Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ He (DSM2) posted this today: Doesn't look like it would load only under DSB1

View attachment 452430 View attachment 452431
Yes I do admit that the problem I noted might be specific to the ASUS X99 Deluxe II.

Are you following DSM2 on a German or other site? He did reply today on MacRumors, but for a different reason.

Is he open to modifying firmware for other boards?

** Quick Analysis of Patched GC-Titan Ridge Firmware **

The Osy86 article on GitBook states that for an Alpine Ridge controller we should only look for differences in the first 0x1000 (4096) bytes of the Active Partition. We do this by comparing the firmware of our device with the closest matching firmware from Apple. But this technique has apparently had limited success with Titan Ridge.

I have an Alpine Ridge and a Titan ridge card. Any chance I can mail them to you with return mailing. So that you can flash the Titan with the one you did to yours and the alpine with OSY86 flash and then send the back.

Mostly on the German site but also on macrumors.
I had a small conversation with him and he said at that time, that he wanted to check other solutions aswell, after a break but then the dirty stuff started and he wrote that he is retired.

I don't think that he will invest any time after all of the dirt that people said about him and all the issues he had. But who knows?!
@CaseySJ

Last edited:
I agree that the SSDT approach is the best solution by far. Keeps it open-source and provides a possibly more universal solution...I’m happy to test and feedback.

Thanks again Casey,I have just enabled native nvram, and everythigs went well!

I have an Alpine Ridge and a Titan ridge card. Any chance I can mail them to you with return mailing. So that you can flash the Titan with the one you did to yours and the alpine with OSY86 flash and then send the back.
I'm thinking of creating an illustrated Mini-Guide using low-cost parts so that anyone wishing to flash their cards can do so cheaply, privately, and assume all risk for themselves. :)

--- Early Prep Info ---

CH341a Chip Reader/Programmer:
  • I have both a low-cost and a high-cost chip reader/programmer.
    • Low-cost version is this onefrom Amazon.
      • This device can be used under Windows and also under macOS using flashrom in Terminal.
      • Be careful, however, because not all of these lookalike units are the same. Some may output 5V, whereas this specific unit outputs the required 3.3V.
    • High-cost version is the Reveltronics Revelprog-IS. It is available on eBay and also direct from the manufacturer.
      • This device can only be used in Windows with the Reveltronics software.
      • This device has significant safety / safeguard mechanisms built-in to protect the flash chip.
Low-Cost Version: High-Cost Version:
616GvbIfEBL._SL1001_.jpg REVELPROG-IS_v1-3_A.jpg

• The SPI Flash ROM chip on the GC-Titan Ridge is a Winbond 25Q80DV. The Data Sheet for that chip shows that it operates at any voltage between 2.7V and 3.6V.
  • The Low-Cost reader applies a 3.3V signal between pins 4 (GND) and 8 (Vcc). A little yellow jumper comes with the reader and it must be moved to pins that are marked "1" and "2" (pins are labeled on the back side of the device). The jumper should already be in this position, but if not, it should be moved there.
  • The High-Cost reader comes with custom Windows-based software that (a) auto selects the correct voltage based on chip type, and (b) also allows user to manually adjust the voltage.
Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 8.03.49 AM.png

Last edited:
Can’t wait for a Thunderbolt SSDT for Designare Z390. I’m happy to do any testing to help get this through!

I'm thinking of creating an illustrated Mini-Guide using low-cost parts so that anyone wishing to flash their cards can do so cheaply, privately, and assume all risk for themselves. :)
great idea! that would get me to buy a titan ridge card that I don't need! as we all know, the person with the most toys wins.

Our system is working well except for random UAD disconnects. Just wanted to confirm if 19,1 is still the best SMBIOS for the 9900K version of this build and whether Mojave or Catalina is better? Had to go with Catalina because we bought a 5700XT, but could go back to Mojave with a 580 if needed. Thanks.

Enable NVRAM - the easy way?
There is a newer Grub tool that seems to unlock MSR and let us keep this change as a BIOS setting. Look for Unlock MSR here. In short:
At the Grub prompt, enter:
Code: setup_var_3 0x5C1 0x0 (same as our Designare board)
Reboot into BIOS.
Save your BIOS settings profile to USB flash drive. Done!
If your BIOS ever resets itself, you won't have to manually unlock MSR again, just load your BIOS setting profile and MSR will be unlocked.

(I'm sorry, cannot test this myself)

Last edited:
Back