Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @dadest,

My understanding of UAD's Thunderbolt-based Apollo devices is that they do not need to operate on USB 2.0. So HS08 and HS13 are not needed. Your latest settings look okay (there is no HS08 or HS13).

But we typically have to do this:
  • Install latest UAD macOS drivers.
  • Install latest UAD firmware on the Apollo itself.
If any UAD Apollo owners are reading this, please provide some connection advice...
First up is activating TB in Windows. This recently became a bit more challenging than it was a year ago. Nowadays you have to make sure you have the LATEST windows update, and then you have to make sure you have the latest TB drivers.
The only gripe I have with the new TB drivers/firmware firmware is that I have to power cycle or disconnect/connect the Apollo if I restart the computer. The 'HOST' light won't turn off on restart - luckily hot-swap works so it's only a minor inconvenience. I reached out to Gigabyte, but since I have an Asus board they wrote me off. I tested this on a friends Z390 Aorus Master with GC Titan Ridge and it happens there as well. This is not an issue when powering off and on. I've been meaning to ask about this since all of this juicy TB testing that's been happening here...
Once the device shows up in Windows, with proper BIOS settings, you can install the UAD drivers in OSX and the device should show up!
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 1.14.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 1.15.29 PM.png

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help! I've been silently watching this thread BLOW UP with all of the TB testing and it brings me much joy!

Cheers!

@dadest

Please see post directly above...

i have followed the instructions and fresh install to the t! i also enabled nvram support via changing the msr to 0x0 for the f9b designare bios firmware on the motherboard. i have serious trouble with wake and sleep freezing and half the time a black boot screen as well as the automatic restarts during boot load in clover i can't change the shikigva it is stuck at set to (40) running on display port from the internal graphics card igpu (amd vega frontier liquid cool edition). i can't find any where on any forum to set the shiki-id for this type of amd graphics igu. i'm wondering now if this is a amd vega frontier edition issue because i also can't remove the emuvariable.efi inside the clovers/drivers/uefi folder after successfully enabling the msr 0x0 nvram. the said instructions with @CaseySJ allows you to enable nvram while removing the emuvariable the default efi file to allow clover to override the system nvram. i also removed the rc scripts that was recommended in the designare msr procedure. this works then doesn't it seems to be choosy. i will attach my efi folder and screenshots to anyone who is willing to take a look at the configuration i have set up. if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix the issues with possibly the amd vega frontier edition please let me know. i really need help with the setup of shiki-id for the amd frontier edition graphics card. i have a lg 4k display using display port from the gpu. @CaseySJ suggestions? thank you in advanced !

p.s: i also can't remove the darkwake=0 in the clover boot argument section as this also negatively impacts the system from booting.
Let's start with a list of all hardware components:
  • Gigabyte Designare Z390
  • Intel i9-9900K?
  • Vega FE Liquid Cooled GPU
  • Memory?
  • SSD make/model?
  • CPU cooler make/model?
  • WiFi/BT card?
  • Any Firewire cards? Any other PCIe cards?
  • Any Thunderbolt devices connected?
Please note that your EFI folder shows some differences compared to the Catalina Mini-Guide. For example:

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 1.02.13 PM.png
  • There is no SSDT-EC.
  • There is no Thunderbolt SSDT.
  • There is no NO-CNVW SSDT.
  • USBPorts.kext conflicts with SSDT-UIAC-DZ390-V1.aml. You can only have one or the other, not both.
  • When native NVRAM is enabled, EmuVariableUefi.efi must be deleted. If the system fails to boot without EmuVariableUefi.efi, then something else is wrong, but EmuVariableUefi.efi must be removed.
Is the liquid-cooled Vega connected to the internal F_USB header on the motherboard?

If you suspect that the Vega is a problem, have you tried physically removing the Vega? Your iGPU is already configured for Platform ID 0x3E9B0007, so you can connect monitor directly to the video ports on the rear IO panel.

@Casey, I left the description in my profile because I feel I deserve the stupid label. But I cant figure out why my build is so slow at shut down. So If you could give me advice it would really be apreciated. Are the settings in my last post allright? Just asking.

@Casey, I left the description in my profile because I feel I deserve the stupid label. But I cant figure out why my build is so slow at shut down. So If you could give me advice it would really be apreciated. Are the settings in my last post allright? Just asking.
No need to berate yourself over this. Please edit your profile and enter your CPU, GPU, and Motherboard details. No one is above the law...or the rules!

At the Clover Boot Menu you can see the version number at the bottom of the screen or by pressing "A" for About.
Thanks Casey. I unplugged all other drives and then checked at the Clover Boot Menu by pressing "A", and it said I was on 5107. I guess Clover was being loaded from a backup drive. All good on that issue.

Now for an embarrassingly stupid question - how do I update Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC? Via hackintool? I used the Catalina mini guide originally to do a fresh install and haven't messed with it since then.

Done and just feel stupid. As I had to read the thread better. System is working really great except the shutdown. Is this normal? And if not. Maybe you can help. Thanks!

I see! Can you post a screenshot of your /Library/Extensions folder and your CLOVER/kexts/Other folder?
Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 10.42.02 PM.pngScreenshot 2020-03-25 at 10.44.12 PM.png
I must also mention that i got it working by placing the SmallTreeIntel82576.kext in the Libraries /Extentions folder instead of the Clover/Kexts/Other folder which got me thinking maybe its something in my plist not injecting the kext , but wouldn't the other kexts also not work if that was the case ? when i did that i checked IORegistryExplorer again and there was another little branch under the FakePCIID showing the i211 linked also to the SmallTreeIntel82576 i have now removed the SmallTreeIntel82576.kext from Libraries /Extentions and placed it back into Clover/Kexts/Other and again the i211 dosent work ..

Thanks Casey. I unplugged all other drives and then checked at the clover boot menu by pressing "A" and it said I was on 5107. I guess clover was being loaded from a backup drive. All good on that issue.

Now for an embarrassingly stupid question - how do I update Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC? Via hackintool? I used the Catalina mini guide originally to do a fresh install and haven't messed with it since then.
I prefer to download those kexts from the Acidanthera GitHub site and just copy the .kext files into CLOVER/kexts/other.

Hello @dadest,

My understanding of UAD's Thunderbolt-based Apollo devices is that they do not need to operate on USB 2.0. So HS08 and HS13 are not needed. Your latest settings look okay (there is no HS08 or HS13).

But we typically have to do this:
  • Install latest UAD macOS drivers.
  • Install latest UAD firmware on the Apollo itself.
If any UAD Apollo owners are reading this, please provide some connection advice...

Here I am! I think you've got them all listed.

You'll here a few clicks as it connects and matches the sample rate your computer is asking for. I believe it's about 3 clicks. When you only here two it's a no go.

I used to have to unplug the computer and drain the caps then turn on the Apollo until all the clicks happen. Then plug in the computer and boot.

Back