Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks Casey ! Here are the config.plist (it's the one that you created for me lastly) and a screenshot of my Clover/drivers64UEFI
Please try the following:
  • Shutdown system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF position for a full 10 seconds. This performs a "soft" CMOS reset.
  • Then use the attached config.plist and see if the boot process works.

Attachments

• config-mazop89.plist
    11.5 KB · Views: 58
map I don’t believe this adjustment is what did it however I made this adjustment as well as I updated
Lilu/WEG/VirtualSMC/AppleALC

when I attempted to boot I got apple logo boot into black screen I had seen you mention a black screen fix possibly is itreferenceing this issue?
If your system was running properly before making these changes and if you have a backup of that system, then please boot from the backup to make sure everything starts up correctly.

If setting Devices --> Layout to 11 did not work, you can skip that and try adding alcid=11 to Boot Arguments (in Clover Configurator --> Boot).

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 8.08.46 AM.png

you are right its picture quality is amazing. I am using it with Catalina, on my Designare via Radeon VII, it worked absolutely fine with Mojave.
I was also thinking to get the new LG Ultrafine 5K/4K but didnt observe much of a difference, the only difference may be the DCI P3 gamut.
Having to hot-plug the DP cable is of course quite frustrating. Please try the suggestions in previous post, but also try this:
  • Disconnect DisplayPort and use HDMI cable instead. The Dell, of course, supports HDMI 2.0 (4K at 60Hz). Does the problem occur with HDMI?
  • Yet another option is to enable CSM Support in BIOS. Then try DisplayPort cable again.
P.S. I have my eyes on something like this. Didn't someone announce an OLED 4K 27-inch monitor at CES 2020??

Last edited:
Thanks Casey ! Here are the config.plist (it's the one that you created for me lastly) and a screenshot of my Clover/drivers64UEFI

What version of Clover are you using?
When you are booting, is your plist file called config.plist or config-mazop89.plist?

I know this has been said many times here - but still a MASSIVE Thank You to CaseySJ for the excellent guide and Mac OS install. I really appreciate how well written it is, and in a way that a novice like me can both follow and learn at the same time. Stellar work

I have successfully built the rig, as per the setup in my signature, and it's working very well and everything important is working.

I have a few questions for later, but the most important thing for me to ask now is about the SapphireNitro+ RX580. It sounds like the the fans are gunning at max RPM, and it's pretty noisy. I am using FakeSMC and HWMonitor, I don't think I can see any RX580 fan speeds there.

How would I best proceed to get the fans under control? Would giving VirtualSMC a try be worth it?
Hello @Chevron

Glad to hear the build went well! Regarding the maxed-out fans on Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580...
  • If SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml exists in your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, delete it and empty the trash.
  • Try enabling CSM Support in BIOS.
  • Because you're using FakeSMC at the moment, it most likely means you're running Mojave. Are you using the latest versions of Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC? For Mojave, these should be installed in both CLOVER/kexts/Other and /Library/Extensions.
    • It is necessary to run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache after making any changes to /Library/Extensions folder.
  • Merely switching to VirtualSMC will not affect fans. You are welcome to switch, but a full bootable backup should be made ahead of time. It may also be necessary to update Clover to latest version.

Hello, again. I tested new metod. I changed the USB connections and same problem. I tested by copying 2 files (380GB) in another HDD, and, after 20 min, the HDD is ejected. Any idea?? I'm send you a new IORegistry.
The IOReg tells us:
  • There's a 3TB Western Digital NAS drive on SS04
    • Let's call this Drive A
  • There's a 3TB Western Digital NAS drive on SS07 (on one of the USB hub ports)
    • Let's call this Drive B
  • There's a Seagate Slim Backup Plus drive on SS07 as well (on another port of the USB hub)
    • Let's call this Drive C
If you tried to copy two files with total size of 380GB, please tell me:
  • Which was the source drive (A or B or C) and which was the destination drive (A or B or C)?
I use several USB 3.0 enclosures for SSDs (such as this one). Each one contains a 256GB or larger SSD. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup my entire system via USB 3, and this has never failed.

