Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

CaseySJ, THANK YOU for this incredible guide. I was able to get my aging Hackintosh build upgraded to Catalina without issue and I am thrilled to be on a fresh install of the latest OSX release. With this guide, I was able to get a 100% functional build up and running in just a couple of hours. My singular issue is my BT Keyboard. Bluetooth is fully functional with anything I connect, except for a BT Keyboard. The keyboard cannot maintain a stable connection. I'm using the Matias Wireless Aluminum keyboard and Magic Trackpad 2. The trackpad has no issues. After trying various USB BT adapters, I installed the Fenvi FV-HB1200 in the hopes that a direct connection to the motherboard would do the trick but the issues persist. Everything works, just not the keyboard. If I connect the keyboard to my iMac or MacBook Pro, it performs like a champ, so I'm at a loss here. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Hello @jaminutz

Let's first assume it's a signal attenuation issue. The motherboard comes with a two-port outboard antenna. I believe the Fenvi FV-HB1200 also has 2 antenna ports. Therefore:
  • Disconnect the fixed antennas on the Fenvi.
  • Connect the Designare Z390 outboard antenna to the Fenvi.
  • Now move the antenna around (closer to the keyboard) to see if it works reliably.
You can also try resetting the Bluetooth module as follows:
  • Hold down SHIFT and OPTION keys, then click the Bluetooth icon on the Menu Bar.
  • You will see a Debug option.
  • The first sub-option under that will be Reset the Bluetooth module.
  • Select it.
  • Try the keyboard again.

Hi @CaseySJ,

I left an update on my system issues an hour ago but now I can't see it, seems to have vanished hope I didn't break any forum rules.

Any way, a shorter version, after some trial&error I was able to solve my total system freezes on Catalina using shikigva=16 (parameter present on WEG manual at GitHub), and no other WEG boot flags.

Hope it helps, thank you again for your help,

Hi @CaseySJ,

I left an update on my system issues an hour ago but now I can't see it, seems to have vanished hope I didn't break any forum rules.

Any way, a shorter version, after some trial&error I was able to solve my total system freezes on Catalina using shikigva=16 (parameter present on WEG manual at GitHub), and no other WEG boot flags.

Hope it helps, thank you again for your help,
Hello @m.figueras

Thank you -- this is quite helpful. Some questions:
  • Were you using shikigva=32 before?
  • Is your SMBIOS iMac19,1 or iMacPro1,1?
  • Are you using WhateverGreen 1.3.6 (most recent release)?

Last edited:
Hello @m.figueras

Thank you -- this is quite helpful. Some questions:
  • Were you using shikigva=32 before?
  • Is your SMBIOS iMac19,1 or iMacPro1,1?
  • Are you using WhateverGreen 1.3.6 (most recently release)?

Hi you're most welcome I'll try to help you guys as much as I can

- I was using your EFI/Clover settings "vanilla", with shikigva=32, pikera and shiki-id flags.
- my smbios is Imac 19,1
- yes last versions of whatevergreen, lilu, virtualsmc (it was the first thing I tried)

The no-pikera idea I found in a separate forum (apparently it is unnecessary since 1.3.4) and the shiki value in acidanthera's github manuals

The system was seemingly stable (11h video render stress test included), but UI and video playback had some stutters (minor thing not important for 99% of people). I replaced Vega Frontier with a Radeon VII. So far, so good.

Thanks again.

Hello @jaminutz

Let's first assume it's a signal attenuation issue. The motherboard comes with a two-port outboard antenna. I believe the Fenvi FV-HB1200 also has 2 antenna ports. Therefore:
  • Disconnect the fixed antennas on the Fenvi.
  • Connect the Designare Z390 outboard antenna to the Fenvi.
  • Now move the antenna around (closer to the keyboard) to see if it works reliably.
You can also try resetting the Bluetooth module as follows:
  • Hold down SHIFT and OPTION keys, then click the Bluetooth icon on the Menu Bar.
  • You will see a Debug option.
  • The first sub-option under that will be Reset the Bluetooth module.
  • Select it.
  • Try the keyboard again.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not using the Designare Z390, I'm running a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H. So, swapping antennas is not an option for me. I should have clarified my build components in my initial post. Resetting Bluetooth module does not resolve the issue.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not using the Designare Z390, I'm running a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H. So, swapping antennas is not an option for me. I should have clarified my build components in my initial post. Resetting bluetooth module does not resolve the issue.
Have you tried bringing the keyboard closer to the antennas on the Fenvi? If that helps, you can try this outboard antenna:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NKGW8H1/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Do you have Windows or Linux installed on the Designare Z390? If so:
  • Do the docks work properly under Windows or Linux?
I tested in VMWare Fusion virtual Windows 10 and the disk is all the time connecting/disconnecting don't work but my dock(dock 1) work correctly...

I tested in VMWare Fusion virtual Windows 10 and the disk is all the time connecting/disconnecting don't work but my dock(dock 1) work correctly...
A virtual machine is actually not a good way to test this because the guest operating system (Windows) does not directly initialize and control the physical hardware. There is a hardware abstraction layer (HAL) that gets in the way. So Windows or Linux would have to be natively installed.

But if Dock 1 works and Dock 2 does not, then try moving the hard drive itself from Dock 2 to Dock 1 and check if the problem now moves to Dock 1.

A virtual machine is actually not a good way to test this because the guest operating system (Windows) does not directly initialize and control the physical hardware. There is a hardware abstraction layer (HAL) that gets in the way. So Windows or Linux would have to be natively installed.

But if Dock 1 works and Dock 2 does not, then try moving the hard drive itself from Dock 2 to Dock 1 and check if the problem now moves to Dock 1.
I already tried to move the disk and it really happens to me with that dock with any hard disk, what I do not understand is that if it works well on the macbook ... it is as if the dock's power fails, it has a light and when I transfer files from the other dock or internal hdd the light goes out and freeze ..

ps:i tested with seagate barracuda 500gb and in this disck work ¡¡ and with a ssd m500 crucial 240gb dont work,freeze...

WD red 3tb Dont Work(tested in 3 hdd wd)
SSD m500 Crucial 240gb Dont Work
Seagate Barracuda 500gb:Work

Last edited:
It's very easy to install Linux even on a USB flash disk and boot from it. This will tell us whether the motherboard is defective.

As you can see from reading this thread, hundreds of people have built their Hackintosh without any mouse problems. So there might be something unique in your hardware. Your software setup seems okay.

Remember that a Hackintosh does not come with Tech Support. Does not have Apple Care. Does not have Satisfaction Guarantee. When we decide not to buy a real Mac from Apple, and instead build our own Hackintosh, we must be willing to investigate problems by ourselves. This includes process of elimination to systematically isolate variables until we can narrow down the source of the problem.

So I used Ubuntu Mouse is running fine!

Which way should I do best for a new clean installation?
The fresh catalina ?
or everthing from Mojave beginning
or??

Thanks for an idea!

Back