Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ

Thanks for theses informations,
this suggest that NHI0 is correctly preconfigured by BIOS and visible by our SSDT (right PID/VID on NHI0).
About XHC, it doesn't matter, this is not required at first boot time to make macOS driver connexion and list all parts of ThunderboltSwitch. Devices from RP05 to NHI0 are required to make this connexion possible at boot.

That I can see on BIOS screenshot, there is pretty much setting available (nice for different kind of devices compatibility) in contrast with my Asus Maximus board (limited to one page on last firmware, probably by Asus rules).

I can see that Thunderbolt Boot support parameter is OFF, have you tried by changing to ON ?

About ASPM, I don't see any ASPM related parameters (with possible value on L0s, L1 state or both) except Power loading that is set to Auto.
Hello @Elias64Fr,

ASPM parameters are listed under Platform Power Management. We have:
  • PEG ASMP
  • PCH ASPM
  • DMI ASPM
200214111858.jpg

I've just tried Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once, but same result as before!

200214111935.jpg

Not yet, maybe after next week (holiday), but so far NDK 0.5.4 works great, so I might just stick with this for now
Same here, but I was curious and created a separate USB Boot with OC 0.5.6 (NDK and regular). I can't get the config.plist to work. Things are changing.

Hi guys,

Ok the hack is awesome, just one little thing, TB3 port:
I have power (when attach iphone)
Iphone not showing up in finder (it does when connect via USB)

I presume the TB3 port is getting power but otherwise non functional

Here's what I've done:
-reset bios from scratch with optimized defaults and ensured I have the following as per a prior post of yours, Casey:
  • BIOS --> Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
  • BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> GPIO3 Force Pwr --> Enabled
  • And these two SSDTs that belong in the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder:
    • SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml
    • SSDT-DTPG.aml
My system report indicates the the Titan Ridge TB3 NHI is active, along with Titan Ridge USB-C.

Any further troubleshooting? I will attach my config file.

Thanks in advance, I am still in awe that I am up and running so soon with just a minor hiccup.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.1 KB · Views: 67
Hello @Elias64Fr,

ASPM parameters are listed under Platform Power Management. We have:
  • PEG ASMP
  • PCH ASPM
  • DMI ASPM
View attachment 449745

I've just tried Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once, but same result as before!

View attachment 449746
@CaseySJ
OK ! all ASPM BIOS settings are OFF state .. then have you still, under IORegExplorer, pci-aspm-default property under RP05 to NHI0, with non-zero value ?
If still different from Zero, I should directly change this incorrect state under related register.

This should be disabled like on all rMac.
The following screenshots are about MacMini8,1 (2018 model) which include two Titan ridge controllers on PEG1 and PEG2, I highlights all probably required parameters and then are different from your LSPCI datas.

Capture d’écran 2020-02-14 à 13.23.56.png

Capture d’écran 2020-02-14 à 14.09.52.png

Capture d’écran 2020-02-14 à 14.16.54.png

Capture d’écran 2020-02-14 à 14.19.55.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ
OK ! all ASPM BIOS settings are OFF state .. then have you still, under IORegExplorer, pci-aspm-default property under RP05 to NHI0, with non-zero value ?
If still different from Zero, I should directly change this incorrect state under related register.
Yes -- unfortunately they still have non-zero values!

Same here, but I was curious and created a separate USB Boot with OC 0.5.6 (NDK and regular). I can't get the config.plist to work. Things are changing.

There were many structural changes within v056 (personally, I don't understand the version numbers; the re-arrangements I think would be better termed v060 or at least the next increment).

These changes involved moving items from Misc/Boot to a new section called UEFI/Output. Further, the vault related items in Misc/Security RequireSignature (boolean) and RequireVault (boolean) are now one item called Vault (string). If you don't use vault, which most of us don't, then this new item should be set to "Optional". If the new item Vault is missing or not set to "Optional", you won't have a successful boot.

You need to go through the Docs carefully, otherwise you cannot boot with an older v055 (or early v056) Config.plist file using the latest v056 commit. There are a few other more subtle changes, so again read the Docs carefully. The attached images are for the latest v056 commit.

Also, besides updating the OpenCore.efi file, remember to update the drivers with the latest versions, esp the FwRuntimeService driver and BootX64 modules. (I use Pavo's OCBuilder.app, to keep OC up-to-date.)

At the very least, with every update, before using, even within versions, you should carefully study the Docs, esp the Changelog.md file.

