Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This thread was getting inundated with sleep/wake problems, and the same advice (as in the Sleep Aid) was being repeated daily.

Please update your sleep/wake suggestions post about DarkWake flag as another variable of sleep/week issues solution as this might be the crucial element actually. Just link it back to my post here, which I’m going to update about my research.

Hope you've all had a great start of the 2020!
I've ordered most of the components but have two questions. Any answers will be greatly appreciated:
•I'm looking to order the 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2 2TB but read some mixed reviews on how it performs. has anyone managed to successfully get this to work on their systems?
•I need recommendations on cooling systems for the i7. The one used by CaseySJ seems great but fairly hard to source as I'm based in the UK. I'm using a 'ThermalTake Versa J23'. Do I need a dedicated CPU cooling system and if so any reasonably priced ones you'd recommend? Thermaltake website says this about the case: "the J23 can fit a tower CPU cooler with maximum height 160mm, and dual expansion slots for VGA up to 310mm in length, and a power supply with length of up to 170mm."
Sorry if this has been covered or if it's too simple for a post. I'm getting there.

I'm using Enthoo Pro M case, which is a smidgen larger than yours but looks pretty similar. These are my temps in the middle of a Cinebench run (did a couple first to make sure it was warmed up) with Noctua NH-U12S (black one because I don't want ugly beige in my clean build).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 18.33.18.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 18.33.18.png
    201.8 KB · Views: 77
Please update your sleep/wake suggestions post about DarkWake flag as another variable of sleep/week issues solution as this might be the crucial element actually. Just link it back to my post here, which I’m going to update about my research.
I've added a link to your previous post here.

I no longer use DarkWake or Enable Power Nap. DarkWake = 0 was originally suggested as a way to wake from sleep with a single keypress. However, it produced various side effects on various systems. As I commented earlier in this thread, I don't mind pressing 2 keys to wake from sleep.

Keep in mind that the build guide is not a dictatorial document that requires everyone to follow every procedure. Instead, Going the Extra Mile is full of optional extras. Not everyone wants DarkWake -- and it's not essential to proper, basic sleep/wake.

Actually I'm trying to not use anything blindly like playing o roulette. There is always a reason for every issue and it's important to know exact reason. if we are sick, it's smart to figure how what's the real illness, instead of trying every medicine that comes in our mind or is available at home. Such behaviour can lead into bigger troubles or just hide some symptoms but the cause is not fixed.

For example the 300-Series RTC patch is originally AsRock Z390 BIOS DSDT Device(RTC) bug fix, which helps when on AsRock 300 series motherboards an initial boot fails or stuck after loading the APFS driver etc.

The patch changes the following query in the _STA method of RTC from

if (STAS == 1) too
if (0xFF or 0xFF) // Always 1

Do you have more detailed explanation about this patch available?

EmuVariableUefi.efi is for emulated NVRAM on case the native NVRAM is not available (or isn't stable for some reasons). According to my knowledge there are conflicting statements about z390 native NVRAM, some claim that if properly patched DSDT is used, native NVRAM should work. Anyway I'm using EmuVariableUefi.efi.

If there is no some serious bug reported, I'm using always the latest hack kexts. It's very easy to check it with Hackintool.

For example, if I let computer to sleep for 5 minutes, it wakes fine. No issues. Something happens on long sleep. Seems that when comp wakes by-self, it but gets stuck on going back to proper sleep or doesn't wake properly on case self initialised wake.

So sleep works until I don't leave comp for overnight sleep. For example I have left my Z170 comp for day's to sleep (going to travel) and when I come back, it wakes fine.

I don't use darkwake flag on boot but @CaseySJ, your suggestions guide doesn't mention darkwake flag at all. But in your initial post you wrote:

I supposed you have to update you sleep suggestions guide, as this doesn't mention the quite important aspect.

The DarkWake feature in Mac OS X Lion or newer that allows to wake up certain parts of your Mac from sleep, while leaving other parts in sleep mode.

Whatever suggestions users may have, I suppose that there are only these flags available now accordion to xnu-4903.241.1/iokit/Kernel/IOPMrootDomain.cpp:

Code:
// gDarkWakeFlags
enum {
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleEarly      = 0x01, // hid tickle before gfx suppression
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleLate       = 0x02, // hid tickle after gfx suppression
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleNone       = 0x03, // hid tickle is not posted
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleMask       = 0x03,
    kDarkWakeFlagAlarmIsDark         = 0x0100,
    kDarkWakeFlagGraphicsPowerState1 = 0x0200,
    kDarkWakeFlagAudioNotSuppressed  = 0x0400
};

If we translate hex values into decimals we get this table:
  • kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleEarly = 1
  • kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleLate = 2
  • kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleNone = 3
  • kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleMask = 3
  • kDarkWakeFlagAlarmIsDark = 256,
  • kDarkWakeFlagGraphicsPowerState1 = 512,
  • kDarkWakeFlagAudioNotSuppressed = 1024
Seems that these flags are not used anymore:

Code:
    kDarkWakeFlagIgnoreDiskIOInDark  = 0x04, // ignore disk idle in DW
    kDarkWakeFlagIgnoreDiskIOAlways  = 0x08, // always ignore disk idle
    kDarkWakeFlagIgnoreDiskIOMask    = 0x0C

So, for example boot flag darkwake=8 and darkwake=10 are obsolete now as there is no kDarkWakeFlagIgnoreDiskIOAlways defined anymore. Which leads us to next possible combinations:

darkwake=0
darkwake=1
darkwake=2
darkwake=3
darkwake=256
darkwake=257

So, as flags are used for bitwise operations, then for example darkwake=10 equals actually to combination darkwake=2 now, which is kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleLate = hid tickle after gfx suppression.

