Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

** GC-TITAN RIDGE Owners **

@manfriday pointed me to this thread on MacRumors in which user DSM2 has publicly posted a modified Thunderbolt NVM for the GC-Titan Ridge that provides full Thunderbolt Bus and Local Node support. It also provides a link speed of 40 Gbps. There is a very simple Thunderbolt SSDT that works in conjunction with the patched firmware. Both files are in Post #725 at the bottom of the linked page.

Because I own the GC-Titan Ridge and an SPI Flash ROM chip reader/programmer, I plan to flash the modified firmware onto my card over the weekend and see if I can duplicate his results.

This is not for Designare Z390, but for motherboards with a THB_C header. [Correction: This might work even on Designare Z390, but it might require using SMBIOS MacPro7,1. Will do some testing over the weekend.] The firmware is specifically for GC-Titan Ridge, but I believe we can apply the changes to Designare Z390 NVM as well. But keep in mind that:
  • Reading/writing to the Flash ROM chip on GC-Titan Ridge is easy.
  • Reading/writing to the Flash ROM chip on Designare Z390 is very very very difficult. So the work we're doing with @Elias64Fr is still the best solution for owners of this board.
When DSM2 installed the modified GC-Titan Ridge into his 2019 Mac Pro 7,1 (yes, the $6000 machine), he got this:
QUICK UPDATE:
  • Managed to flash my GC-Titan Ridge with the DSM2 firmware last night.
  • Used a Reveltronics Revelprog IS under Windows to flash the "blue dot" Winbond chip (the "green dot" chip contains Texas Instruments flasher firmware).
  • Tried installing the modified GC-Titan Ridge into the Designare Z390, but it is not recognized.
    • This might be due to the fact that there's already a Titan Ridge controller on-board.
    • It might also be necessary to switch to MacPro7,1 because that sysdef supports multiple Titan Ridge controllers.
  • The plan now is to install it into the Asus X99 Deluxe II system (described in my signature below).

I followed your new guide for Catalina and used the files it had attached, will follow your steps and revert back. What I am surprised with is, how did this suddenly happen on its own.
This can happen under certain circumstances.
  • Have you installed or uninstalled any components in the system recently?
  • Have you unlocked MSR 0xE2 (for native NVRAM) recently?
  • Has the system been hard-reset numerous times recently?

I've run the new debug script just after a fresh restart and making sure that the CCC script wasn't working first.
I saw both the source and destination EFI partitions getting mounted and unmounted, which I'm guessing is a great sign.
Attached are both the EFIClone log and terminal logs.
Many thanks again!

Looks like that did the trick!

This was actually quite similar to the bug we found some time back where disks would be incorrectly matched due to not being properly terminated.
In your particular case the issue arose because your source volume disk has the number "1". Your system has 10 disks (after virtual disks are counted) and in one particular scenario we were trying to look for something called "disk1". Due to not properly terminating this string with a space at the end, the script would match the actual "disk1" as well as "disk10". This would then lead to the behavior you initially saw.
I have since fixed this issue in my repository and the script should now work properly for you.

@CaseySJ this is important for you as well since we now have to issue EFIClone-v5.sh.
This also goes to show that my argument about never shipping EFIClone with TEST_SWITCH="N" by default has some leverage so I'd recommend we leave it enabled by default.

@edunon I would recommend you wait for Casey to update the script in the actual backup mini-guide and then try that version on your system again. If it works fine with the test switch activated and actual file synchronization output looks reasonable, you should be good to enable it for real.

There are lots of WiFiManager logs.
  • Have you tried removing the WiFi card temporarily?
  • Alternatively, have you tried turning WiFi off from the menu bar and rebooting?

hey @CaseySJ - I don’t have a WiFi card installed? I do see Bluetooth PAN in there cause I have a small USB BT dongle.

do you mean removing the Intel chip from the board? I’m not using it and have the DSDT that removes it loaded.

