Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi guys. I have a successful OpenCore install thanks to CaseySJ's wonderful guide. I needed Photoshop to no bum out. Anyhows, while I am booting into my install fine, I have a couple of issues that i hope someone can help me with.

1: I see no OpenCore menu, no Apple logo, nor loading bar below it. Just straight boot in to my startup disk
2: I am getting a resolution difference from login screen and desktop. I have my Desktop scaled to 2560 x 1440. So its quite an ugly affair on login :)
3: Activity monitor seems really laggy on showing the CPU and memory percentages, so that's got me worrying a bit.

Any ideas how to fix any of this.

Cheers

Last edited:
I usually power the UAD devices at the boot screen, should I be turning them on before the computer? There's just one UAD device in the audio setup of Ableton, the issue seems to be more with just the plugins and the processing via the SHARC chips losing connection, audio quality stays fine. I have noticed the issue with the way I boot them and after the computer has been on and the displays go off, although I thought I didn't have sleep enabled I need to double check.

You must power-up the device before the machine is started. Hotswap/re-power does not work for the UAD Apollo 8. If you turn off the Apollo, it will not reconnect to the driver until you restart the machine. I never use Sleep or Power Nap. It only causes problems for me and my Pro Tools 2018.12 and 2019.12 setups, even on my real Macs.

This is not the case for the FW400 connected Digidesign 003R that I can connect like this:
Hack<Apple TB3-TB2 adapter<Apple TB2-FW800 adapter<FW800-FW400 cable>Digidesign 003R audio interface. -This device I can load after boot. I can snap the power on and of and on and off all day and it always reconnects. This is also the case where I've recently reinstalled a 1394b Firewire 800/400 card into the last PCIe x1 slot for this build.

From a web search: “Windows enables the GC-TITAN RIDGE for PCIe tunnelling. This state doesn't change during a warm reboot. When macOS boots, the Thunderbolt controller acts as a normal PCIe switch and macOS can enumerate PCIe devices in the normal PCIe way using IOPCIConfigurator…”

Update: I now have full Z390 Designare (BIOS F9h) UAD Apollo/BMD Multidock and Firewire hotswap functionality in Mojave –without the need to flash the onboard Titan Ridge controller. Use the attached components as needed. This is not a complete EFI for OC 0.6.0:

Attachments

• A few OC 0.6.0 patches to UnZip and Examine for use with a F9H BIOS Z390 Designare i99900KS, C...zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Update:
  • Received a used Designare Z390 today and easily removed the VRM shroud.
  • The MXIC (Macronix) Flash ROM located under the VRM shroud turns out to contain firmware for the 4-port USB 3 hub at HS07/SS07. The firmware dump for this is attached (but it's useless).
  • However, there is a Winbond Flash ROM (W25Q80..) on the back side of the motherboard, located even closer to the Titan Ridge controller than the MXIC chip. This is most likely the correct Thunderbolt firmware chip.
  • Unfortunately, my CH341A reader is unable to detect and therefore read from or write to this chip.
  • Will try reading this chip from my primary Z390 Designare in about a day or two. Because this chip is on the back side, it might be easily accessible from the back of the PC case.
View attachment 445353 View attachment 445355

(In yellow is the Winbond 25Q80... Flash ROM that most likely contains Thunderbolt firmware.)

Update: After a little help from Google, it seems the Winbond W25Q80-series SPI chip (Serial Peripheral Interface) is a low-voltage device. My CH341A programmer may only support 3.3V devices so I've ordered a different USB programmer that is explicitly compatible with the Winbond W25Q80. Next update pending...

Hi CaseySJ, will this be possible on PCie Titan Ridge Card ?

Update: WEG 1.3.6 has been working great, haven't had any idle issues and finally have access to all IO in the back of the dGPU again which is awesome.

Also went thru and installed Windows 10 Pro on M2M (Top NVMe Slot as advised) now have functional Dual Boot
everything seems to work just fine in Windows 10 as well. It seems I can control the Corsair RGB using iCUE in windows 10, at least for Ram RGB the config stays for when I swap to macOS, the CPU Cooler defaults back to regular color scheme doesn't stay when moving from Win10 to macOS for some reason.

