Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Here is the firmware from my GC-Alpine Ridge AIC. Is there a patched firmware here somewhere that I can try, or does this one need to be patched?
Thanks.

Attachments

• GC-AR firmware.bin.zip
    146.4 KB · Views: 103
To be honest @Elias64Fr send me a different Version, which he did for his own Asus Laptop,
before you posted the 2 bin files but I can test them aswell tonight :)

Did a quick compare via Hex Fiend and all versions are different.
Please post the one that works. I will compile all working/tested firmware files into a single post.

here is the firmware from my GC-Alpine Ridge AIC. is there a patched firmware here somewhere that I can try, or does this one need to be patched?
thanks
This is why I want to create a single consolidated post for all of the modified TB3 firmware.

Meanwhile, please see these two posts from yesterday. Try the xxxx-MOD-1.bin files first.
I've asked @NorthAmTransAm and @scottkendall to post their most current modified firmware for GC-Alpine Ridge. Once that's done, I'll add a reference to it from Post #1.

UPDATE:
  • I decided to try and patch your NVM 20 for GC-Alpine Ridge.
  • Attached ZIP has 2 versions.
  • Please see which one works (if any).
  • No guarantee that either file will work, so please be prepared to flash original firmware back to the chip.
Please try the two files in attached ZIP. Your firmware is slightly different from @StefanAM. There's no guarantee that either one will work, so please be ready to flash original firmware back.

If one of them works, please let me know which one that is.

This is why I want to create a single consolidated post for all of the modified TB3 firmware.

Meanwhile, please see these two posts from yesterday. Try the xxxx-MOD-1.bin files first.
thanks for the quick reply. I will flash the card in a few minutes.

I know you're on lockdown in Silicon Valley, but do you ever sleep?

sorry for causing you double work. I read the last 10 pages of the thread this morning, twice, but I somehow missed the attachment in this post.

thanks

@NorthAmTransAm,

The Asus Thunderbolt EX-3 firmware you posted contains both the Asus and Intel NUC firmware.
  • The first (Asus) is at the standard 0x4000 offset.
  • The second (Intel NUC) is at the alternate offset 0x82000.
  • Because the first 4 bytes are 0xFFFFFFFF, it means that the address of the active partition is located at offset 0x1000.
    Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 4.35.52 AM.png
  • When we go to offset 0x1000 we see this:
    Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 4.26.33 AM.png
  • So the active partition is the one at offset 0x82000. When we go there we find the Intel NUC firmware:
    Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 4.34.26 AM.png
  • And when we go back to 0x4000 we find the actual Asus firmware:
    Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 4.35.18 AM.png
My Asus Thunderbolt EX-3 contains:
  • NVM 16 at 0x4000
    Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 4.54.16 AM.png
  • NVM 18 at 0x82000
    Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 4.26.24 AM.png
  • And active partition is set to NVM 18 at 0x82000:
    Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 4.26.33 AM.png

Last edited:
You mean, my configuration it's ok, even if port 5 has no data on the right side?

Update: It was my mistake, man. Ssdt stuff. Now my IOreg looks OK. If anybody need some test, I'm here.View attachment 455707
Glad to see you got it working. Please post any issues you find with Thunderbolt and USB functionality or reliability. (But also mention that you're using GC-Alpine Ridge.)

Last edited:
I getting this error screen on boot after installing the lastest Lilu, WhateverGreen and AppleALC. Could anyone help me problem solve? There was also a panic on shut down but didn't take a photo. I tried reverting back to the original version but it didn't fix the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_8345.jpg
    IMG_8345.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 92
Back