Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

With native NVRAM, the following are not needed:
  • Clover RC scripts
  • EmuVariableUefi.efi (or EmuVariableUefi-64.efi)
I had time to test native NVRAM with OpenCore early this morning, but not with Clover. Once I do that (hopefully this evening) I'll update the Catalina Mini-Guide and provide a section in that guide for users already running Catalina to switch to native NVRAM.

Thanks a lot for your hard work on this guide. Have you had time yet to test native NVRAM with Clover? Sorry if I missed something.

Thanks a lot for your hard work on this guide. Have you had time yet to test native NVRAM with Clover? Sorry if I missed something.

I am currently fiddling around with Clover and native NVRAM after swapping out my motherboard from a Z390 Ultra to a Z390 Designare.

Thus far I find NVRAM with clover to be a bit more clunky than it is with OpenCore.
For instance, even though I appear to have native NVRAM working, the default boot drive is always set to my Windows install, even though I have lastbooted selected in Clover Configurator.
Could just be me though. Now that I have posted publicly about it, I will likely find some dumb mistake that I made.
That's how these things usually go for me. :)

*** Thunderbolt Volunteers Needed ***

Purpose:
  • To see if Thunderbolt Local Node and Thunderbolt Bus can be reproduced on your system.
  • To test future updates of the Thunderbolt SSDT.
Prerequisites:
  • Gigabyte Designare Z390 motherboard. The test files are specific to this board.
  • A stable system running macOS Catalina 10.15.2.
  • Clover 5xxx (not OpenCore).
  • SMBIOS iMac19,1.
  • Must have one true Thunderbolt 3 device (not USB-C).
  • You must have a Reset button on your PC case. If you use the SilverStone Remote, it has a Reset button which can also be used.
Level of Expertise Needed:
  • Intermediate level of expertise needed. Not for beginners.
  • Must be comfortable with Clover, EFI, config.plist, etc.
  • But no tech support will be provided.
  • If you follow the guide below, but nothing happens, please try to remedy the problem by yourself or discontinue.
  • Support will be provided if you have success with this.

Preparation:
  • Make a backup copy of your EFI Folder.
    • You may use USB flash disk or main macOS SSD.
  • Delete all files in the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and copy all .aml files in attached ZIP to that folder.
  • Copy the config-Elias64Fr-NHI0-Casey.plist into the CLOVER folder.
    • You may rename it to config.plist
  • Copy your existing Serial Number, Board Serial Number, System UUID into the empty fields in SMBIOS.
  • Copy your existing Board Serial Number into MLB field in RtVariables.
  • Click Generate under ROM field in RtVariables.
  • Save the file.
  • Copy ACPIDebug.kext (attached) to the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 7.41.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 7.41.43 AM.png

BIOS Settings:
  • Same settings as Mojave/Catalina build guide except for the following:
    • Thunderbolt --> GPIO3 Force Power --> disabled.
Procedure:
  • Part 1:
    • Shutdown computer and flip power switch to OFF.
    • Disconnect all Thunderbolt devices.
    • After 10 seconds, power the system up.
    • Login to Catalina.
    • Open IORegistryExplorer and post screenshot only of RP05 section.
  • Part 2:
    • Get ready to connect one Thunderbolt device, but do not connect it yet.
    • Reboot the computer (warm boot).
    • After the computer restarts, but before Clover Boot Menu appears, connect the Thunderbolt device.
    • At Clover Boot Menu, boot macOS. Thunderbolt device must be connected before macOS is booted.
    • Login to Catalina.
  • Part 3:
    • Now unplug the Thunderbolt device.
    • Your computer should immediately hang. Total freeze.
    • Do NOT power off.
    • Click the reset button to reboot the computer.
    • Quickly connect the Thunderbolt device (must be done before macOS boot process starts).
    • Boot into Catalina and log in.
    • At this point you should have Thunderbolt Local Node and Thunderbolt Bus.
      • You will probably have no network.
      • Not everything will work.
You may undo the changes and restore your original files at any time.

Updates:
  • See Preparation section: Copy ACPIDebug.kext

Attachments

• config-Elias64Fr-NHI0-Casey.plist
    10.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Copy-to-ACPI-patched.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 149
  • ACPIDebug.kext.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I am currently fiddling around with Clover and native NVRAM after swapping out my motherboard from a Z390 Ultra to a Z390 Designare.

Thus far I find NVRAM with clover to be a bit more clunky than it is with OpenCore.
For instance, even though I appear to have native NVRAM working, the default boot drive is always set to my Windows install, even though I have lastbooted selected in Clover Configurator.
Could just be me though. Now that I have posted publicly about it, I will likely find some dumb mistake that I made.
That's how these things usually go for me. :)
Under Clover, I didn't get it to work as well. I can write a variable in NVRAM and read Or delete it. After reboot, it is always in the same State as I left it in on the last Boot with Open Core.

Hello! First off, thank you Casey for the great guide. I have the same Motherboard and followed the guide, but I am using IGPU off an i9-9900K. Logic X is unusable the transport bar is lagged and keeps randomly crashing and Safari browser has black glitchy tabs.
1. Can I expect this behavior from a 9900k IGPU.
2. Which is the most reasonably priced GPU that works best in Mojave latest, or Catalina and will it fix the issue?

Kind Regards.

Hello! First off, thank you Casey for the great guide. I have the same Motherboard and followed the guide, but I am using IGPU off an i9-9900K. Logic X is unusable the transport bar is lagged and keeps randomly crashing and Safari browser has black glitchy tabs.
2. Which is the most reasonably priced GPU that works best in Mojave latest, or Catalina and will it fix the issue?

Kind Regards.
Hello @killadaninja2

In Catalina, the iGPU can provide pretty good results with Platform ID 0x3E97000B. But in Mojave the iGPU seems to produce glitchy output.

However, for Pro A/V apps we recommend putting iGPU into headless mode (Platform ID 0x3E980003) and using a discrete AMD GPU.

Most any AMD RX 560 GPU all the way to RX 590 will work with Mojave. The latest RX 5700-series GPUs are only supported in Catalina.

Kind Regards.
RX 580

Last edited:
Back