Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I used the Mini Guide of @CaseySJ because the MultiBeast for Catalina is not yet released. Everything worked perfectly. Internet, Sleep, Graphics with RX580, Audio (did not test all USB yet).

But, the "About my Mac" windows shows me that I use an "3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9". But I use an i7-9700K. Maybe it is not the best the macOS think I use an different core? Any idea why it can't notice the correct one or should I just ignore it?

Thanks for all your guides!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,
hey @CaseySJ,

in advance: Thanks for the immense help you provide for every of us and the awesome tutorials on this setup.

I'm still experiencing some issues with my new built Hackintosh.
To be precise: Whenever leaving my computer and the system is in idle for round about 5-7 minutes, the system freezes and never comes back again.

I was a little lucky to get this moment directly on camera with task-manager open:

So according to this, it has something todo with cloud synchronization or photo library daemons.
As I have seen some other topic/threads regarding the photo and media analyzing deamon I already tried to disable it but nothing changed --> I think even this are different issues since im not seeing the analysis daemon in the video-task-manager.

PS: I still haven't updated BIOS to 9b- it is currently running on FW 8. Layout is no changed since these changes on the mini guide are too new :D

I changed my configuration to iMac Pro because I couldn't play any Netflix videos - with iMacPro its working.

Attached here is my EFI folder.

Thanks for any hint.
(Sure, deleting / deactivation of cloud services would maybe a solution,.. but this is one of my favorite features since I have my libraries anywhere.)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    28.5 MB · Views: 85
The drivers/UEFI folder must contain the full set of EFI drivers that are present in the ZIP file (please see Catalina Mini-Guide). Then drivers64UEFI can be deleted.
Worked like a charm !

I used the Mini Guide of @CaseySJ because the Multibeast for Catalina is not yet released. Everything worked perfectly. Internet, Sleep, Graphics with RX580, Audio (did not test all USB yet).

But the "About my Mac" windows shows me that I use an "3,6 Ghz 8-Core Intel Core i9". But I use an i7-9700K. Maybe it is not the best the macOS think I use an different core? Any idea why it can't notice the correct one or should I just ignore it?

Thanks for all your guides!
Hello @pabloh

It's okay to ignore the CPU in About this Mac. The procedure we used in Mojave to rename the CPU does not work in Catalina. Although the CPU name can be changed, in my view it's better to leave it alone.

Also, please see the note about not quoting the Catalina Mini-Guide. Would you please edit your post and remove it?

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.12.42 AM.png

Hey guys,
hey @CaseySJ,

in advance: Thanks for the immense help you provide for every of us and the awesome tutorials on this setup.

I'm still experiencing some issues with my new built Hackintosh.
To be precise: Whenever leaving my computer and the system is in idle for round about 5-7 minutes, the system freezes and never comes back again.

I was a little lucky to get this moment directly on camera with task-manager open:

So according to this, it has something todo with cloud synchronization or photo library daemons.
As I have seen some other topic/threads regarding the photo and media analyzing deamon I already tried to disable it but nothing changed --> I think even this are different issues since im not seeing the analysis daemon in the video-task-manager.

PS: I still haven't updated BIOS to 9b- it is currently running on FW 8. Layout is no changed since these changes on the mini guide are too new :D

I changed my configuration to iMac Pro because I couldn't play any Netflix videos - with iMacPro its working.

Attached here is my EFI folder.

Thanks for any hint.
(Sure, deleting / deactivation of cloud services would maybe a solution,.. but this is one of my favorite features since I have my libraries anywhere.)
Because you're using SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 (which means no iGPU), please make a backup of config.plist and then remove the following entry from config.plist:
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.17.43 AM.png

Then add -wegoff to Boot Arguments to disable WhateverGreen.

Reboot and see if the system still freezes after a a few minutes.

Alright so I completed a Mojave install, and all was running pretty stable. I do not recall anything not working. I could have just updated to Catalina.But, where is the fun in that. I went for a fresh install and reformatted all drives. Initially, the Catalina mini-guide served me well. Everything was up and running. I only had one small hiccup where the OS install got stuck at 9 min remaining and I had to manually shutdown and restart. But, after that everything was smooth as butter.

