Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey Guys,

I reinstalled my system with Catalina and everything works fine except IGPU on the designare. Although I have a Radeon VII, I have 2 LG 4K's and 1 LG 5K, and I cannot get the third one working through the Alpine Ridge add on card reliably. I want to run one of them off the intel IGPU but it is not detected anywhere and nothing works when it's plugged in. I have latest WEG and lilu. Before, I just remember turning on IGPU in bios, and injecting intel. Is there something I'm missing to get iGPU working?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 11.31.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 11.31.19 AM.png
    527.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 11.32.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 11.32.40 AM.png
    679.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 11.31.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 11.31.27 AM.png
    538.6 KB · Views: 127
Much better result now!!
Code:
e*)> ACPIDebug: Version 0.1.4 starting on OS X Darwin 19.2
ACPIDebug: 0x40039854
ACPIDebug: 0xe00e4000
ACPIDebug: 0xe0800000
ACPIDebug: 0xe0900000
ACPIDebug: 0xe0908000
ACPIDebug: 0xe0910000
ACPIDebug: 0xe0920000
ACPIDebug: 0xe0a00000
ACPIDebug: "_INI Root Port"
ACPIDebug: "ICMBoot"
ACPIDebug: "Tbt TWIN set to One"
ACPIDebug: "Tbt Force Power with FPG0"
ACPIDebug: "Up Stream VID/DID =0000000015EA8086"
ACPIDebug: "Delay to appear = 184 us"
ACPIDebug: "ICMS"
ACPIDebug: "ICME_0="
ACPIDebug: 0xffffffff
ACPIDebug: "Configure NHI called"
ACPIDebug: "Configure NHI RP OK!"
ACPIDebug: "Configure NHI UPSB OK!"
ACPIDebug: "Configure NHI Dp 0 done"
ACPIDebug: "Configure NHI Dp 3 done"
ACPIDebug: "Configure NHI Dp 4 done"
ACPIDebug: "Configure NHI Dp 5 done"
ACPIDebug: "Configure NHI DPs done"
ACPIDebug: "Configure NHI0 all done"
ACPIDebug: "Configure NHI End"
ACPIDebug: "ICME_1="
ACPIDebug: 0x800001a7
ACPIDebug: "ICME_2="
ACPIDebug: "ICME_3="
ACPIDebug: 0x800003f0
ACPIDebug: "ICME_4="
ACPIDebug: "ISTA="
ACPIDebug: 0x800003f0
ACPIDebug: "Configuration delay = 1004 ms"
ACPIDebug: "_PS0 RP05"
ACPIDebug: "PCEU RP05"
ACPIDebug: "PCEU RP05- Put upstream bridge back into D0 "
ACPIDebug: "_PS0 UPSB"
ACPIDebug: "PCED UPSB"
ACPIDebug: "PCED - enable GPIO"
ACPIDebug: "UGIO - PCI wants on"
ACPIDebug: "UGIO - NHI wants on"
ACPIDebug: "UGIO - XHCI wants on"
ACPIDebug: "UGIO - TBT forced on"
ACPIDebug: "RTPC NHI0 called with arg: 0000000000000000"
ACPIDebug: "_PS3 NHI0, Nothing to do!"
ACPIDebug: "_PS3 DSB0"
ACPIDebug: "PCDA DSB0"
ACPIDebug: "POFF DSB0"
ACPIDebug: "PCDA DSB0- Put upstream bridge into D3"
ACPIDebug: "PCDA DSB0- Set link disable on upstream bridg
ACPIDebug: "PCDA DSB0- Wait for link to drop..."
ACPIDebug: "PCDA DSB0- disable GPIO"
ACPIDebug: "UGIO - PCI wants on"
ACPIDebug: "UGIO - NHI wants off"
ACPIDebug: "UGIO - XHCI wants on"
ACPIDebug: "UGIO - TBT allows off"
ACPIDebug: "UGIO - USB forced on"
ACPIDebug: "UGIO - TBT GPIO should be off"
ACPIDebug: "UGIO - USB GPIO should be on"
ACPIDebug: "UGIO - Make sure TBT & USBC is on"
Here's the RP05 output (no Thunderbolt Local Node yet!)...
View attachment 445756

UPDATE:
The list above shows that devices connected to the various USB and Ethernet ports are not being activated (no child nodes in the tree above). The complete set of devices (will all child nodes) should look like this (OWC 14-Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock):

View attachment 445804 View attachment 445805

We're getting closer!!
Hi CaseySJ

On ACPIDebug log, it seem to work until "UGIO - TBT forced on" , after we shall have just after "UGIO - USB forced on" but nothing !
"RTPC NHI0 called with arg: 0000000000000000" is probably called by NHI driver few time later in order to request PowerState ..