Attachments

• Boot-v056.jpg
    Boot-v056.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Output-v056.jpg
    Output-v056.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hi guys,

Ok the hack is awesome, just one little thing, TB3 port:
I have power (when attach iphone)
Iphone not showing up in finder (it does when connect via USB)

I presume the TB3 port is getting power but otherwise non functional

Here's what I've done:
-reset bios from scratch with optimized defaults and ensured I have the following as per a prior post of yours, Casey:
  • BIOS --> Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
  • BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> GPIO3 Force Pwr --> Enabled
  • And these two SSDTs that belong in the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder:
    • SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml
    • SSDT-DTPG.aml
My system report indicates the the Titan Ridge TB3 NHI is active, along with Titan Ridge USB-C.

Any further troubleshooting? I will attach my config file.

Thanks in advance, I am still in awe that I am up and running so soon with just a minor hiccup.
In order to avoid exceeding macOS 15 USB-port limit, we have intentionally disabled USB 2.0 protocol on:
  • Thunderbolt/USB-C port 1
  • Thunderbolt/USB-C port 2
  • Front panel USB-C port
You may, however, use any Lightning-to-USB-A cable because all USB-A ports support USB 2.0.

Hello @CaseySJ, just to remind you I’m suing Catalina for video editing and graphics based work and wondering if I should do all of the post installation steps in the original Mojave guide. I feel the system is not performing at its best because:

• The playback in Premiere Pro is laggy and I feel like the GPU is not under any pressure or maybe not optimised to engage fully.
  • Encoding to ProRes, H264 or any other codec is really slow. Much slower than my MacBook Pro 2013. I feel like I should use the post installation guide to source where the issue is but I read earlier in your post that there’s no need for post installation when Catalina is freshly installed.

What is the next step a video editor who’s installed Catalina first on their machine?

Another question I have is:

should I switch to iMac Pro 1.1 for SMBIOS? I’m not really using sidecar but would want to have extra monitors. And if iMac Pro 1.1 is the way to go, is it just as easy as switching it in the config.plist?

Many thanks for your help. I have a fairly stable machine and am very cautious of tweaking it too much as I’m working on a project currently and can not spend too much time on troubleshooting. I do know though that the encoding issue has to be fixed as it’s too slow - almost took an hour to export a 30 sec ProRes HQ video. Thanks again

Hello @CaseySJ, just to remind you I’m suing Catalina for video editing and graphics based work and wondering if I should do all of the post installation steps in the original Mojave guide. I feel the system is not performing at its best because:
  • The playback in Premiere Pro is laggy and I feel like the GPU is not under any pressure or maybe not optimised to engage fully.
  • Encoding to ProRes, H264 or any other codec is really slow. Much slower than my MacBook Pro 2013. I feel like I should use the post installation guide to source where the issue is but I read earlier in your post that there’s no need for post installation when Catalina is freshly installed.

What is the next step a video editor who’s installed Catalina first on their machine?

Another question I have is:

should I switch to iMac Pro 1.1 for SMBIOS? I’m not really using sidecar but would want to have extra monitors. And if iMac Pro 1.1 is the way to go, is it just as easy as switching it in the config.plist?

Many thanks for your help. I have a fairly stable machine and am very cautious of tweaking it too much as I’m working on a project currently and can not spend too much time on troubleshooting. I do know though that the encoding issue has to be fixed as it’s too slow - almost took an hour to export a 30 sec ProRes HQ video. Thanks again
Hello @HackDeMac,

Good questions...
  1. When multiple GPUs are present (such as IGPU and AMD GPU), Adobe applications such as Premiere Pro will prioritize the GPU based on alphabetical order of GPU name.
    • If iGPU is called Intel UHD 630 and AMD GPU is called Radeon RX 580, then Intel UHD 630 will be prioritized.
    • If we rename the AMD GPU to AMD Radeon RX 580, then "AMD" comes before "Intel" and the RX 580 should be prioritized.
    • Have you checked the names of the RX 580 GPU in System Information --> Graphics/Displays or in System Information --> PCI?
  2. Before switching SMBIOS name, please check GPU names. We can rename a GPU by following this guide.
    • Someone recently mentioned that with latest Lilu and WhateverGreen, even SMBIOS iMacPro allows Sidecar to work! I haven't independently verified this, but it sounds intriguing...

In order to avoid exceeding macOS 15 USB-port limit, we have intentionally disabled USB 2.0 protocol on:
  • Thunderbolt/USB-C port 1
  • Thunderbolt/USB-C port 2
  • Front panel USB-C port
You may, however, use any Lightning-to-USB-A cable because all USB-A ports support USB 2.0.

Aha! Ok good to know, so it works? I didn't realize that the iphone connection is USB 2. Awesome, thank you again for all of this!

Back