** GC-Titan Ridge with Patched Firmware in Asus X99 Deluxe II Hackintosh **
It Works!

QUICK UPDATE:
  • Managed to flash my GC-Titan Ridge with the DSM2 firmware last night.
  • Used a Reveltronics Revelprog IS under Windows to flash the "blue dot" Winbond chip (the "green dot" chip contains Texas Instruments flasher firmware).
  • Tried installing the modified GC-Titan Ridge into the Designare Z390, but it is not recognized.
    • This might be due to the fact that there's already a Titan Ridge controller on-board.
    • It might also be necessary to switch to MacPro7,1 because that sysdef supports multiple Titan Ridge controllers.
  • The plan now is to install it into the Asus X99 Deluxe II system (described in my signature below).
The modified GC-Titan Ridge has been installed in my Asus X99 Deluxe II (Thunderbolt header cable also attached) along with a modified Thunderbolt SSDT (attached). The attached SSDT is only for the Asus X99 Deluxe II.

Result (emotional version):
  • OMG it works!!
Result (sober version):
  • Only Thunderbolt port 1 is functional.
  • Hot plug is functional.
  • Thunderbolt Bus is functional.
  • Thunderbolt Local Node is functional.
  • System is fully stable.
  • Update: Thunderbolt devices need to be hot-plugged to be recognized. Will check without inserting the Thunderbolt header and using a jumper to tie pins 3 and 5. Should have an answer on Mar 1 or Mar 2.
Credits:
  • Thanks to @manfriday for informing us of this firmware.
  • Firmware was modified by German user "dsm2.Hackintosh" and publicly released on MacRumors (and elsewhere).

Other World Computing (OWC) 14-Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock.

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 9.44.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 9.50.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-29 at 9.50.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 9.59.20 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-29 at 9.59.53 AM.png

PowerColor Gaming Station X eGPU with an AMD RX 580 inside. Everything works.

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 11.53.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 11.54.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-29 at 11.54.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-29 at 11.54.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-29 at 12.06.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-29 at 12.06.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 11.54.46 AM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-TBOLT3.aml
    1.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
@CaseySJ Good to hear about the GC-Titan Ridge AIC. Would you mind testing without the TB header cable attached as I have the GC-TR card but not the header on my motherboard. Without the header I can’t change the security mode to legacy so I’m not sure if I’ll ever be able to get it to work.Thanks very much!

This was actually quite similar to the bug we found some time back where disks would be incorrectly matched due to not being properly terminated.
In your particular case the issue arose because your source volume disk has the number "1". Your system has 10 disks (after virtual disks are counted) and in one particular scenario we were trying to look for something called "disk1". Due to not properly terminating this string with a space at the end, the script would match the actual "disk1" as well as "disk10". This would then lead to the behavior you initially saw.
I have since fixed this issue in my repository and the script should now work properly for you.

@CaseySJ this is important for you as well since we now have to issue EFIClone-v5.sh.
This also goes to show that my argument about never shipping EFIClone with TEST_SWITCH="N" by default has some leverage so I'd recommend we leave it enabled by default.

@edunon I would recommend you wait for Casey to update the script in the actual backup mini-guide and then try that version on your system again. If it works fine with the test switch activated and actual file synchronization output looks reasonable, you should be good to enable it for real.
@byteminer,

Thank you for handling this issue so promptly!

Using DeltaWalker to find differences between the original and modified files, I'd like to verify that this is the change:

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 10.32.51 AM.png

Yup, that's it. You can also verify this by checking the latest commit in my repository as well.
Turns out it's always single-character fixes, heh.

In an attempt to prevent this kind of issue from cropping up in the future, I've double-checked all the other methods and they should be safe from this kind of thing. As far as I can tell this is the only part of the code that is affected by this kind of thing.

Delighted to hear you found the bug @byteminer!
I'll wait for v5 to be published in the mini-guide. Thanks for your help!

Delighted to hear you found the bug @byteminer!
I'll wait for v5 to be published in the mini-guide. Thanks for your help!
Please test v5 attached here (TEST_SWITCH="Y").

Attachments

• EFIClone-v5.sh.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 64
Back