Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

How about ones in High Sierra? Im assuming this isn't Titan Ridge?

I'm not sure how read which one is which ridge from the config of each.
Inside the .plist file we're looking for Ridge Silicon Device ID = 5610 or 0x15EA (Titan Ridge).

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 4.40.03 AM.png

Hello @mm2margaret,

We do currently have reliable Thunderbolt hot-plug capability on the Designare Z390 with the use of:
  • GPIO3 Force Power enabled in BIOS (hence TbtForcePower is not required).
  • Slightly adapted version of KGP's SSDT-TB3HP.
However, we are now trying to take Thunderbolt to the next level by attempting to activate full Thunderbolt Local Node and Thunderbolt Bus. This is a much tougher problem to crack as I'm sure you can see by reading our interim updates. It might require a combination of SSDT and Firmware patching, but at this point we're still attempting (and hoping) to find a solution based only on SSDT.

@CaseySJ, does this post also apply to eGPU? If so, could you pls post a link to the "slightly adapted version of KGP's SSDT-TB3HP"? Thanks.

Relevant Specs:
Z390 Designare
i9 9900k
Sapphire RX 580 Nitro
Fenvi FV-T919

I've successfully installed with the standard OC 0.5.4 EFI files. Everything seems to be up and running except for two things:
  • Bluetooth doesn't seem to work. OSX shows its available but it doesnt doesnt work. It previously worked fine under clover.
  • Sleep works, kind of. The lock screen doesnt allow the system to go to sleep.
  • Cannot boot at all without CSM enabled, I checked Secure Boot was disabled as well.

Any ideas on where to look to troubleshoot these?

Check the post below, I ran into the same problem with CSM off not booting. Hope my solution works for you too.
I do the bios settings for OC and my screen just stops displaying anything. (Tried both GPU/IGPU HDMI ports)

any tips??

(Only solution to get the screen working again is Clear CMOS..)

UPDATE1: Just did optimized defaults and ONLY turned CSM support off. Can't boot just like before. I need to clear CMOS again to get it working (on mobo the VGA red light stays lit and just stops booting) How can i proceed with this?

Narrowing down CSM support to be the culprit...
BIOS V7
Doing settings one by one:
VT-d Disabled OK
XMP profile1 OK
XHCI Enabled OK
SGX Disabled OK
Above 4G Decoding enabled OK
Internal Graphics Disabled OK

UPDATE2: Problem was FIXED. My Sapphire 580 Special Edition has Dual Bios that can be changed with a switch. Flicked the switch and i'm booted and installing MacOS.

CSM off and one of the bios settings in my GPU just crashed the booting process of the PC, not even reaching BIOS. Letting you know in case someone runs into the same issue.

OC 0.5.5 running 100% stable up to now, just a couple of smallish issues I’m gonna try solve:

1) When I shutdown my PC, my MetricHalo audio interface stays connected (as indicated by the led on the device itself). @zipb you have a similar interface, have you also run into this issue?
2) On first boot I’ve noticed the first time I open Logic Pro, it’s boot time and first couple plugins loaded take a bit more time than expected. If I close Logic completely and reopen it’s blazing fast. Is this normal? (Also happens with FCPX)
3) Since I installed macOS and did the settings in my BIOS, I’m unable to see the SSD I’ve installed windows on my BIOS. So I also can’t boot from it anymore. Maybe CSM off is the culprit?
4) How do I stop seeing the verbose text in the side of the Apple logo since it’s now up and running? I have installed @CaseySJ OC standard package and updated to 0.5.5 using release version.
5) OSX is installed in a Samsung 970 EVO PLUS, however a black magic speed test shows 2.9 gb/s write/read. Is this expected since advertised speeds are supposed to be at 3.5 gb/s? (Bought recently and was already on latest firmware)
6) couple of my USB ports are not working (for example the two usb3 ports in front on my Define R5 case). Seemed odd since I’m using @CaseySJ custom SSDT for the specific case. Maybe I missed a step?

Last edited:
OC 0.5.5 running 100% stable up to now, just a couple of smallish issues I’m gonna try solve:

1) When I shutdown my pc, my MetricHalo audio interface stays connected (as indicated by the led on the device itself) @zipb you have a similar interface, have you also run into this issue?

What LED exactly? How are you connected? USB or Ethernet? My board keeps charging USB stuff even while the computer off. This a feature.

