Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

First of all. Thanks for the great help. Especially Casey.
I never had a weirder install than this install of catalina.
System blacks out when installing. Had to wait till system shuts down. Powered up again and welcome screen appeared. Installed normally after that with one reboot. Weird.

System works now. Only thing is shut down is really slow. Is this normal?
Auto boot isnt working. How do I enable this in clover boot?

Thanks for all the help!

First of all. Thanks for the great help. Especially Casey.
I never had a weirder install than this install of catalina.
System blacks out when installing. Had to wait till system shuts down. Powered up again and welcome screen appeared. Installed normally after that with one reboot. Weird.
Perseverance pays off. Glad to hear it.
System works now. Only thing is shut down is really slow. Is this normal?
This might be okay. If shutdown is still slow after one week then let us know.
Auto boot isnt working. How do I enable this in clover boot?
What do you mean by "auto boot"? Do you want to skip the Clover Boot Menu? If so, try setting Timeout to 0 in Clover Configurator --> Boot.

Perseverance pays off. Glad to hear it.

This might be okay. If shutdown is still slow after one week then let us know.

What do you mean by "auto boot"? Do you want to skip the Clover Boot Menu? If so, try setting Timeout to 0 in Clover Configurator --> Boot.

Normally clover boots automaticly. Now I have to select the drive with the mouse.

And I dont think the slow shut down will go away. Should be fast now when using NVME? Or am I Wrong?

Thanks for the help Casey. Really Dont know how you can stll stay positive with people like me... ;)

In clover configurator I tried this:
- Default boot volume: Last booted volume ( isnt any other I can select)
- Legacy boot volume

Time out is on 5 sec....Dont get any time out or count down.

I Changed time out to 0. The same as before. Need to activate the volume/ssd with the mouse.

Last edited:
Normally clover boots automaticly. Now I have to select the drive with the mouse.

And I dont think the slow shut down will go away. Should be fast now when using NVME? Or am I Wrong?

Thanks for the help Casey. Really Dont know how you can stll stay positive with people like me... ;)

In clover configurator I tried this:
- Default boot volume: Last booted volume ( isnt any other I can select)
- Legacy boot volume

Time out is on 5 sec....Dont get any time out or count down.

I Changed time out to 0. The same as before. Need to activate the volume/ssd with the mouse.
Have you tried just typing in your disk name?
Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 3.09.57 PM.png

Ha ha! Yes, I did this after reading some other threads. It doesn't work. I loaded up EFI. I went to my config Plist on my loaded EFI and changed the name to the current SSD disk name. It didn't work. Weird.

Guess I know what's the problem. I have to show all devices. Wow! That's some stupidness from me again. And that's why I said, "How can you still stay possitive with people like me." I will try again.

Nope Doenst work. I discoverd that this doenst make a difference. This also shows I dont know what the F.....Im Doing. But Hey. Learning curve. But I dont know why, If im changing EFI in clover. This doesnt reflect what is seen in boot.

Last edited:
Hello!

I've been having this issue where after my POST screen, I just get a black screen but not the monitor off black screen if that makes sense. I have to hard reset and then it usually goes into clover. Sometimes takes up to 3 times to get clover - but only happens once or twice a week. I've reset nvram (F11) in clover and have done other normal clover and macO updates but it keeps happening - been a few months now.

Would appreciate any advice even though it's not for a Z390 build!

Thanks!

I just confirmed a theory of mine trying to get DRM to work on OSX. I have the Z390 Designare, MSI Vega 64 Liquid Cooled, and Intel i9 9900KS.

My Safari DRM worked flawlessly following the guide (I didn't use Multibeast, just good ole' vanilla). After I updated Mojave using Security Update 2020-001 for 10.14.6 + Safari 13.0.5, my DRM content stopped working. I couldn't get it working no matter what bitmask, Shiki settings, resetting DRM, nothing!

I simply re-installed because my USB installer installs the version right before those 2 updates, and voila! All my Safari DRM, Apple DRM, iTunes DRM works perfectly with my Vega 64.

Just a heads up to people with the Vega 64. I know a lot of people's Vega doesn't work with DRM.

My SMBIOS: iMac 19,1
CPU: Intel i9 9900KS
GPU: MSI Vega 64 Wave (Liquid Cooled)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Designare (F9b)

Last edited:
Can someone recommend a PCI Thunderbolt card for this build for additional Thunderbolt ports? Thanks.

Back