Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thank goodness for Linux open source!

A couple of days ago I booted the system without specifying (a) ThunderboltDROM, (b) ThunderboltConfig, (c) pathcr. And I saw the following:
View attachment 448067
This occurred only once. When NHI0 device path properties are specified, we usually get this:
View attachment 448068
@CaseySJ
If this UID is different from each booting, probably randomly fixed by macOS like Domain UUID if not defined as property.

*** OpenCore 0.5.4 Experimental Setup for Designare Z390 ***
(Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.)

Thank you for all your contributions. I'm currently making a very similar build:
-Z390 Designare
-32GB RAM (2x16 3600MHz)
-i9-9900K
-RX580 Nitro+ Special Ed
-970 EVO Plus 1TB drive
-Fractal Define R5 case
-Going for Mojave 10.14.16 (audio/video production)

I've been trying to setup OpenCore, and, thank God, I stumbled upon your prepared EFI. I've educated myself a lot on it the last week or so, and it looks promising to me. But it's still quite difficult to get exactly right. I only have a couple of questions:

1.Why do you specify that Ii shouldn't use this for macOS Installation?
2.Do I have to change anything else in config.plist because of slight differences in our builds? Concerning USB mapping, CPU, NVMe drive.
3.What is your current preference for SMBIOS? iMac19,1 vs iMacPro1,1?
4.Would you suggest i go for Standard vs NDK Fork in my case?
5.Any particular stability/crashing issues up to now with your project?

Thank you so much once again!! Once i get this running the best i can i'm going to test every bit of hardware i have on it and report back with whatever worked or caused any trouble.

I too have been having issues with native NVRAM. The only consistent way for me to avoid the memory allocation errors has been to disable iGPU.

Thank you @gandem I'll try that some time this week and report back. For a disabled igpu, I think it will make sense to experiment with imac pro smbios and/or removing stuff in the bios that causes trouble with the memory map, and calculate a slide value.

@CaseySJ
First off, thank you so so so much for publishing this guide. I can not begin to express my gratitude in simple words. As an audio engineer and video editor, so much of my time is spent on a computer. You inspired me to get my first Hackintosh going. I pulled the plug and went big even though it was my first time.

I had a heck of a month putting together my build and first even getting the os running. Finally, I was able to get Mojave running after a little troubleshooting and extensive searching of this thread. I then of course discovered I needed to upgrade to Catalina to get my radeon 5700xt working, which after a week of more troubleshooting, I finally got to work!

I'm on the final stretch, and can't seem to figure out whats going on with my Bluetooth and Thunderbolt. For bluetooth, I have the Fenvi FV-T919 card, and my wireless is working great. For some reason, my Bluetooth won't even show up.
Any ideas what might be causing this?

On the TB side, whenever I plug in a TB device (UAD apollo 8p via TB2 -> TB3 adapter) it clearly pops up in my IOReg, but it looks like its popping up in the wrong place... I'm a little confused and have looked thru so many threads trying to figure out what's going on...

Please help, im a foot away from the finish line. :(

Yes, I followed Catalina mini guide and installed Mojave 14.6. Everything is working fine. I used iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS with iGPU enabled, deleting all included shiki arguments and added shikigva=80 (thanks to @CaseySJ). Chrome plays Netflix and Amazon prime DRM content.

You have to test in Safari. Chrome will play DRM Netflix content, but it's capped at 720p. You have to use Safari to get 1080p in Netflix on a Mac.

You have to test in Safari. Chrome will play DRM Netflix content, but it's capped at 720p. You have to use Safari to get 1080p in Netflix on a Mac.

I am getting Netflix on Safari too, but black video on Amazon. Chrome plays both.

Hi guys,

Yesterday, I did an update from the BIOS to F9b. Before that I was running F6, but sometimes the system was hanging during the reboot. After every app was closed the desktop was shown for ever. So I thought maybe the bios update could help. Now I had problems to the the system up and running. I have to reboot a couple of times to get something on the screen and also Audio and Bluetooth are not running anymore.

I was searching about a same problem but could not find anything. I guess I should go back to version F6, or does anyone has a hint what it could be? Never had such a problem with any of my hacks. Normally, I got stability improvements and nothing else. But this here ruined my system.

Would be nice if someone could help a little.

Thanks.

Hiding in plain sight? ;)
maybe I have the zombie version of F11 bios. here's my Advanced Settings(F2)--Settings page. completely different from your screen shot. as you can see I have no access to any of the important configuration parameters. I will re-flash F11 later and see what I end up with.

Update:

I re-flashed with F11, same unusual (and unusable!) Settings screen.

I updated to F12d, the latest, with same results.

I downgraded to F10, the last version before the "BIOS screens reformatting" and I got the normal range of screens.

I will open a ticket with Gigabyte to see what they have to say.

Attachments

• 200203131307.pdf
    612.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Back