Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Windows? I thought they were for letting light in...
Could you try this file ? .. It seem that on this Alpine ridge NUC, there is no magic seven but less.. that is why I don't know if it will work.
Let me know when you have done :)

Attachments

• IntelNUC_Hades_V33_Patched.bin.zip
    2 KB · Views: 70
Just got done trying the @Elias64Fr patched NVM43 GC Titan Ridge firmware. No dice on my system with either of the SSDTs posted by @CaseySJ . Does not show up under thunderbolt system info and does not fully populate in IO reg....Going to reflash back to DSM2 and try it with the SSDTs that have the apple DROM.

Edit:

@Elias64Fr NMV23 modded firmware shows up and populates the Thunderbolt tree + has hotswap. Still throwing errors up with the Antelope Audio TB Drivers.

Edit 2:

Hotswap works, but only if I alternate between ports. It wont reconnect if I replug into the same port.

Last edited:
You don't have the full thunderbolt tree, this patching method won't work.

X99A-II is a motherboard with no included thunderbolt (but header :) ), which thunderbolt add-on board ?
sorry I'm very noob :)

add-on is GC Titan Ridge.
thanks for your time !!

Last edited:
Could you try this file ? .. It seem that on this Alpine ridge NUC, there is no magic seven but less.. that is why I don't know if it will work.
Let me know when you have done :)
Thanks @Elias64Fr that was incredibly fast work. I'll report back as soon as the NUC arrives (hopefully within a few days). Thanks again for all the work you are doing for this community.

Just got done trying the @Elias64Fr patched NVM43 GC Titan Ridge firmware. No dice on my system with either of the SSDTs posted by @CaseySJ . Does not show up under thunderbolt system info and does not fully populate in IO reg....Going to reflash back to DSM2 and try it with the SSDTs that have the apple DROM.
DSM2 released a modified NVM 23 as did we yesterday. Have you tried our NVM 23 from here? It's probably no better than DSM2's version, but worth a try.

Our next challenge is to figure out how to modify ThunderboltDROM. We know what most of it means, but not how to calculate the checksum, which is necessary for authenticating the DROM.

DSM2 released a modified NVM 23 as did we yesterday. Have you tried our NVM 23 from here? It's probably no better than DSM2's version, but worth a try.

Our next challenge is to figure out how to modify ThunderboltDROM. We know what most of it means, but not how to calculate the checksum, which is necessary for authenticating the DROM.

Yes, I just updated that post with my NVM23 findings. That firmware works well but has some weird quirks with hotswap for me. Only works when alternating the ports. :lol:

Yes, I just updated that post with my NVM23 findings. That firmware works well but has some weird quirks with hotswap for me. Only works when alternating the ports. :lol:

I noticed some weird quirks also with NVM23, so I flashed the Designare z390 onto my Titian Ridge AIC. While it did not turn the best results last night under OC today under clover it is working well with the same SSDT I was using on the Alpine ridge in OP.

Warm/cold plug TB, Hotswap TB, Sleep works, USB works but after sleep needs to be replugged.

Hello @djdragon737,

Because you have the i9-9900KF, it means there is no iGPU. Therefore, in order to connect a Thunderbolt monitor (like LG UltraFine 4K or 5K) to the Designare, we have to route one DisplayPort cable from the AMD GPU (Radeon VII) to the DP-In port on the rear IO panel. Then the Thunderbolt port closest to the HDMI connector will work.

Because this motherboard has only one DP-In port, it means only one Thunderbolt port will work. However, if you replace your CPU with i9-9900K (not F) or i7-9700K then iGPU will work with both Thunderbolt ports. In fact, with iGPU we get these options:

Option 1:
  • TB port 1 --> iGPU
  • TB port 2 --> iGPU
  • DP-In --> not connected
Option 2:
  • TB port 1 --> AMD GPU
  • TB port 2 --> iGPU
  • DP-In --> connected to AMD GPU
But if there is no IGPU then there is only one option:
  • TB port 1 --> AMD GPU
  • TB port 2 --> (no video)
  • DP-In --> connected to AMD GPU
However, you can buy either Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge to add two more Thunderbolt ports. These add-in-card contain additional DP-In ports, so your Radeon VII can connect there as well.

By the way I'm unable to find information on 32UL350W. Is that an LG model? Is the model number correct?

P.S. Are you an aviation fan or work in aviation? By any chance are you working to fix the 737 MAX? :)
Actually yes, when I'm not hackintoshing i spend my time as an aviation enthusiast.
Unfortunately no I'm not working on the 737. although given the 737 max's less than Positive public image, it's probably for the best.
and sorry I meant 32UL950W the LG 4k ultrafine. I was aware that only a single Thunderbolt port would work so i tried hooking up my second Thunderbolt display to the first one which works mine on my MacBook, just not my hack.

Back