boot macOS from Mojave. This is the actual Mojave OS disk.
When the Welcome screen appears choose your region, your keyboard, etc. But do not sign in to iCloud at this time. Choose Setup Later instead. Signing into iCloud registers the serial number of the computer, but this serial number will change in Post-Installation, which will then result in two new systems being registered in iCloud. So skip iCloud sign-in until post-installation is done and you've rebooted after post-installation.
Now that Mojave is up and running, we need to enable all of the goodies on this motherboard, such as hot-plug Thunderbolt 3, both of the gigabit Ethernet ports, on-board Realtek audio, Broadcom Bluetooth, etc. And we also need to enable various Mojave features such as sleep, wake, Messages, FaceTime, etc. This is all accomplished in Post Installation, which begins right now..."

My error came right after selecting the region, keyboard language, and then Wifi setup. It recognized my wifi (signalling the wifi card is working?) but the screen stalled here. My wifi router sent me a push notification saying "A device called Apple iMac just connected to your home network for the first time" So clearly it did connect to wifi but the screen stalled here for a good 15 mins. I figured a reboot might help and tried this. Only now when I try to boot into Mojave (F12 at bios -> USB drive --> from clover choosing Boot Mojave OS (which is on internal SSD)) all I get is a black screen with a white circle with a backslash through it.

Any ideas on what caused this and solutions?

NOW: to the only part I know seemed different from the tutorial;

at this section:

"And no changes are needed in System Parameters. Now save the config.plist and quit Clover Configurator.
We're almost done. We need to delete AptioMemoryFix-64.efi from the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder on the EFI partition of the USB install disk and replace it with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi as shown in the red box below. Please download this EFI file from the bottom of this guide."

It appears like the version of Unibeast I used (9.3.0) had slightly different setup. It didn't have a driver folder called "Drivers64UEFI" I think it was just "DriversUEFI" and then "AptioMemoryFix-64.efi" didn't exist but there was something like "AptioMemoryFix.efi" which I replaced with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi.

Also the Lilu and Whatevergreen KEXTS were in the proper file already so I left them there.

Not sure if this would have caused the issue I had, but it's worth mentioning.

My build:

MB: Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU: i9-9900k
GPU: MSI Aero 1080 Ti
SSD's: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M2 Internal SSD 1tb, + 500tb (for OS)
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 64GB Kit (16GBx4) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin - BLS4K16G4D240FSB (Gray)
Wifi: fenvi T919 BCM94360CD Native Airport WiFi BT 4.0 1750Mbps 5GHz/2.4GHz MIMO

All thoughts and help are much appreciated! Been running into issues and I can't wait to get this up.

NOTE* Installing Mojave be cause of this issue I ran into detailed on this thread:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 4.09.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 4.09.07 PM.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Hello @intothevoid,

The "no entry" symbol most likely indicates a memory allocation error. Please try this:
  • At the Clover Boot Menu, press spacebar.
  • Use arrow keys to highlight Verbose and press spacebar to toggle it on.
  • Press ESC to return to Clover Boot Menu.
  • Now try booting macOS.
  • Grab a screenshot/photo of the problem. You may upload a reduced-size image (6.3MB is a bit too much!).

Back