Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

new chip, new try... I used padding method to get the Firmware to the needed Size :)
Windows just bricked my Chip...

View attachment 455923

@CaseySJ : No, there are no guides out there but I am very familiar with such type of boards.
If you want I can write an guide here on tonymac for it, just need some time...
At the moment some other stuff is more important but I would do that as a thank you for all the work you guys did here for us.

Without any SSDT and AIC Connector bridged.

View attachment 455925

@CaseySJ Padded Firmware which was shown in the pictures attached.

I'm so sorry for that. I forgot to tell you the firmware should still go with SSDT.

At this time yes we need to use an external flasher. We're looking into the possibility of using Linux, but that may take a while.
Awesome, thanks Casey! I want to do this myself too, I just can't decide if I want to flash it with my RPi3 or just buy a CH341A flasher. But now I see that @S1lla bricked his motherboard and I wouldn't want this to happen to mine.

No problem. Here you are!

As you can see in the picture, the firmware version is "47.1". That is the latest Thunderbolt 3 firmware for iMac19,1.

View attachment 455936

View attachment 455937

View attachment 455938
@johnny7874209 @CaseySJ @S1lla
This smell like a good alternative for GC Titan ridge :thumbup: with required Thunderbolt DROM on SSDT (as this one is not included on firmware)... But we can replace Apple dummy TDROM by that of the original GC-Titan-Ridge firmware :)

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks Casey! I want to do this myself too, I just can't decide if I want to flash it with my RPi3 or just buy a CH341A flasher. But now I see that @S1lla bricked his motherboard and I wouldn't want this to happen to mine.
He didn't brick the motherboard. He's playing with a lifetime supply of Winbond chips that he's soldering to the motherboard. He is on a different playground from the rest of us! :)

The preferred option for Designare Z390 is the Raspberry Pi. However, flashing a chip does incur risk. We ask everyone who's considering this option to evaluate the risk for themselves.

@CaseySJ @S1lla

Have you experienced a slow down at beginning of apple boot scrolling bar for around 5 seconds ?

@CaseySJ
This morning I flashed the TBEX3 without warning and problem.
A reboot in BIOS in peripherals the TBEX3 isn't dead.:)
So i booted on MacOs but no Thunderbolt PCi on IOReg
In windows too in peripherals system I don't appears
Perhaps may I install the Alpine Ridge drivers , I will see if it works

Update:

I found a strange thing! If the card is flashed firmware from BlackmagicDesign eGPU, the USB-C hotplug works normally.
Have you fully compared the differences between flashing (a) eGPU firmware to GC-Titan Ridge and (b) flashing iMac 19,1 firmware to GC-Titan Ridge?
  • eGPU is a peripheral device
  • iMac 19,1 is a host device
In your IORegistry screenshot, I notice that RP05.UPSB.DSB2 has no USB ports showing. Was that screenshot taken with:
  • iMac19,1 firmware on GC-Titan Ridge?
  • eGPU firmware on GC-Titan Ridge?
I also notice that your SSDT does not define USB ports HS01 and HS02. Please see the sample SSDT located in the GC-Titan Ridge DROM Micro-Guide.

@CaseySJ @S1lla

Have you experienced a slow down at beginning of apple boot scrolling bar for around 5 seconds ?
I don't think so. With a simple TB3 device (like Apple Gigabit Ethernet adapter) connected, my Designare Test Bench has about a 1 second gap. With a more complicated device with more ports such as Belkin Dock Pro, it's perhaps 2 seconds or so... Not very noticeable.

@johnny7874209 @CaseySJ @S1lla
This smell like a good alternative for GC Titan ridge :thumbup: with required Thunderbolt DROM on SSDT (as this one is not included on firmware)... But we can replace Apple dummy TDROM by that of the original GC-Titan-Ridge firmware :)
@CaseySJ @S1lla
Remember that what I have experienced here with Apple original firmware on Z390 Designare with the only issue on XHC2 not recognised without any devices connected at boot.

@johnny7874209
Do you have same issue ?

@CaseySJ
This morning I flashed the TBEX3 without warning and problem.
A reboot in BIOS in peripherals the TBEX3 isn't dead.:)
So i booted on MacOs but no Thunderbolt PCi on IOReg
In windows too in peripherals system I don't appears
Perhaps may I install the Alpine Ridge drivers , I will see if it works
Thanks -- no need to do further tests. The original firmware should be flashed back until we can generate another version...

Back