I haven't tested any Sleep functions just cause I don't need the system to sleep so much. Only thing I have been wondering is how to change GUI resolution, the image I loaded is when its on my 27in LG, however when my main monitor is my 32in 4k Samsung the image is blown up im trying to adjust the resolution of GUI to 3840x2160 doesn't seem to want to stay.

Outside of that I want to say thanks again to @CaseySJ and everyone who helped along the way.

Now if only my cable management was just a tadddddd bit better lol

Attachments

• IMG_2278.jpg
    IMG_2278.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2279.jpg
    IMG_2279.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 128
Can both of you do the following:
  • Check that your USB devices are connected.
  • Then open System Information --> USB.
  • For each USB device, check the following (as shown in red box) and feel free to post screenshots:
    • Current Available (mA)
    • Current Required (mA)
    • Extra Operating Current (mA)
View attachment 445444

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-18 at 08.55.36.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-18 at 08.55.36.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 106
Another exploration about NVRAM.

i have 5 drives with several EFI´s. MSR 0xE2 is "opened"

Catalina: main system with Clover EFI and emulated NVRAM
Catalina 2: cloned system with OpenCore 0.5.4 and "native" NVRAM
Windows: Windows
Rest: drives for Data with bootable EFI´s where I backup my working EFi´s, when I change something

In Catalina 2 in can now set the default Bootdrive via "system preferences". If I do this and Catalina 2 is the 1st disk in Bios, then OC will automatically boot to Catalina 2

If I set the boot drive to Catalina (Clover EFI) in Bios, then Clover will also automatically boot to Catalina 2. Even if I set the "default Boot volume" to Catalina in config.plist.

That means Clover sees the Native NVRAM and overrides the emulated.plist and scripts.

That gives me hope to get it to work in Clover as well.

Step 2: I deleted EmuVariableUefi.efi, nvram.plist and all the scripts. After reboot Terminal can now read my "HelloWorld" which I have written under OC boot in native NVRAM, but I can not delete it.

So my Clover booted Catalina is able to read from native NVRAM, but not able to write.

Any idea, what to do??

Last edited:
A successful patch -- in which we inject key pieces of Apple's Thunderbolt firmware into the Gigabyte Thunderbolt firmware -- might result in a functional Thunderbolt Bus and Thunderbolt Local Node. Some Thunderbolt devices (even Thunderbolt 3 devices) don't work properly without Thunderbolt Bus. Unfortunately, this won't affect Thunderbolt 1, which will remain incompatible.

This is the final frontier of hackintoshing... Good luck, CaseySJ!

Before System Updates you should make sure, that all your „Hacked“ kexts, efis and clover are actual and compatible.
Hmmmm. I apologize for the stupid question, but how can I check that installed kexts, efis and clover are compatible ? Sorry : I have many things to learn in hackintosh mode :)
Many thanks for your patience :)

hey @CaseySJ thank you so much for this guide! My parts arrived this week and I successfully performed the installation. It works 100% and it was so smooth! Under 1h I had everything ready to use.

Here's my setup:

Z390 Designare
Intel i9 9900K
ADATA 1TB M.2
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB
32GB RAM
ABWB 802,11 AC WI-FI + Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-Express (PCI-E) BCM94360CS2
Corsair Power Supply 650W
Be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4 CPU Cooler
Corsair Carbide Series 275R (But I have a PowerMac G5 case which I will probably use it afterwards)

Only once the BT stopped working and I got the icon "BT not available". I restarted and it came back to normal. Hope this will not happen again! Other than that it was everything so smooth I couldn't believe it.

Highly appreciate your hard work into putting this together for us. Best regards!

Hmmmm. I apologize for the stupid question, but how can I check that installed kexts, efis and clover are compatible ? Sorry : I have many things to learn in hackintosh mode :)
Many thanks for your patience :)
Of course its Not easy to Check. If youre the First to Update you will See what Happens. Otherwise just learn from the problems, the Others had.

Back