Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I've seen the post but it was referring to the old LG UltraFine 5K, I thought the new one might support DP 1.3+ / HBR3 which would allow true 5K on a single 4-lanes connection.

But anyway the log file confirms there's only one DP 1.2 HBR2 (4x5,4Gbps) connection, so true 5K is not possible :
Code:
Connections:
  1:
  2:
* 3: [DP 1.2 4 x HBR2]      Status: [4 x HBR2 7777]      caps [features 0x101001b, p_encoding 0xd]             Sink   OUI:204-045-140 27MD5K [050-055-077-068-053-075] HW Version: 48   FW Version: 3.4
  4:
  5:
  6:

Further down the lines I can see what seems to be a downscaling from 5120x2880 to 3840x2160 :
Code:
Refresh Rate (Calculated)    60 Hz
Refresh Rate (Stored)    0.0 Hz        Refresh Rate (Stored)    0.0 Hz
Window (Active)    3840 x 2160        Window (Active)    3840 x 2160
Window (Scaled)    5120 x 2880        Window (Scaled)    5120 x 2880
Scaled Inset    0 x 0        Scaled Inset    0 x 0

The same test with my MacBookPro13,2 reveals two DP 1.2 HBR2 connections (the only difference being features at 0x1000a instead of 0x101001b and p_encoding at 0x0 instead of 0xd).

I'm happy to report that my LG Ultrafine 5K (2019) is now working at full 5K : 5120x2880@60Hz thanks to a GC-Titan Ridge PCIe card (with 2 DP inputs coming from the Radeon VII, 1 TB3 output to the display) :

Code:
DID-EXT: Display ID Extension:
------------------------------
    (only partly interpreted)
    DisplayID version........1.2

DisplayID Block Type = Detailed Timing Block type 1:
    Detailed Timing #1 in Block
    Mode = 5120 × 2880 @ 59.993Hz
        Pixel Clock............. 938.25 MHz        Non-Interlaced

Horizontal        Vertical
        Active.................. 5120 pixels        2880 lines
        Front Porch.............   48 pixels           3 lines
        Sync Width..............   32 pixels           5 lines
        Back Porch..............   80 pixels          74 lines
        Blanking................  160 pixels          82 lines
        Total................... 5280 pixels        2962 lines
        Scan Rate............... 177.699 kHz         59.993 Hz

Is default Mode

AGDCDiagnose confirms there's two DP 1.2 HBR2 connections just like with my MacBook Pro :
Code:
Connections:
* 1: [DP 1.2 4 x HBR2]      Status: [4 x HBR2 7777]      caps [features 0x101001b, p_encoding 0xd]             Sink   OUI:204-045-140 27MD5K [050-055-077-068-053-075] HW Version: 48   FW Version: 3.4
* 2: [DP 1.2 4 x HBR2]      Status: [4 x HBR2 7777]      caps [features 0x101001b, p_encoding 0xd]             Sink   OUI:204-045-140 27MD5K [050-055-077-068-053-075] HW Version: 48   FW Version: 3.4
  3: 
  4: 
  5: 
  6:

There's still a lot of tests to be done and only the display is working at the moment (no USB-C, internal camera, speaker and microphone) but it's showing promise.

I plugged the GC-Titan Ridge card in the PCIEX8 slot of the Designare because my PCIEX4 slot is currently blocked by a piece of water-cooling tubing. I think it should be plugged in the PCIEX4 to run from PCH since there's already the internal Alpine Ridge running on the CPU.

I'll try disabling the internal thunderbolt controller and/or using the PCIEX4 on PCH to see if I can get full Thunderbolt functionality but there's hope !

Attachments

• AGDCDiagnose.txt
    78.5 KB · Views: 84
I just followed the guide. So far everything that I have tested is working just fine (Bluetooth is via USB IOGear adapter). But worthy of note is that my Apollo Twin Duo Mk1 works with a Apple Thunderbolt TB2 to TB3 adapter.