• Did it take many repeated attempts before you could read the ASRock Flash ROM? - Repeated attmepts were required. The clip has to be seated a correct position for it to read. For the board, the chip is on the back (just like the Designare) - although I could access it without removing it from the case, Unscrewing the board from the case definitely helped reduce the number of attempts to get a correct fit.
  • Or could you read it successfully every time? - Every time the clip sat correctly, I was able to read successfully. Although the shasum in reads was sometimes different. When writing there were some errors (verifying failed/ error erase function not found/ error verifying chip in unknown state) which went away by erasing the ROM first and then writing to it.
  • What is the ID printed on the chip?
    • Is it Macronix (MXIC) or Winbond? - I have 2 boards - the working one is the MXIC, the broken board is the Winbond.
    • What is the part number (printed on the chip)?
      • Winbond - 25Q80DVSIG (1846)
      • Macronix - Macronix flash chip "MX25L8005/MX25L8006E/MX25L8008E/MX25V8005"
  • Did you use flashrom or the Windows CH341A Programmer GUI - flashrom on RPi zero and RPi3
I will try this later - PatchingNVM Osy's Github
It seems much easier to read/write the Macronix MX25L800xx flash chip than the Winbond. For some reason, the Winbond 25Q80DV is proving very difficult to work with.
  • The ASRock X570 Creator uses Macronix -- easy to read/write.
  • The Designare Z390 uses Winbond -- a real pain to work with. There is a tiny resistor next to one of the pins, which may be interfering.

Can anyone explain me what happened, when i set smbios to Imac 19.1 with boot flag shigva-32 final cut pro timeline is powerful can stream simultaneously 4 4k 60fps video , but when export video in h.264 intel quick sync dont work and export time is slower, (same powerful timeline and litle slower export time as imac pro 1.1 smbios) , but when set smbios to imac 19.1 with shikigva-16 , timeline is not as powerful can run only 2 4k video simultaneously , but intel quick sync work well and export is faster , how can i get powerful stream on final cut timeline and quick sync on export ?
Please see this chart:
You may want to try shikigva = 80.

Also check whether you have WhateverGreen 1.3.6.

What LED exactly? How are you connected? USB or Ethernet? My board keeps charging USB stuff even while the computer off. This a feature.

Connected via USB

The circled lights are the ones that stay on after shutdown. (One of the two turned off after shutdown on my MacBook Pro)

Attachments

• 0851EE4D-590D-4C88-B321-BC799C7376AB.jpeg
    0851EE4D-590D-4C88-B321-BC799C7376AB.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 73
So, I saw a post by @CaseySJ where he drooled over the new NZXT Kraken X coolers, and apparently some of the drool got on me, so I bought a Kraken x72.
I set up liquidctl to manage my fan and pump speeds, and created a script (following the post linked to in the guide).

When I reboot, the fan and pump speeds increase a bit, and when macOS loads the script doesnt seem to affect those speeds.

Immediately after I boot I run liquidctl status -v and get:
NZXT Kraken X (X42, X52, X62 or X72)
├── Liquid temperature 28.4 °C
├── Fan speed 1261 rpm
├── Pump speed 2034 rpm
└── Firmware version 6.0.2

then I execute my script via /Users/Shared/Scripts/liquidctl.sh and I get
NZXT Kraken X (X42, X52, X62 or X72)
├── Liquid temperature 28.0 °C
├── Fan speed 698 rpm
├── Pump speed 2155 rpm
└── Firmware version 6.0.2
Glad to see others using liquidctl. An important thing to note is that once fan and pump speeds are set, they are static and do not vary as CPU temps rise and fall. On Windows, NZXT's CAM software monitors CPU temps and adjusts fan and pump speeds dynamically.

Wouldn't it be great if someone wrote a utility that does the same thing in macOS?

Drum roll please... that utility is available now! It's called yoda and it's written by the same author (Jonas Malaco). It's located in the extra folder here:

It requires installing iStats as follows: sudo gem install iStats. I'm in the process of testing it on macOS. You're welcome to try it as well.
I saw in the credits that @CaseySJ made some sort of contribution to liquidctl, so figured maybe he'd know what was up.
I contributed the driver for NZXT Smart Device V2.

Glad to see others using liquidctl. An important thing to note is that once fan and pump speeds are set, they are static and do not vary as CPU temps rise and fall. On Windows, NZXT's CAM software monitors CPU temps and adjusts fan and pump speeds dynamically.

Wouldn't it be great if someone wrote a utility that does the same thing in macOS?

Drum roll please... that utility is available now! It's called yoda and it's written by the same author (Jonas Malaco). It's located in the extra folder here:

YES! awesome news. Thanks!

Back