Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Issue: Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina --> Used verbose mode. after a while. Black screen. Nothing happens. Installer doesnt start.

Reboot after install. Black screen. Dont know what to do now.

Bios setup as described in main thread. --> Still black screen.

I give up for today. Thanks for the help!
Please double-check all steps, especially the sections of modifying config.plist in Clover Configurator. Don't forget the changes needed in RtVariables. If you run into trouble, just let us know.

If you search this thread for "sidecar" you should be able to find some helpful posts. I believe someone used a shikigva value (if I'm not mistaken) to get visibly better results.
What? Theres a way to search only on this thread? I diddnt found it
Sorry for the question :silent:

Alas I thought I had these jumpers in my Arduino kit, but I don't. Will order a handful from Amazon, then perform this test.

Update: Jumpers will arrive tomorrow.
UPDATE:
  • The jumper wires were likely delivered to a neighbor. This doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Will jerry rig a jumper wire if needed.
  • The GC-Titan Ridge that I flashed on Saturday is working so well in the Asus X99 Deluxe II that I plan to leave it there.
  • So I ordered and received another GC-Titan Ridge last night! :) Will flash it this evening -- hopefully using my Raspberry Pi 4. Downloaded and installed Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software yesterday afternoon.
    • The flashrom application is included in this package.
    • To enable SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) on the Pi, we need to select Preferences --> Interfaces, enable SPI and reboot.
    • Also wired an 8-pin SOI clip to the appropriate pins on the Raspberry Pi. Will photograph/document these steps if the procedure is successful.

What? Theres a way to search only on this thread? I diddnt found it
Sorry for the question :silent:
You must be viewing any post in the thread, then you can do this:
  • Click "Search" on the top right of the web page.
  • Then click the pop-up menu:
    Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 8.11.15 AM.png
  • Then select This thread
    Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 8.09.42 AM.png

UPDATE:
  • The jumper wires were likely delivered to a neighbor. This doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Will jerry rig a jumper wire if needed.
  • The GC-Titan Ridge that I flashed on Saturday is working so well in the Asus X99 Deluxe II that I plan to leave it there.
  • So I ordered and received another GC-Titan Ridge last night!

Did you consider buying an alpine ridge and using OSY firmware I ask because the alpine ridge does not have the cable wondering if that would help it work on your Designare.

Have you considered using OSY alpine firmware on a titan? I ask because OSY calms that both ports are working or at least I thought they did.

Did you consider buying an alpine ridge and using OSY firmware I ask because the alpine ridge does not have the cable wondering if that would help it work on your Designare.

Have you considered using OSY alpine firmware on a titan? I ask because OSY calms that both ports are working or at least I thought they did.
As far as I know, Osy86 modified the Alpine Ridge firmware on the Intel NUC. Not sure if that can be applied to the Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge.

As far as I know, Osy86 modified the Alpine Ridge firmware on the Intel NUC. Not sure if that can be applied to the Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge.

Yea it was a modified firmware for the intel NUC Alpine ridge I thought if it was Alpine ridge it was Alpine ridge. See this is the reason I need a Pro to hook up my cards, I would have just went and modified stuff and broke it.

Also is there a reason someone can not just make software that allows the TB3 to work in the same manner as it does under windows? Seems like all this work to get it to work the same way as a Mac but does not seem like anyone has tried to make the card engineered for windows to work in the same manner as it does in windows with software.

Yea it was a modified firmware for the intel NUC Alpine ridge I thought if it was Alpine ridge it was Alpine ridge. See this is the reason I need a Pro to hook up my cards, I would have just went and modified stuff and broke it.

Also is there a reason someone can not just make software that allows the TB3 to work in the same manner as it does under windows? Seems like all this work to get it to work the same way as a Mac but does not seem like anyone has tried to make the card engineered for windows to work in the same manner as it does in windows with software.
Thunderbolt controllers can be operated in two ways:
  • With ICM (Intel Connection Manager that is part of the Thunderbolt firmware) doing all the work of hot-plug, link training, device I/O.
  • Without ICM -- with the operating system drivers doing most of the work.
Windows operates in ICM mode and the firmware (BIOS) contains a simple method called WMI (Windows Management Interface) that allows Windows to handle some basic Thunderbolt functions.

MacOS can operate in both modes. The reason Thunderbolt with hot-plug is already working on the Designare Z390 is because it's operating in ICM mode. But this mode cannot be used to enable the more advanced Thunderbolt functionality Apple has built into macOS, namely Thunderbolt Bus and Local Node.

To enable the full potential of Thunderbolt on a macOS system, we need to activate Thunderbolt Bus and Local Node, which then puts Apple's Thunderbolt drivers in complete control. Doing this is tricky because it requires us to disable ICM mode ourselves (via SSDT), configure Thunderbolt registers/devices (UPSB, DSB0, NHI0, DSB1, DSB2, DSB4, XHC2), and provide _PS0 (power-on) and _PS3 (power-off) functions for each of the above registers/devices. This also means responding to hot-plug events and handling link training functions via SSDT.

On Alpine Ridge systems it seems that creating the necessary SSDT functions is relatively straightforward. But on Titan Ridge the task is much harder. Maybe we haven't yet figured out how to configure all the relevant registers. Maybe there's some hidden interaction with the controller's firmware. It's a good mystery!

Last edited:
You must be viewing any post in the thread, then you can do this:

This has literally made my day. I knew there had to be a way to do it!

I'm still having issues with the UHD 630 HDMI after updating my system to 10.15.3. It won't work at all - just a black screen after some jazzy looking horizontal black lines. My USB-C - DP monitor works fine when plugged in on it's own, however, if I pug in the HDMI neither monitor will function....

Dual monitors were working great on Mojave, even audio through HDMI. If I go back to faking the IntelGFX ID and inject intel as per the initial install before "going the extra mile", I can get it to mirror the USBC-DP Monitor but thats the best I can do.

I've tried both framebuffer patches included in the General Framebuffer Patching Guide as well as trying Hackintool which just generates a patch with nothing in it at all (Hackintool version + 3.2.2 CFLv2 patch -> Generate patch produces empty XML <dict/>).

If anyone knows what else to try or can post a working config for OS X 10.15.3/iGPU HDMI I'd be very grateful.

If you search this thread for "sidecar" you should be able to find some helpful posts. I believe someone used a shikigva value (if I'm not mistaken) to get visibly better results.

WOW! I've found the solution!
Just change the shikigva=32 to shikivga=80.
and done!

P E R F E C T!

now everything works like a charm.
Thanks guys, im very happy!

Back