Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I have almost the same build and am getting a black screen after the initial debug screen. I am using the iGPU and am connected via the HDMI port. Other than that I copied the exact clover config, kexts, drivers and bios setting from your post.

My build is below. Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Motherboard GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGN

Processor Intel Core i7-9700K

System Memory G.SKILL 16GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Trident Z RGB

CPU Cooler Be quiet! DARK ROCK PRO 4
SSD Disk Intel 660p M.2 2TB SSD NVMe

SSD Disk Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
PC Power Supply SilverStone Essential Gold ET650-HG 650W
PC Case NZXT H510 white
PC Fan Be quiet! Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM x2
Hello @GregFFF

Please compress and upload just the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of your USB install disk. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist.
  • Are you installing Catalina?
  • And is the black screen problem occurring when trying to launch the macOS installer from the USB install disk?
    • In this case, please compress and upload just the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of your USB install disk. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist.
  • Or have you finished the installation and the black screen is occurring when booting directly from the macOS SSD?
    • In this case, boot your system from the USB install disk, then compress and upload just the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of your macOS SSD. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. Interestingly, as seen in attached I don't have any entries in these fields :O

I also have attached a screenshot of the PCI list in System report, which doesn't list any items. Excuse my naivety if this is unrelated.
Please post the config.plist from EFI partition of your macOS SSD. You may (and should) remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section.

...With the official guide (install macOS Catalina on any intel based system...) and the fresh installation guide on this thread to Catalina I had freezes. I don't know why, neither I have found what's causing them. ...
This is worrisome and it's on my to-do list. Hopefully in the next couple of days I'll perform a fresh install of Catalina and see if I can reproduce these freezes.

@Elias64Fr & @CaseySJ :

Been following your TB developments with passion and secrete hope !! ;-)

Also, in parallel I've been trying understand & adapt your findings to my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme, where the TB ACPI is actually on RP01 (not RP05 as on Designare).

So, placed RehabMan's ACPIDebug.kext in /Library/Extensions/ (sudo chown -R root:wheel ACPIDebug.kext) and created a SSDT-RMDT.aml (attached), but I only get a single system log line displayed (via Hackintool), no more ACPI debugging information:
Code:
Timestamp                       (process)[PID]  
2020-01-22 07:13:45.052852+0000  localhost kernel[0]: (ACPIDebug) <ACPIDebug`org_rehabman_ACPIDebug::start(IOService*)> ACPIDebug: Version 0.1.4 starting on OS X Darwin 19.2.

Can you (both) please share your configuration for this TB testing ?

Thanks.
Hi augustopaulo and thanks for you interest ! You have inspired and motived me with one of your post on another website last summer ;)

For your motherboard Z390 Aorus Xtreme, which device-id have you on UPSB and NHI0 ? If Alpine Ridge I can send you SSDT file to test on your configuration (Near to mine with RP01) !

Hi all,

I was experiencing freezes with my z390 Designare but somehow was able to solve them with a different shikigva value (16). Doesn't seem to be working for a lot of people, but there must be something enabled/disabled?

posting my EFI (without sn) so maybe someone can solve the mistery.

My systems is using:

19.1 smbios
latest versions of WEG
Clover 5103 with installed RC scripts
compiled latest (at the time) versions of virtualSMC
ocquirks4 and fw runtime
8x16gb ddr4 3000, running at 3000 XMP profile1
radeon vii, igpu enabled headless mode
Bios CSM disabled

Good luck all,
m

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.6 MB · Views: 89
Thanks for all test results !

I note that when GPIO3 Force Power is disabled, all device is OFF. The SSDT draft 7 can't powerup it ... because I have a little mistake on ICMB method, we shall remove the following lines , nothing to return in this case and power up is not done :
If ((Local2 == 0xFFFFFFFF))
{
Return (0x02)
}

I have tested it on my Asus Zenbook, found same result and is OK when I delete theses lines.
For the Maximus Z270, there is no problem because partial device (XHC2) is always ON (confirmed on Windows10).

For the differences between all 3 last draft, you can see but I don't think is about last modifications.

I think that all tests without GPIO3 Force Power OFF is required because my Zenbook laptop and Maximus Z270 (last BIOS) haven't this feature on BIOS... and work WITH all Thunderbolt tree and WITHOUT any Thunderbolt firmware modification. Even with the simplified version which include only full method MMBA to WTDL (no PS3, no PS0, no PCED...).

Thanks for you availability :clap: !
@Elias64Fr

I have nearly infinite patience for this kind of work! :)

I'll be happy to remove the lines indicated below and re-test with Draft07 later this evening. Will first test with GPIO3 Force Power turned off, then again with it turned on.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 7.49.32 AM.png

Hi augustopaulo and thanks for you interest ! You have inspired and motived me with one of your post on another website last summer ;)

For your motherboard Z390 Aorus Xtreme, which device-id have you on UPSB and NHI0 ? If Alpine Ridge I can send you SSDT file to test on your configuration (Near to mine with RP01) !
Unfortunately the Z390 AORUS Xtreme has the same Titan Ridge as Designare Z390! :)

Hi all,

I was experiencing freezes with my z390 Designare but somehow was able to solve them with a different shikigva value (16). Doesn't seem to be working for a lot of people, but there must be something enabled/disabled?

posting my EFI (without sn) so maybe someone can solve the mistery.

My systems is using:

19.1 smbios
latest versions of WEG
Clover 5103 with installed RC scripts
compiled latest (at the time) versions of virtualSMC
ocquirks4 and fw runtime
8x16gb ddr4 3000, running at 3000 XMP profile1
radeon vii, igpu enabled headless mode
Bios CSM disabled

Good luck all,
m
Although I haven't looked inside the EFI.zip, I hope you removed your serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist.

Back