First, after viewing iMac19,1 SSDT-TbtOnPch which has TitanRidge 15EA/15EB, many methods like PCED, PCDA, TRPE are very different. I have update testing file (SSDT-TbtOnPch-Designare_Draft04.aml) and you can test it.

In second time, I have simplified my SSDT-TbtOnPch to the maximum by removing all _PS3, _PS0, PCED and PCDA and ... on Asus Maximus, Thunderbolt device is correctly detected after Cold boot and Hot boot and ... full view of thunderbolt NHI tree appear ! :headbang: ... ICMB, ICMS, CNHI, UPCK and UTLC to WTDL are required for this.
I have creating another file (SSDT-TbtOnPch-Designare_Simplified_Draft01.aml) to be tested.

About all devices not detected, I don't know, probably due to inappropriate methods from Alpine ridge device or XHC2 RHUB to be modified for Designare board (HSS1, HSS2, SSP1 and SSP2 address and configuration) ...

UPDATE: Also add the following device properties for NHI configuration on CLOVER 'extracted from iMac19,1 IoReg :

Device : PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
List of properties (Data type):
  1. TBTDPLowToHigh = 01000000
  2. TBTFlags = 03000000
  3. ThunderboltConfig = 00021c0002000503010004000503020003000503010000000303020001000200
  4. linkDetails = 0800000003000000
  5. pathcr = 0400000000000000000007001000100005000000000000000000070010001000010000000b000e000e000000000000000200000000000000000004000200010003000000000000000000070002000100
I have all of them (from iMac18,3) with custom ThunderboltUUID, this one is currently not required .. maybe for Thunderbolt ethernet function on another chapter :mrgreen:

Attachments

• SSDT-TbtOnPch-Designare_Draft04.aml
    22.4 KB · Views: 185
  • SSDT-TbtOnPch-Designare_Simplified_Draft01.aml
    12.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I reinstalled my system with Catalina and everything works fine except IGPU on the designare. Although I have a Radeon VII, I have 2 LG 4K's and 1 LG 5K, and I cannot get the third one working through the Alpine Ridge add on card reliably. I want to run one of them off the intel IGPU but it is not detected anywhere and nothing works when it's plugged in. I have latest WEG and lilu. Before, I just remember turning on IGPU in bios, and injecting intel. Is there something I'm missing to get iGPU working?

Thanks
The iGPU is configured for headless operation (platform ID 0x3E980003) where it will not drive a display monitor. However, we can change platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 to enable the on-board video ports:
  • Thunderbolt port #1 (USB-C) can be used directly to drive a DisplayPort monitor.
  • Thunderbolt port #2 (USB-C) can be used directly to drive a DisplayPort monitor.
  • HDMI port. This requires additional framebuffer patching.
To drive a DisplayPort monitor, we can use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable such as this one.
To drive a HDMI monitor, I can modify your config.plist if you provide it here (you may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS).

Hi CaseySJ

On ACPIDebug log, it seem to work until "UGIO - TBT forced on" , after we shall have just after "UGIO - USB forced on" but nothing !
"RTPC NHI0 called with arg: 0000000000000000" is probably called by NHI driver few time later in order to request PowerState ..

First, after viewing iMac19,1 SSDT-TbtOnPch which has TitanRidge 15EA/15EB, many methods like PCED, PCDA, TRPE are very different. I have update testing file (SSDT-TbtOnPch-Designare_Draft04.aml) and you can test it.

In second time, I have simplified my SSDT-TbtOnPch to the maximum by removing all _PS3, _PS0, PCED and PCDA and ... on Asus Maximus, Thunderbolt device is correctly detected after Cold boot and Hot boot and ... full view of thunderbolt NHI tree appear ! :headbang: ... ICMB, ICMS, CNHI, UPCK and UTLC to WTDL are required for this.
I have creating another file (SSDT-TbtOnPch-Designare_Simplified_Draft01.aml) to be tested.

About all devices not detected, I don't know, probably due to inappropriate methods from Alpine ridge device or XHC2 RHUB to be modified for Designare board (HSS1, HSS2, SSP1 and SSP2 address and configuration) ...
Hello @Elias64Fr

Thank you again for the updated files and the support you are providing!