I was totally expecting that it wouldn't work as it's a MK1, and so is supposed to be TB1 only. So that was a welcome surprise.
Hey,

I've literally just set up my first build and it's working well so far... I also have the Apollo Mk1. Can I ask what adapter you used?

I've ordered a Startech TBT3TBTADAP and just waiting for the Amazon delivery now before I can test it out!

I am about to pull the trigger on a build like this (Thank you @CaseySJ !)

I looked through the list of Thunderbolt 3 Experiences, but could not find any listings for the older Apollo Twin Solo MK1. I did notice the listing for the Apollo Twin Duo MK1 and that keep my hopes up.

The manual for this Apollo Twin Solo MK1 lists it as being compatible with Thunderbolt 1 and 2 and specifically states that “Apollo Twin can be connected to a Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 port” and “Apollo Twin can be connected to compatible Thunderbolt 3 equipped computers via a qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter.”

I currently run another two other Apollo Twin Solo MKI. One on a Gigabyte Z170 Designare through an Apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 cable and one on a Gigabyte Z370XP SLI motherboard with a Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge rev2 Thunderbolt 3 add-on card through an Apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 cable with no other issues than I had to active the Thunderbolt interface in Windows before I could use it in MacOS.

I did read through some of this massive thread including the part about Intel not allowing Legacy Mode and am currently not sure if the Apollo Twin Solo Mk1 will actually work with the thunderbolt interface on the Gigabyte Designare Z390.

Does anybody Thunderbolt savvy have any clue if this Apollo Twin Solo MK1 will work with the Gigabyte Z390 Designare?

Hey,

I've literally just set up my first build and it's working well so far... I also have the Apollo Mk1. Can I ask what adapter you used?

I've ordered a Startech TBT3TBTADAP and just waiting for the Amazon delivery now before I can test it out!

Is that the Apollo Twin Duo or Solo MK1?

Can someone please help me get TB3 working with my monitor. My monitor is on the list of working devices. But, when I plug it in I just get a black screen. There has been times where the machine would freeze or boot loop if a TB3 cable was plugged in. I would like to use my LG 32UL950 with TB3. All works well using the HDMI and DP ports coming from the RX 580. Any suggestions?
If you installed macOS Catalina by following the Catalina Mini-Guide, then the iGPU is running in 'headless' mode, which means it won't drive a monitor. So we need to:
  1. Attach a DisplayPort cable from the RX 580 to the DP-In port on the rear IO panel (green box).
  2. Then connect the Thunderbolt monitor to TYPEC_1 port (red box).
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 7.55.30 AM.png

And one more question...when I turn on my PC, they turn on for one second fan start spin and after that PC torn off and then system is boot normally, is that OK?
This is normal if you turn off the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF (or unplug power cable from the wall). But if you perform a standard shutdown without flipping the power switch on PSU or pulling power cable from the wall, then the computer should turn on once and stay on when you power it back up.

My case is - be quiet! Silent Base 601
IORegistry attached. Thank!
The IOReg file indicates that you might not have the correct set of SSDTs in CLOVER/ACPI/patched. Please post a screenshot of the expanded Clover folder so we can see all files in CLOVER/ACPI/patched and CLOVER/kexts/Other.

This is in Windows, BTW. I haven't gone macOS yet wanted to iron out the build. Thank for having a look.

EDIT: When I am reading from the NVMe, the system C drive computer slows down to a crawl. Whereas, when I use USB external drive, its transferring faster, and I can use the computer normally while transferring.
Understood... Please try Crystal Disk Mark (for Windows) by downloading it from the Microsoft App Store:

It will measure raw read and write speeds for each disk.

Hey,

The Apple adapter works well, and works on PC, too.

A beginers question about thunderbolt 3. Regarding video output through thunderbolt 3 port:
  • Is it possible to output video through thunderbolt port with this setup (Designare, RX580, etc...)?
  • If yes, is better than standard DisplayPort in the GPU?
  • And, how can it be done? is the GPU sending video to MB and MB send it through thunderbolt port?

Just trying to understand :)

Back