Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Still reading through this thread but I recently pulled out all TB firmware files from Sierra thorough Catalina for all board IDs. Still need em?
Oh yes please! Would be good to send them to myself and @Elias64Fr via Private Message.

If Vbios is rewritten, will it cause a random freeze? And what is the best way to fix it?
Depending on what was done to VBIOS, it may cause problems. For example, I purchased my PowerColor RX 580 initially for Ethereum mining and flashed a mining-optimized VBIOS (for high memory clocks and low operating voltages). This caused various problems with macOS, but it happened more than a year ago so I don't remember the exact failure symptoms. However, after flashing the original VBIOS, the card performed flawlessly.

To check whether your GPU is causing random freezes, try adding -wegoff to Boot Arguments. This will disable WhateverGreen. If this alone does not help, remove the AMD card, turn on IGPU in BIOS, set Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007, apply the HDMI activation patch (see Post #1), and connect your monitor via HDMI to the HDMI port on the rear IO panel. Then see if the system is stable.

In other words...Process of Elimination.

I'm using a slightly different build, as you can see in my signature. Everything (Handoff, continuity, etc...) works flawless. The only thing missing is the "use apple watch to unlock mac" option in the security settings. I checked the system informations and it says "Auto Unlock: Supported". Any ideas why the option is missing?
I assume Bluetooth and WiFi are enabled. Do you have Location Services enabled as well?

Fixed! Im still about 60 pages back on reading all of the progress. It's like reading the Fountain Head except I actually like it.
Ha! LOL!
@CaseySJ, If you get a wild hair can you use this in one of your test?
Been there, done that! The reason that (a) TbtForcePower and (b) ThunderboltReset are not needed is because the modified SSDT is actually performing both operations successfully every single time!
  • In BIOS we have disabled GPIO3 Force Power.
  • The SSDT uses the motherboard's Thunderbolt Power Gate registers to activate the Thunderbolt root port. This succeeds every time. This is done in the ICMB() method.
  • The SSDT also resets the Thunderbolt ICM (Intel Connection Manager) by writing a "1" to REG_FW_STS's ICM_EN_INVERT and ICM_EN_CPU bit fields. This is done in the ICMS() method.
Also here's the link to all the TB firmware if helpful. https://github.com/northamtrans/MacOS-USBCUpdater
Thank you! This can be enormously helpful.

Cant see any attachments

BTW @CaseySJ I flashed the modified Osy's firmware (using CH341A) onto the TB controller on my Z390 ITx ASRock (cause why not :p). I took it from his GitHub (someone posted in the issues section). Ended up bricking the controller - Lost it in Windows and reinstalling the driver doesn't work in Windows - just like Osy said.
Got it back by re-flashing the the backup via CH341A - I had made a few backups - the checksum doesn't match on everyone of them (maybe the CH341A at fault ?) - so have to be careful.

Leaving it here for anyone out there thinking that this would work - it doesn't :)
Nice and not nice!! I have several questions about this experience...
  • Did it take many repeated attempts before you could read the ASRock Flash ROM?
  • Or could you read it successfully every time?
  • What is the ID printed on the chip?
    • Is it Macronix (MXIC) or Winbond?
    • What is the part number (printed on the chip)?
  • Did you use flashrom or the Windows CH341A Programmer GUI?

Ha! LOL!

Been there, done that! The reason that (a) TbtForcePower and (b) ThunderboltReset are not needed is because the modified SSDT is actually performing both operations successfully every single time!
  • In BIOS we have disabled GPIO3 Force Power.
  • The SSDT uses the motherboard's Thunderbolt Power Gate registers to activate the Thunderbolt root port. This succeeds every time. This is done in the ICMB() method.
  • The SSDT also resets the Thunderbolt ICM (Intel Connection Manager) by writing a "1" to REG_FW_STS's ICM_EN_INVERT and ICM_EN_CPU bit fields. This is done in the ICMS() method.

Thank you! This can be enormously helpful.

Well...well....I'm gonna ride the pine on that one.

I will however try whatever draft you're on just to see if dumb luck is in my favor. I'll have to read back again because there were some name changes involved at one point if I remember correctly.

Well...well....I'm gonna ride the pine on that one.

I will however try whatever draft you're on just to see if dumb luck is in my favor. I'll have to read back again because there were some name changes involved at one point if I remember correctly.
The SSDT we're working on is currently applicable only to built-in Thunderbolt controllers (Thunderbolt on PCH), hence the name SSDT-TbtOnPch.aml. Hopefully we can adapt it later on to Tbt on PEG (add-in-card).

Hello @terry1958

Are you using iMacPro1,1 or iMac19,1?

Are you able to boot with IGPU enabled?
Hi CaseySJ,
Yes my stupid fault I forgot to enable the on board IGPU in the BIOS as I am using iMac19,1, stupid or what ?. Just a quick question while I have your attention, when Open Core is updated can you update the boot loader without reinstalling ?. Once again thanks for your help it is really appreciated.
Yours Terry.

Thanks for your response, Iam told Presonous Studio One DAW software uses the MAC address,

Some software developers use the MAC address from your main Ethernet port as part of the registration process, so if you change mobo you'll have to re register

Hi CaseySJ,
Yes my stupid fault I forgot to enable the on board IGPU in the BIOS as I am using iMac19,1, stupid or what ?. Just a quick question while I have your attention, when Open Core is updated can you update the boot loader without reinstalling ?. Once again thanks for your help it is really appreciated.
Yours Terry.
Yes, when OpenCore is updated, we can just copy the new BOOTX64.efi and OpenCore.efi into the respective folders. But we may also need to modify config.plist if the new version changes a parameter name or introduces new parameters.

Back