Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

hmmmm. I followed the guide, but doesn't look like I have it
Please click on Devices --> Properties as indicated below, then select the 3rd item:

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 6.43.12 PM.png

Here's everything you need! I've configured OcQuirks.plist to match the compiled settings in OcQuirks-4.efi. Everyone who wishes to try this is welcome to do so, as follows:
  • Mount EFI partition and backup these two existing files:
    • CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/OcQuirks-4.efi
    • CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/FwRuntimeServices.efi
  • Then delete the above two files.
  • Download the attached ZIP and copy all three included files to:
    • CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/
  • Reboot.
  • Does the system boot? Does it throw a memory allocation or runtime area error message instead?
Works for me too! I'll update the Catalina Mini-Guide shortly. I'd like to emphasize that this change is optional.

Edit: Catalina Mini-Guide has been updated.

Last edited:
This might be a good opportunity to try MemoryAllocation.efi by copying it into the CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder without deleting existing OcQuirks/FwRuntimeServices. iGPU should be enabled.

I put that in and enabled iGPU. I got a kernal panic instead. If I turn iGPU off I can boot with MemoryAllocation.efi without it causing a kernel panic.

Wow! I'm an idiot! But you're right; it looks the same. But isn't that different than the platform id typed a couple of posts up?

wow. im an idiot..... but your right looks the same. but isn't that different than the Wow! I'm an idiot! But you're right; it looks the same. But isn't that different than the platform id typed a couple of posts up?
We can use the following Platform IDs on this system:
  • 0x3E980003
    • This is the preferred ID when a discrete AMD GPU is installed.
    • It puts the iGPU into "headless" mode, which means iGPU will not drive a display monitor.
    • So display monitor must be connected to AMD GPU.
  • 0x3E9B0007
    • This is used when a discrete GPU is not present.
    • It enables video output from the iGPU, and activates the 3 video ports on the rear IO panel:
      1. DisplayPort on Thunderbolt port 1
        • We can use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable to connect directly to a DisplayPort-capable monitor.
        • We can also connect a Thunderbolt cable to a Thunderbolt monitor.
      2. DisplayPort on Thunderbolt port 2
        • We can use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable to connect directly to a DisplayPort-capable monitor.
        • We can also connect a Thunderbolt cable to a Thunderbolt monitor.
      3. HDMI (but HDMI requires a little more patching before it will display video)

I put that in and enabled iGPU. I got a kernal panic instead. If I turn iGPU off I can boot with MemoryAllocation.efi without it causing a kernel panic.
Perhaps a CMOS Reset is worth trying (after removing MemoryAllocation.efi). It will retrain the memory map, but re-flashing BIOS should do the same thing. (BIOS parameters must be configured again after CMOS Reset.)

Perhaps a CMOS Reset is worth trying (after removing MemoryAllocation.efi). It will retrain the memory map, but re-flashing BIOS should do the same thing. (BIOS parameters must be configured again after CMOS Reset.)

I did the BIOS reflash with that in mind but it didn't help. I updated to F9b since that was on my to-do list.

** Advanced-Level Request **

Update 10-Jan-2020: Images have been received, so this request is closed.

This is a very specialized request. If someone has an uninstalled Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard and is comfortable performing a little bit of careful disassembly on the board, then please see if you might be able to do the following:

Goal:
  • To capture 2 or 3 close-up images of the Thunderbolt chip and its immediate surroundings (in focus of course).
  • In particular, the goal is to determine whether an 8-pin flash ROM chip is located anywhere in the immediate vicinity of the Intel Thunderbolt controller. A photo of the region will help us determine this.
Location of Chip:
  • The Thunderbolt chip is located in the red boxes shown below.
  • However, it is covered up by the VRM heatsink shroud as we can see in the second image. The shroud seems to be connected with 2 or 3 screws.
If you have some experience with this type of work, and believe that the shroud can be removed easily, then and only then should you consider attempting this task.

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 7.15.02 PM.png2018122014341375_src.png

Last edited:
If you installed macOS Catalina by following the Catalina Mini-Guide, then the iGPU is running in 'headless' mode, which means it won't drive a monitor. So we need to:
  1. Attach a DisplayPort cable from the RX 580 to the DP-In port on the rear IO panel (green box).
  2. Then connect the Thunderbolt monitor to TYPEC_1 port (red box).
View attachment 444270
Thank you! this worked!

@CaseySJ Huge congratulations on the successful build! Thanks for the hard work on this.

I came up with a very similar config, but with i9-9900K CPU so I've been watching your progress here with a great attention, while waiting for all of my ordered hardware to arrive. So now, everything is working great in my build, except one, very important thing for me: Apple Thunderbolt Display doesn't work. I'm really in love with this display, but still can't manage it to work in my new system.

I'm using DP/DP cable from DP output of my Sapphire RX 580 to DP input of the Z390 Designare. And then I connect my Thunderbolt Display through the Apple TB3/TB2 adapter to one of the two Thunderbolt ports of the motherboard.

Have been playing with various BIOS settings, connecting and reconnecting monitor before boot and after macOS load. No luck.

Before building this machine, I've been using my old MacBook Pro 2012 with Apple Thunderbolt Display.
Maybe there's a benefit of having a working mbp+tb display combo, so there's a chance for some kind of dsdt patch/acpi fixes/any other info extraction.

Really hope to make Thunderbolt display to work with my new system. Highly appreciate if someone can point me to the right direction to solve this.
Hey @CaseySJ! First, if all thanks a lot of tour detailed awesome posts, you are life saver.
I followed your guide and upgraded from Mojave to Catalina. Everything went smooth and perfectly fine. But I hit a weird issue. When I ran Mojave, I had everything working including iMessage, FaceTime, etc. After the upgrade, everything works but iMessage and FaceTime, I tried all SMBIOS, cleaning, etc. But, whenever I try to activate iMessage and FaceTime, it simply says an error occurred without any code, etc., for FaceTime. It says no reachable address found. Can anyone help?

Back