Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Did that too per Opencore Vanilla Desktop Guide, but I'm still stuck at the Apple logo. This happens as soon as I choose the partition. As I never get the verbose output, I don't know what is causing this. For now, I'm booting in Clover again.

GA-Z390 Designare (F8) | i7-8700K | Vega FE Air | Fenvi 919 | Samsung EVO 970
You can enable verbose mode in OpenCore by adding -v to boot-args:
Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 1.53.57 PM.png

Most likely the problem is Couldn't allocate runtime area or no slide value. Check that Internal Graphics (IGPU) is Disabled in BIOS. It's also a good idea to perform a CMOS Reset to retrain the memory map. After a CMOS Reset, it's necessary to configure all BIOS parameters once again, starting with Load Optimized Defaults.

@CaseySJ Hi! I'm looking to build this setup soon. I'm just wondering how would I go about cloning my current systems (hackintosh) boot drive within this setup? is it possible? My current hack is a 2015 build which is stuck on MacOS 10.12 due to the Nvidia driver issues (Z97X UD7 TH mobo LGA 1150, i7 4790K, GTX 970).
Hello @Jamz0161,
  • Do you want to stay on macOS 10.12 or move on to Catalina?
  • If you install Catalina from scratch (recommended) then you can:
    • Copy your Documents, Downloads, Movies, Photos, and other user directory folders manually to your new Catalina drive.
    • Reinstall your applications one by one (if you have license keys handy).
  • In my experience, this is better than using Migration Assistant. Why?
    • The manual method gives you full and total control. Migration Assistant takes many decisions away from you and it can swamp your system with old kexts and other accumulated baggage.
    • Your system will be more reliable and faster with manual transfer of documents and applications.

Thanks for all your help! Question, any guide somewhere for overclocking my system?
Thanks in advance.
Gigabyte Desingnare z390
CPU i9-9900K
Graphics Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
64GB RAM Ripjaws DDR4
I've just added a new section to the build guide in Post #1:
Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 2.23.36 PM.png

So my Catalina 10.15.3, Z390 Designare, i9-9900K, Vega VII, 64GB is absolutely brilliant. Everything working 100% and blazing fast. The only features that do not seem to be available is handoff and Sidecar. iMessage and FaceTime perfect and native WiFi with Bluetooth is flawless (broadcom94360CS2)
Any clues as to why?
Please check that Location Services are enabled in System Preferences:
Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 2.25.55 PM.png

Today I updated AppleALC.kext from version 1.3.8 to version 1.4.6 and lost all audio. Anyone else had any experiences with this?

Similarly, updating to the latest Lilu (1.4.1) and WEG(1.3.6) caused a kernel panic on boot. Unfortunately I don't know if it was Lilu or WEG that used the panic as I didn't have time to test, sorry! I replaced the kexts in both /L/E/ and EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other, was this the right thing to do? I did repair permissions with kext utility.
  • In Mojave we install all third-party kexts in /Library/Extensions and keep a minimum set in CLOVER/kexts/Other.
    • Kext Utility needs to be run afterwards.
  • In Catalina we just copy them to CLOVER/kexts/Other. This might change in a future revision to Catalina Mini-Guide.
    • No need to run Kext Utility (but it won't hurt).
What version of Clover are you running?

Most likely the problem is Couldn't allocate runtime area or no slide value. Check that Internal Graphics (IGPU) is Disabled in BIOS. It's also a good idea to perform a CMOS Reset to retrain the memory map. After a CMOS Reset, it's necessary to configure all BIOS parameters once again, starting with Load Optimized Defaults.

Thanks. IGPU was disabled and I had slide=0. Screen just goes dark as soon as I select the partition in the picker (solid black, no activity/lights on the case). I'll try the CMOS in a few.

• In Mojave we install all third-party kexts in /Library/Extensions and keep a minimum set in CLOVER/kexts/Other.
    • Kext Utility needs to be run afterwards.
  • In Catalina we just copy them to CLOVER/kexts/Other. This might change in a future revision to Catalina Mini-Guide.
    • No need to run Kext Utility (but it won't hurt).
What version of Clover are you running?

I'm still on mojave for now. Plan to update soon. In CLOVER/kexts/Other I have Lilu, WhateverGreen, USBInjectAll and FakeSMC. ALC resides only in /Library/Extensions.

I was running clover 4987 (I think - but definitely <5), I have recently updated to 5103 but haven't tried to update the kexts again.

Thanks. IGPU was disabled and I had slide=0. Screen just goes dark as soon as I select the partition in the picker (solid black, no activity/lights on the case). I'll try the CMOS in a few.

Just chiming in to say a full CMOS reset by shorting the pins was absolutely necessary in order to get native NVRAM running. It was the one thing that finally made everything work like it's supposed to.

Yeah, it's not for pro recording purposes, but I was surprised by the quality. And that's from someone using a ULN-8/3D (and an AKG712 Pro headphone, I only use the hp out of the builtin audio for the occasional Spotify/Youtube playback)

Sweet device. Trade you my Apollo 8 Quad for it! :lol:
Can you go S/PDIF out from the mobo and into the Metric Halo to make an aggregate device? All I see are SMPTE i/o and DB-25 connections. Is it all AES for digital connections?

Thank Very Much to You Casey SJ! Install completed and all works fine! i9 9900KF oc 5,2Ghz on all cores rock stable. One bad think is no WiFi. "No device detected" when I check it. I don't have installed Clover for emulated Nvram. Are You think is it really necessary?

Someone have issues on Final Cut Pro X in hackintosh with Catalina? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Back