Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If it is indeed Cubase 10.5.x you are using, I would go back to 10.0.40 or 10.0.50. Steinberg has admitted 10.5.0 and 10.5.5 have problems on Mac. Update arriving(10.5.10) soon, so they say, with a fix.

10.0.40 is the most stable version for now.

Yes. I usually leave the old version for safety and old/current sessions. In the midst of all my upgrade/build/tweaking madness I didn’t even consider that it might be the new Cubase version I started using at the same time. Haha. Been on Cubase since SX1 and never had issues like this ever before so my brain was missing the possibility.

Hey @CaseySJ, the Wi-Fi card used in this build, which I also used, is working but CONSTANTLY drops off. You helped me troubleshoot it a few months back on this thread and it worked fine for a while, now not so much.

So, I was wondering: can I just swap out the M.2 Wi-Fi card with a Dell 1560 card? I'm using this card in another build but since I'm still a novice at this, I wanted to see if that would work in this build. Here's the card and build I'm referencing. Go to the spoiler section that says Dell 1560 Installation Guide.

Hey @CaseySJ, the Wi-Fi card used in this build, which I also used, is working but CONSTANTLY drops off. You helped me troubleshoot it a few months back on this thread and it worked fine for a while, now not so much.

So, I was wondering: can I just swap out the M.2 Wi-Fi card with a Dell 1560 card? I'm using this card in another build but since I'm still a novice at this, I wanted to see if that would work in this build. Here's the card and build I'm referencing. Go to the spoiler section that says Dell 1560 Installation Guide.
Unfortunately it won’t work. We don’t have a general purpose M.2 slot on the Designare. Instead, it’s an Intel CNVi slot that only accommodates Intel CNVi modules for direct coupling to the PCH chip.

I now have four Hackintoshes with the Fenvi. All of them are working properly. If the root cause of your problem is signal attenuation, then an outboard antenna may be worth considering. Here’s an example:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NKD6VS6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Hi all,

had the system up and running for a few weeks, my issues are still....

1. System hangs when left unattended for a while, even with an app running (eg gemini 2).
2. Bluetooth is flakey (using the FENVI in the bottom port), at start up.... sometimes sees my Magic Mouse and keyboard and sometimes not.
3. System will not shut down consistently, sometimes all good, others it will just hang on the Catalina wallpaper, no app icons no mouse pointer.

Can anyone help where to start.

Thanks.

Hemi

Thanks for the link! I'm wondering, though, why native NVRAM might be working with OpenCore without unlocking the MSR or modifying the firmware in general? I would assume that the same is achievable with Clover?
It doesn't work without unlocking MSR in both Bootloaders. If NVRAM is locked in the hardware, nothing is possible.

Can I follow this tutorial for ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING motherboard?
In general yes, but there are lots of details, that could be different on a ASUS board and we will not be able to answer board specific questions.
Look here for "experts" on your board:

Thanks for that info. I disabled sleep and power nap however If I leave the computer on with a session open after a couple hours the -38 error code still rears it's ugly head. Would you recommend having screen savers or no?

Also even when booting both UAD devices first some sessions still have the -38 error code happen. I assume I should be turning on the first device in the chain followed by the second device? Is there anything I can do BIOS wise to maybe change something to see if that would help? I'm somewhat at a loss now...

Moderators, please bump this post or thread, etc: I have no idea where exactly to place it except for DAW experiences, etc., and I don't want to clog the build thread with a DAW troubleshooting column. Please and thank you.

Your BIOS is probably fine. Check your settings: See Post #1 of this guide and "Going the Extra Mile" to check your other work.

Spoiler:
You must connect and power-up all Thunderbolt devices and let them settle for several seconds before powering up your machine. There is no powerswap/hotswap for UAD nor other Thunderbolt-node devices. Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts. The errors are from privacy permissions not being set and from not powering up all Thunderbolt devices before cold start your machine.

If you can connect the MOTU device via USB or AVB/Ethernet then do so.

IDK what OS you're running, so go to the links below and follow the instructions. It can be tricky and you're on a clock. I recommend staying with Mojave for now. You don't need to monkey with screen savers. Just turn off your monitor. Also check your audio engine settings. Everything should be slaved/clocked to your interface unless you have an external clock. Choose an interface and avoid creating aggregate devices if you don't absolutely need them. The UAD satellites are for DSP only.

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/ar...ting-No-Devices-Found-Other-Connection-Issues

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016096271-macOS-10-14-Mojave-Compatibility-Info

As of January 25, 2020: "Please note that Catalina is not yet fully tested with UAD software."

@jiffyslot

Quite a few Designare Z390 systems are used as Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs). So discussion of DAW issues and solutions concerning Z390 Designare is appropriate and welcome in this thread.