The largest file-copy operation I performed was backing up a 5TB media drive to an external USB-connected hard drive. Total size of the transfer was about 4.5 TB. It never failed.

If you continue to encounter problems with file-copy, please try using a different USB enclosure for your hard drive. This is the process of elimination -- namely, we start replacing components until the problem goes away.

But if the problem continues, then we must look elsewhere. In this case it would be good to perform a fresh installation of macOS on a spare/temporary SSD and then attempt the same file copy operation on the brand new installation. Does it also fail?

Yet another option is to connect your external USB drives to a real Mac and attempt the same file copy operation. Does it also fail on a real Mac?

Hi all,

Wanted to add a couple data points based on the build I just completed.

1) Initially the bluetooth did not work with my Fenvi t919 but worked after removing USBInjectAll.

2) I have the version 1 of the OWC Thunderbay RAID enclosure, which is Thunderbolt 1 and it works perfectly. OWC updated it to Thunderbolt 2 at some point, but the name stayed the same, and I don't know if the previously reported working one was Thunderbolt 1 or 2.

A huge thank you to CaseySJ and others who have contributed to making this guide so great.
Hello @keenok

Thank you for the feedback! Please note, however, that if Fenvi Bluetooth worked after removing USBInjectAll, it means there is a problem in your Clover configuration. It might be a simple error, but the problem is there. Removing USBInjectAll creates other problems that you have not yet run into!

If you like, please post a screenshot of your Clover folder (from EFI partition of the macOS SSD) with the following folders expanded:
  • CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  • CLOVER/kexts/Other

Everything seems to be set up correctly, and your monitor/cable is also good.
  • When the screen goes blank, have you tried unplugging the HDMI cable and re-plugging it (hot-plug)?
  • Another option is to open the config.plist in Clover Configurator and make these changes:
    • Boot --> Boot Arguments --> add -wegoff
    • Devices --> FakeID --> IntelGFX --> add 12345678
    • Graphics --> InjectIntel --> check this ON
This will disable graphics acceleration and use the standard non-accelerated VESA driver (IONDRVFramebuffer) instead of AppleIntelFramebuffer. But it should enable HDMI...

View attachment 444881 View attachment 444882 View attachment 444883

After tried 100 possibilities finally found the problem. Problem is -cdfon/enable-hdmi20. When I removed enable-hdmi20 data from Properties I can boot now.

But both GPU shows on Slot 0 as a GPU 1 and GPU 2. is that normal?

Another question Clover Boot screen menu does not show correct resolution is this the normal on HDMI?

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 18.01.04.png

After tried 100 possibilities finally found the problem. Problem is -cdfon/enable-hdmi20. When I removed enable-hdmi20 data from Properties I can boot now.

But both GPU shows on Slot 0 as a GPU 1 and GPU 2. is that normal?
This isn't strictly normal, but in the Bus column we can see IGPU is Built-In and RX 560 is PCIe (which is correct). So based on this, I wouldn't worry about it.
Another question Clover Boot screen menu does not show correct resolution is this the normal on HDMI?
What resolution is currently shown? And what resolution are you expecting? Have you tried selecting something from here:
Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 9.00.26 AM.png

I'm admittedly a total n00b at this, so an error is certainly possible! Here's my EFI:

EFI.png

Hello @keenok

Thank you for the feedback! Please note, however, that if Fenvi Bluetooth worked after removing USBInjectAll, it means there is a problem in your Clover configuration. It might be a simple error, but the problem is there. Removing USBInjectAll creates other problems that you have not yet run into!

If you like, please post a screenshot of your Clover folder (from EFI partition of the macOS SSD) with the following folders expanded:
  • CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  • CLOVER/kexts/Other

Back