Currently, I stand with my machine only showing the install OS from USB in Clover Boot options. Everything has just disappeared. I do not have an option to boot to any other drives or partitions what so ever. The BIOS recognizes my internal M.2 SSD. But, oddly it does not show up under boot options any longer. Furthermore, if I do proceed with the "install os from USB", my M.2 internal drive is not listed in disk utility either. Any suggestions? I have flashed bios f8 and f9b. Again, the BIOS can see the M.2 SSD. But, it is not listed under boot options. I'm not even sure how to format it if disk utility doesn't see it.

Alright so I completed a Mojave install, and all was running pretty stable. I do not recall anything not working. I could have just updated to Catalina.But, where is the fun in that. I went for a fresh install and reformatted all drives. Initially, the Catalina mini-guide served me well. Everything was up and running. I only had one small hiccup where the OS install got stuck at 9 min remaining and I had to manually shutdown and restart. But, after that everything was smooth as butter.

Currently, I stand with my machine only showing the install OS from USB in Clover Boot options. Everything has just disappeared. I do not have an option to boot to any other drives or partitions what so ever. The BIOS recognizes my internal M.2 SSD. But, oddly it does not show up under boot options any longer. Furthermore, if I do proceed with the "install os from USB", my M.2 internal drive is not listed in disk utility either. Any suggestions? I have flashed bios f8 and f9b. Again, the BIOS can see the M.2 SSD. But, it is not listed under boot options. I'm not even sure how to format it if disk utility doesn't see it.
Some suggestions:
  • I know you've re-flashed the BIOS, but try shutting down and flipping power switch on PSU for 10 seconds. Then flip it back and reboot.
    • Does M.2 appear in Clover Boot Menu now?
    • Does M.2 appear in Disk Utility after booting from USB Install disk?
  • Do you have Windows installed on this system?
    • If so, check whether it appears as a drive in Windows --> Manage --> Disk Management.
  • If you have an external USB enclosure for PCIe M.2 (such as this one), you can mount the NVMe SSD into the external enclosure and connect it to any other Windows or Mac to determine if the drive is recognized and format-able.

Some suggestions:
  • I know you've re-flashed the BIOS, but try shutting down and flipping power switch on PSU for 10 seconds. Then flip it back and reboot.
    • Does M.2 appear in Clover Boot Menu now?
    • Does M.2 appear in Disk Utility after booting from USB Install disk?
  • Do you have Windows installed on this system?
    • If so, check whether it appears as a drive in Windows --> Manage --> Disk Management.
  • If you have an external USB enclosure for PCIe M.2 (such as this one), you can mount the NVMe SSD into the external enclosure and connect it to any other Windows or Mac to determine if the drive is recognized and format-able.

*I'm sure I tried flipping the switch on the PSU, but I will try it again once I get back to the machine.
*No, Windows has never been installed.
*I do not own an enclosure.

Would it be worth going ahead an installing the macOS to my SATA SSD? this drive does show in Disk Utility. Although, ultimately this drive will be used as my "Home" folder once I can get my M.2 recognized again. Thanks for the quick response!

*I'm sure I tried flipping the switch on the PSU, but I will try it again once I get back to the machine.
*No, Windows has never been installed.
*I do not own an enclosure.

Would it be worth going ahead an installing the macOS to my SATA SSD? this drive does show in Disk Utility. Although, ultimately this drive will be used as my "Home" folder once I can get my M.2 recognized again. Thanks for the quick response!
Sure, you may install to the SATA SSD. You can also clone the SATA SSD to the M.2 NVMe SSD once it becomes visible again in macOS.

Sure, you may install to the SATA SSD. You can also clone the SATA SSD to the M.2 NVMe SSD once it becomes visible again in macOS.

Cool. I will report back after further troubleshooting. Thanks, again!

Back