Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ or anyone else that knows.

I'm still learning about using SSDT files. It is easy when you have a guide like this, to worry about the details. I have two slightly experienced noob questions.

1) I presume that the SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml is only changing the available phy interfaces available for the OS/Drivers to use. If I use the HS11 HS12 with USB hubs attached the use of the FV-T919 has no affect. I just want to confirm this. I just saw this comment under the USB Splitter

"If you need to connect more than 2 devices to the single F_USB header, you can purchase the 1-to-4 version of this splitter."

For some stupid reason I thought the SSDT was hardwiring the HS11/HS12 to the devices.

2) Any good SSDT guides that a Noob can read to better understand how to edit and apply SSDt changes?

Thanks in advance.

The range is staggering -- from $70 to $100,000 for a working board! :)
notice the $100,000 one is "out of stock" from a marketplace vendor. might be a gimmick to get people to click through to the vendor's website and buy something else.

Last edited:
Anybody used BIOS F9b yet?

Alright so I completed a mojave install and all was running pretty stable. I do not recall anything not working. I could have just updated to Catalina but, where is the fun in that. I went for a fresh install and reformatted all drives. Initially, the Catalina mini-guide served me well. Everything was up and running. I only had one small hiccup where the OS install got stuck at 9min remaining and I had to manually shutdown and restart. But, after that everything was smooth as butter.

Currently, I stand with my machine only showing the install OS from USB in clover boot options. Everything has just disappeared. I do not have an option to boot to any other drives or partitions what so ever. The bios recognizes my internal m.2 ssd. But, oddly it does not show up under boot options any longer. Furthermore, if I do proceed with the "install os from usb" my m.2 internal drive is not listed in disk utility either. Any suggestions? I have flashed bios f8 and f9b. Again, the bios can see the m.2 ssd. But, it is not listed under boot options. I'm not even sure how to format it if disk utility doesn't see it.
make sure you have an apfs driver in your efi/clover/drivers/UEFI folder. Mojave didn't require APFS file system, so if you are still running on your Mojave EFI folder you may not have added the apfs driver that Catalina requires.

I'm having trouble with the initial stages of this build before even getting to the Hackintosh part.
  • Gigabyte z390 Designare
  • i9-9900k
  • Corsair LPX 64GB CMK64GX4M4C3200C16
  • Sapphire AMD RX580
  • NZXT X72 cooler
  • Corsair AX850
  • Samsung 970 EVO PLUS SSD 2TB
When I hit the power button on my case, the motherboard gets into a reboot loop. Initially the CPU light was solid red before even attempting to boot along with reboot loop. Now the CPU light is off after re-seating the CPU, but the reboot loop persists along with cycling between solid red RAM and solid red CPU light. I swapped out the PSU to no avail.

The only thing I can think of right now is that this specific RAM is not listed under QVL, although most of the Corsair LPX appears to be on QVL. Either that or maybe the motherboard is just bad?

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of right now is that this specific RAM is not listed under QVL, although most of the Corsair LPX appears to be on QVL. Either that or maybe the motherboard is just bad?
Instead of installing all 64 GB of your RAM to start with try just one 16GB DIMM instead then see if the same problem occurs. If it does, try another of the DIMMS till you've tested all four. Also try them in different slots to see if that changes anything.

Instead of installing all 64 GB of your RAM to start with try just one 16GB DIMM instead then see if the same problem occurs. If it does, try another of the DIMMS till you've tested all four. Also try them in different slots to see if that changes anything.
Gave this a shot. Isolating the sticks did not solve the problem. Tried the other slots too to no avail.
RenderedImage.jpeg

Last edited:
@CaseySJ or anyone else that knows.

I'm still learning about using SSDT files. It is easy when you have a guide like this, to worry about the details. I have two slightly experienced noob questions.

1) I presume that the SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml is only changing the available phy interfaces available for the OS/Drivers to use. If I use the HS11 HS12 with USB hubs attached the use of the FV-T919 has no affect. I just want to confirm this. I just saw this comment under the USB Splitter

"If you need to connect more than 2 devices to the single F_USB header, you can purchase the 1-to-4 version of this splitter."

For some stupid reason I thought the SSDT was hardwiring the HS11/HS12 to the devices.

2) Any good SSDT guides that a Noob can read to better understand how to edit and apply SSDt changes?

Thanks in advance.
  • SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7 does the following:
    • Informs macOS to use a specific set of 15 USB ports.
      • Because macOS is limited to 15 ports and the Designare motherboard provides more than 15 ports, we need to carefully choose 15 of them.
    • Disables Bluetooth on the Intel CNVi module (Intel Bluetooth) by hiding HS14 from macOS.
    • Configures HS11 and HS12 as type "Internal" for use with internal (non-ejectable) USB devices.
      • The single F_USB header on the motherboard contains 9 pins:
        • 4 pins are for HS11
        • 4 pins are for HS12
        • 1 pin is extra -- for correct orientation of the plug
  • The USB Splitter is needed because most internal USB devices (such as Fenvi FV-T919 Bluetooth cable, NZXT Kraken liquid cooler USB cable, etc.) come with 9-pin connectors that end up occupying both HS11 and HS12 even though they use only one of these ports.
    • The USB splitter comes in two forms:
      • 1-to-2 splitter (provides two 9-pin connectors)
      • 1-to-4 splitter (provides four 9-pin connectors)
      • Both of these splitters still connect to the single F_USB 9-pin header on the motherboard.
  • There are a handful of guides for creating custom USB SSDTs:
  • To learn more about SSDTs / ACPI programming, one can start by looking at a number of RehabMan posts in forums such as these:

notice the $100,000 one is "out of stock" from a marketplace vendor. might be a gimmick to get people to click through to the vendor's website and buy something else.
I posted the NewEgg screenshot only for amusement. I found it hilarious...nothing more. :)

Gave this a shot. Isolating the sticks did not solve the problem. Tried the other slots too to no avail.
  • Have you connected the NZXT Kraken to CPU_FAN header? There does seem to be a cable heading to that location.
  • Have you also connected the NZXT Kraken to F_USB header?
  • I see an 8-pin CPU power cable going to ATX_12V_2X4. Please confirm.
  • Are the memory DIMMs fully seated in their slots? Did they click into place when pressed?
  • Is the RX 580 fully seated in its slot? Did it also click into place (because of the plastic retention clip at the back of the long PCIe slot)?
  • Is the RX 580 fully powered?
  • Is the monitor connected to the RX 580?
  • The Kraken X72 CPU block comes with a weird thermal compound already applied. There's no need to apply any additional thermal compound (but I tend to remove the standard compound and replace it with my own).
  • Was the CPU installed incorrectly the first time? Is there any observable damage to the CPU socket or to the back of the CPU?
Remember to always shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF position before inserting or removing any component on the motherboard. This is the only way to drain all power from the board and force the BIOS to scan for new or removed devices.

Last edited:
Back