Catalina 10.15.1 uses xnu-6153.41.3 and Catalina 10.15.2 uses xnu-6153.61.1. The latest xnu source available online is 4903.241.1. If someone can find 6153.41.3, this will be great, so we can dig what Apple has defined for gDarkWakeFlags in this version.

Code:
uname -av
Darwin videoStudio.local 19.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 19.2.0: Sat Nov  9 03:47:04 PST 2019; root:xnu-6153.61.1~20/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

So I'm going to test various darkwake options now to see the impact. Anyway, @CaseySJ this would be great if you get a chance to test overnight sleep on your comp.

On my system (ASRock Z390) I run OpenCore. I also use a PCI based Wifi/Bluetoothe card.To get sleep to work I had to ensure the following
1. Disable the onboard Wifi card in BIOS. This alone was not enough - I had to delete this (HS14 in my case) in the USB port definition
2. Reset BIOS to factory; reset NVRAM; delete sleep image reboot.
3. Replaced SSDT RTC0 with SSDT AWAC (RTC0=Fix AsRock Z390 BIOS DSDT Device(RTC) bug)

Are there any useful WEG/shikigva args for Radeon VII? The guide setting of sjhikigva doesn't seem to do anything useful. I have quick sync working snd I'm not sure if AME is using the intel chip or the GPU for hardware encode but it does work. I've tried 16,32,64,80 and 128 as args but Safari won't play prime video or Netflix and chrome only plays video in low res. I'm aware that I can switch to iMacPro bios but it doesn't seem worth the bother if everything else is working.

hey....a bit off topic, but i just noticed my apple tv+ badge lit up on my phone.... i clicked on it and because i have a new mac i get a year free. did anyone else get this?

Are there any useful WEG/shikigva args for Radeon VII? The guide setting of sjhikigva doesn't seem to do anything useful. I have quick sync working snd I'm not sure if AME is using the intel chip or the GPU for hardware encode but it does work. I've tried 16,32,64,80 and 128 as args but Safari won't play prime video or Netflix and chrome only plays video in low res.

It depends how your system is configured. If you use Radeon VII, then it's recommended to disable IGPU from BIOS. You can check my build linked below for more details.

I'm aware that I can switch to iMacPro bios but it doesn't seem worth the bother if everything else is working.

Actually it's very important which SMBIOS you are using! After lot of tests I have figured that from performance perspective for Radeon VII is the best iMacPro SMBIOS with IGPU fully disabled (from BIOS) as various video rendering apps are performing a lot better on that way.

Last edited:
On my system (ASRock Z390) I run OpenCore. I also use a PCI based Wifi/Bluetoothe card.To get sleep to work I had to ensure the following
1. Disable the onboard Wifi card in BIOS. This alone was not enough - I had to delete this (HS14 in my case) in the USB port definition
2. Reset BIOS to factory; reset NVRAM; delete sleep image reboot.
3. Replaced SSDT RTC0 with SSDT AWAC (RTC0=Fix AsRock Z390 BIOS DSDT Device(RTC) bug)

Thank you for sharing. Actually too many changes and finally it's unclear what exactly helped you out as many of them are not related directly with each another. So it's impossible to tell what actually solved the issue on your case.

On Z390 Desginare the "Fix AsRock Z390 BIOS DSDT Device(RTC) bug" is useless as Clover boot log reports that pattern not found.

I've added a link to your previous post here.

I no longer use DarkWake or Enable Power Nap. DarkWake = 0 was originally suggested as a way to wake from sleep with a single keypress. However, it produced various side effects on various systems. As I commented earlier in this thread, I don't mind pressing 2 keys to wake from sleep.

Keep in mind that the build guide is not a dictatorial document that requires everyone to follow every procedure. Instead, Going the Extra Mile is full of optional extras. Not everyone wants DarkWake -- and it's not essential to proper, basic sleep/wake.

Thank you!

I'm investigating gDarkWakeFlags issue more deeply here now and everyone is welcome to help:

Actually darkWake=0 might give nothing because there is no any usage of setting gDarkWakeFlags=0 etc. Default value on 10.15.1 for gDarkWakeFlags is 0x00000003, which equals to kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleNone and in decimals equals to boot arg darkwake=3. Seems that darkwake=0 is kinda useless actually and if to check xnu source in more details then it affects darkWakePostTickle behaviour.

Last edited:
Back