I'll test the changes this evening when I return home. Some questions / comments:
  • You are right -- the ACPIDebug log seems to work until UGIO - TBT forced on, but after that we don't see UGIO - USB forced on.
  • In BIOS, I have Thunderbolt --> GPIO3 Force Power --> Enabled. Do you think this should be disabled?
  • By removing _PS3, _PS0, PCED, and PCDA we lose RTPC (Run Time Power Conservation). This is not a big deal because we don't have it right now anyway. But it would be nice to enable this feature eventually... (not a priority at this time).
  • Should I perform a cold boot with no Thunderbolt device connected when testing the new TbtOnPch SSDT? And then hot plug a Thunderbolt device?
  • Usually I perform a warm boot with my OWC 14-port Thunderbolt dock connected.
  • Also, I'm curious why PCIHotplugCapable is "Zero" instead of "One"...
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 12.37.49 PM.png
One thing to note about Apple computers with Titan Ridge controllers:
  • Apple's Titan Ridge Macs contain both a Titan Ridge controller and an Alpine Ridge controller.
  • I believe UPSB is Alpine Ridge and DSB0 (and everything under DSB0) is Titan Ridge.
  • This allows Apple to provide backward compatibility with Thunderbolt 1 devices (i.e. due to Alpine Ridge).
  • My understanding (which could be wrong) is that these Macs have a special MUX (multiplexer) that directs certain Thunderbolt traffic to either Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge.
So if we look at Thunderbolt SSDT for a Titan Ridge Mac, it might contain some ACPI methods and fields that are related to the special MUX. Again, my understanding of this is limited, but I think it's important to at least mention this unique feature of real Macs.

UPDATE: I'll add these properties to NHI0:
  1. TBTDPLowToHigh
  2. TBTFlags
  3. ThunderboltConfig
  4. linkDetails
  5. pathcr

Last edited:
So this is new.
Dont know when exactly it happened as it didnt show status as unavailable until I did a refresh. :/
Not sure if this is an OpenCore Issue, a SSDT issue or what.

View attachment 445843

my boot args are:
slide=0 keepsyms=1 dart=0 alcid=11 shikigva=16 agdpmod=pikera
As a first step it might be good to review jaymonkey's DRM/skikigva update here:

Yes! That worked! Thanks again, @CaseySJ!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 1.10.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 1.10.00 PM.png
    586.5 KB · Views: 128
Hello,

I'm sorry to bump in between these discussions but my questions are related to this thread. First I tried to find answers by searching this site and on the internet but unfortunately I can't find solutions myself.

When I found this website a few weeks ago I became very excited to build my own system. I’ve chosen this successful build because I needed the thunderbolt for my audio interface and since I saw that some users reported the successful use of an audio interface with thunderbolt my decision was made. So the motherboard was fixed and I looked at the list of supported hardware so I came up with my system, see attachment. The install of Mojave was, with this very good guide, rather easy to do and I successfully had my first Hackintosh running. Before I continued to install software and tuning I bought backup software and a good external ssd drive and that was a very good thing.

1. Issue number one: I installed Black magic disc speed test. I run it and was disappointed. The two M.2 discs showed a read speed that is less or equal to the write speed, that is very odd.

Any thoughts? See pictures. In Bios it says M2M NVMe 3.0 x4 @ 3.0 x4, equal for the M2P. Under PCI x4 switch it says PCH side, is that the best option or should I use the other?

2. Issue number 2: I tried to do the speed test on the system disc (still don't know that the speed results are, what do I have to change to the permissions safely to grant access for the speediest?), but the software reported that it was read only, so I changed something in the permissions by means of Finder and shortly after the system became unstable and I had to use the reset button on the casing (most likely I changed the permission in such a way that access wasn't granted anymore).

After a lot of effort because I first tried to restart etc. I was able to boot from the backup disc and cloned the working image to the system disc. Then I continued to install software but again the screen froze no mouse movement anymore but I was able to reboot. I did a CMOS reset and entered the good bios settings again and now I’m preparing this text so far so good (after the last reboot busy for about 1,5 hours).

I’ve attached the config.plist file (without serial). Any advice on stability? Settings in config.plist? Change of efi-files or settings?

For completing the nformation: I use the graphics card, MSI Radeon RX 580 armor 8G, with a display port cable to connect a monitor, as you see in the plist. I have the on board graphics still enabled.