Hi all,

had the system up and running for a few weeks, my issues are still....

1. System hangs when left unattended for a while, even with an app running (eg gemini 2).
2. Bluetooth is flakey (using the FENVI in the bottom port), at start up.... sometimes sees my Magic Mouse and keyboard and sometimes not.
3. System will not shut down consistently, sometimes all good, others it will just hang on the Catalina wallpaper, no app icons no mouse pointer.

Can anyone help where to start.

Thanks.

Hemi
Please also see this post regarding (a) Simplification and (b) Process of Elimination.

** Mini-Guide: Enable Native NVRAM in Clover **
Please do NOT quote this guide in its entirely. Post a link instead.

Real Macs read and write data in NVRAM during many different phases of operation. Some of them are:
  • When booting the computer, NVRAM identifies the Startup Disk.
  • When booting the computer, Apple's boot loader also checks if previous session had crashed. If so, it displays a message saying "Your computer was restarted because of a problem".
  • When rebooting or shutting down, information is written or updated in NVRAM.
  • When there's a system crash, a background process stores kernel panic information into NVRAM.
  • When you're running the macOS installer (which is not MacOS), it reads and writes information to NVRAM to select the right intermediate startup disks.
  • FaceTime and Messages store various "keys" in NVRAM.
  • Information about paired Bluetooth devices is also stored in NVRAM. This allows Apple Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard to connect via Bluetooth before macOS is booted.
  • Lots of other little details are stored in NVRAM.
NVRAM is used by:
  • Apple boot loader (boot.efi) -- this is not macOS. It's an EFI boot loader.
  • macOS installer -- this is not macOS either
  • macOS updater -- this is not macOS either
  • macOS
When we use EmuVariableUefi to emulate NVRAM, it stores NVRAM data in a file called nvram.plist in the EFI partition of the boot disk. But it requires Clover's "rc" scripts to read/write that file. However:
  • Apple boot loader cannot read/write that file
  • macOS installer cannot read/write that file
  • macOS updater cannot read/write that file
So we don't get all the functionality of NVRAM with just EmuVariableUefi and RC scripts. But with native NVRAM, all components of the system can access NVRAM any time they need to.
  • Make a full backup of your system.
  • If you're using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi in the CLOVER/drivers/UEFIfolder, please switch to OcQuirks/FwRuntimeServices or OcQuirks/OpenRuntime:
    • If running Mojave, follow this guide.
    • If running Catalina, delete OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi and replace it with the three files below that are available in the Catalina Mini-Guide.
      • OcQuirks.efi, OcQuirks.plist, OpenRuntime.efi
  • MSR 0xE2 must be unlocked for native NVRAM. See procedure here.
    • VarOffset is 0x5C1 for BIOS F6, F7, F8, and F9b. If you're on an earlier version, please go through the full procedure to determine the VarOffset.
    • At the grub prompt, type:
      • setup_var_3 0x5c1 to see current value, which should be 0x01 (indicating "ON").
    • Then unlock MSR by typing:
      • setup_var_3 0x5c1 0
    • Confirm the new value by typing:
      • setup_var_3 0x5c1
    • If the value is 0x00 (indicating "OFF"), it's done. Type reboot and remove the flash drive.
  • Copy SSDT-NVRAM.aml (attached) to CLOVER/ACPI/patched.
  • Remove EmuVariableUefi from CLOVER/drivers/UEFI (or CLOVER/drivers64UEFI for older versions of Clover).
  • Remove Clover RC scripts (if installed) by typing these commands in Terminal: (be very careful)
    • sudo rm /etc/rc.boot.d/10.save_and_rotate_boot_log.local
    • sudo rm /etc/rc.boot.d/20.mount_ESP.local
    • sudo rm /etc/rc.boot.d/70.disable_sleep_proxy_client.local.disabled
    • sudo rm /etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local
    • sudo rm /etc/rc.clover.lib
  • In your config.plist, you may now uncheck the following in Kernel and Kext Patches:
    • KernelPM
    • AppleIntelCPUPM
      Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 5.18.13 AM.png
  • Reboot and log back in before testing NVRAM below.
To test native NVRAM:
  • Open Terminal and type sudo nvram TestVar=Hello. Enter password when prompted.
  • Reboot and log back in.
  • Open Terminal again and type sudo nvram -p | grep TestVar. If you see TestVar Hello then you have working NVRAM!
Update:
  • Fixed confusion between 0x01 and 0x00.
  • Added BIOS F9b.
  • Added requirement to switch from OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 to OcQuirks/FwRuntimeServices.

Attachments

• SSDT-NVRAM.aml
    121 bytes · Views: 763
Last edited:
Back