3. Question 1: should I disable wifi in the bios, because I have a working Fenvi 1200 for wifi and bluetooth?

4. Question 2: my internal drives, so one sata and two M.2 attached to the motherboard directly, are shown as external drives. I can eject the two M.2 by clicking with the right mouse button and selecting that option, what I didn't obviously. Why is this and how can I change this?

5. Question 3: brightness control of the monitor, what do I have to do to be able to control this from the keyboard? I also don’t see brightness control when I open Displays Preferences, no slider.

6. Issue number 3: I also bought this monitor recently, after trying to calibrate it and testing different settings, brightness started to change automatically. After system defaults reset for the monitor this seems now to be fixed or can this be something from the system?

7. Issue number 4: since today after a reboot, a programme is started spontaneously, seems to be chosen randomly,
what can cause this?

8. Question 4: I have clover configurator 5.9.0.1 installed, can I use all newer versions without issues?

Thank very much.

Best regards.

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    31.6 KB · Views: 72
  • config without serial number.plist
    9.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Clover_Install_Log.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 79
  • In clover folder on system disc efi files.png
    In clover folder on system disc efi files.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Kext in other on EFI system in Clover folder on system disc.png
    Kext in other on EFI system in Clover folder on system disc.png
    322.6 KB · Views: 70
  • M.2 disc apple system info.png
    M.2 disc apple system info.png
    58 KB · Views: 96
  • Speedtest Backup2 Disc.png
    Speedtest Backup2 Disc.png
    389.2 KB · Views: 89
  • System components hardware.png
    System components hardware.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 74
Hello @Elias64Fr

Thank you again for the updated files and the support you are providing!

I'll test the changes this evening when I return home. Some questions / comments:
  • In BIOS, I have Thunderbolt --> GPIO3 Force Power --> Enabled. Do you think this should be disabled?
  • By removing _PS3, _PS0, PCED, and PCDA we lose RTPC (Run Time Power Conservation). This is not a big deal because we don't have it right now anyway. But it would be nice to enable this feature eventually... (not a priority at this time).
  • Should I perform a cold boot with no Thunderbolt device connected when testing the new TbtOnPch SSDT? And then hot plug a Thunderbolt device?
  • Usually I perform a warm boot with my OWC 14-port Thunderbolt dock connected.
  • Also, I'm curious why PCIHotplugCapable is "Zero" instead of "One"...
  • View attachment 445879
One thing to note about Apple computers with Titan Ridge controllers:
  • Apple's Titan Ridge Macs contain both a Titan Ridge controller and an Alpine Ridge controller.
  • I believe UPSB is Alpine Ridge and DSB0 (and everything under DSB0) is Titan Ridge.
  • This allows Apple to provide backward compatibility with Thunderbolt 1 devices (i.e. due to Alpine Ridge).
My understanding (which could be wrong) is that these Macs have a special MUX (multiplexer) that directs certain Thunderbolt traffic to either Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge.
So if we look at Thunderbolt SSDT for a Titan Ridge Mac, it might contain some ACPI methods and fields that are related to the special MUX. Again, my understanding of this is limited, but I think it's important to at least mention this unique feature of real Macs.

UPDATE: I'll add these properties to NHI:
  1. TBTDPLowToHigh
  2. TBTFlags
  3. ThunderboltConfig
  4. linkDetails
  5. pathcr
;) I do it for the community and to break one of the last hackintosh wall :banghead:

• I don't use GPIO3 Force Power because I don't have it on BIOS (only last Maximus firmware). Asus had remove it ! You should disable it for one time to see what happen. Better is to test with and without it.
  • Right, but on first time, we need to have magic Thunderbolt Local node tree.
  • Suggest to do all tests with NO devices connected on two thunderbolt ports >> one COLD BOOT, extracting ACPIDebug log and IoReg screenshot, >> one HOT BOOT , extracting ACPIDebug log and IoReg screenshot.
  • "PCIHotplugCapable" is Zero (like Macs), probably for drivers ?!
On Z270 Maximus, UpstreamBridge device-id is 0x15D3 which is different for Macs TitanRidge and AlpineRidge (0x1578) .. Drivers seems to work well with it ... for the moment.

UPDATE: Geekbench 5.1.0 OpenCL performance with OMEN Accelerator EGPU case / Sapphire RX580 PULSE have 39077 score .. which is good ?! .. or not :lol:

UPDATE2: Screen shot of the magic button for safely extract EGPU:
Capture d’écran 2020-01-20 à 23.02.24.png

Which method or device of special MUX are you refer on SSDT ?

Last edited:
Back