Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I was looking for the switch to prevent DSDT from loading under Win10. I did not know it was removed. Can you guys show boot options while holding OPT button? Just like a real Mac.
For everyone who has trouble booting Windows under OpenCore with custom DSDT - you can use this customized OpenCore fork.
In this fork ACPI patches is now optional for non macOS with setting ACPI->Quirks->EnableForAll to yes (default is no).
Customized OpenCore with additional features

Happy New Year everyone!

Discovered an oddity: I can only get quick charging for phones (tried with iPhone X, iPhone 7 Plus and Nexus 6P) through the front USB 3.0 ports. With any of the back ports (haven't tried the USB-c/TB3 ports) they're limited to 500 mA. I'm using @hylkepylke's DSDT.aml and SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml in my ACPI folder (OC), with USBInjectAll.kext. Any idea what could be wrong?

You are possibly missing SSDT-EC.aml - read page 1 carefully

I just followed the Catalina Mini Guide, and now have a hackintosh running perfectly on its first try.

I have a few things to refine, like static coming up on my screen during a restart and a few static screen boots if i'm trying to access BIOS. My only other issue is inability to use the 630 IGPU from motherboard HDMI, but im sure that can be resolved / its not needed with my parts.

But apart from that, sound and everything is perfect.

Here is the list of parts working without any extra steps needed:

Gigabyte Designare Z390
Refine R6 USB C case
i9-9900S
64GB 3200MHz Corsair RAM (4x16)
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT 8GB
EVO Plus 1TB M.2 (i did a firmware update via this built in windows pre installing OSX.)
Western Digital 4TB Black HDD

Wifi card by WIFIOSX is coming in the mail this week. So I will test everything else then, but the 2 LAN ports work fine.

Last edited:
Is the power patch "pointing" only at the HS/SS ports on the front and missing the rear ports? Or is the patch supposed to be applying high power to every HS/SS port possible?

I haven't read enough about patching to know exactly where to look in the disassembled DSDT. Any pointers?

You are possibly missing SSDT-EC.aml - read page 1 carefully

I'm under the impression that @hylkepylke included the EC patch and everything else except TB3 in his DSDT (the EFI folder he shared for @totototo had only DSDT.aml and no SSDT files at all). I can try adding it separately and see if it makes a difference.

Could I take this opportunity of wishing you all a Hacking New Year ! :headbang:

@CaseySJ Perhaps we will see your take on the 24 core New Mac pro for 2020 ! :thumbup:
Happy 2020!! This is indeed the year we build a successor to the venerable and trustworthy Z390 Designare. But we'll wait until the technology we expect Intel to release is actually released. And let's hope Apple releases WiFi 6 support (for more than just Broadcom). The technology stack for the successor -- from today's vantage point -- looks like this:
  • One High-End Desktop (HEDT) model and perhaps one regular model (one build guide with options for 2 boards).
  • HEDT:
    • High core count (Intel 10nm CPUs or Intel 7nm CPUs if available)
    • High DIMM slot count
    • 10Gbit Ethernet
    • Thunderbolt 3 or USB4 on board
    • These boards are expected to have 2 DP-INs, allowing full 5K support
    • Minimum E-ATX board
    • Gobs and gobs of PCIe lanes
  • Non-HEDT:
    • 8+ core CPU (10nm or 7nm), preferably 10 or more
    • 4 DIMM slots
    • 2.5Gbit, 5Gbit, or 10Gbit Ethernet
    • Thunderbolt 3 or USB4 on board (if two DP-INs are provided; otherwise may need to use Add-in-Card)
    • Minimum ATX board
    • More PCIe lanes than Z390 chipset -- Intel has been choking us with too few cores and too few lanes
This is not a definitive list or a commitment.

Any other thoughts/suggestions for the successor?

Yes I would like to ask a question my apologies if its been asked before, on the Magic keyboards et al, there are function keys like screen brightness, audio volume, play and pause controls in iTunes, F4 brings up recently used apps, F3 tiles the desktop.

Could you confirm if these work, or would work with an appropriate keyboard, Monitor ?
On Mac-compatible keyboards, these keys do work. However, to enable F1/F2 for brightness control, please see the spoiler in Post #1 marked Enabling Brightness Control via F1 and F2 Keys. It's in the subsection Contributed Files and Tips. Two kernel patches are needed, but fortunately both of those patches are already in your config.plist if you followed the Catalina Mini-Guide. Just open config.plist with Clover Configurator and click on Kernel and Kext Patches. The bottom 2 entries in the list are currently disabled. Simply uncheck the Disable checkbox, save the file, reboot, and install Native Brightness Control as mentioned in the Post 1 spoiler.

Hello CaseySJ,

Sorry if I'm being a pain with this, I have had a read the two links regarding the Shiki patches and nowhere does it mention what the shikigva=32 is used for. shikigva=32 is what is preset if you follow the **Mini-guide for Direct Installation of Catalina 10.15.1 and Newer** The links for the Shiki patches mention the other boot arguments just not =32.

As I have a RX 5700 XT, should I perhaps be making mine =128 and changing my Mac in the SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1 as I briefly read somewhere in another post. Also will Shiki even work with the -wegoff argument in place? (-wegoff is in place to fix my random freeze issues)

I am having problems with the Apple TV app. When I begin to play an Apply TV+ series, it begins to show the video and then closes back to the main Apple TV menu. Just wondering if this might have something to do with Shiki?
The WhateverGreen source code contains a file called kern_shiki.hpp located here. Lines 60-66 explain shiki 32 as follows:
Code:
        // Replace board-id used by AppleGVA and AppleVPA by a different board-id.
        // Sometimes it is feasible to use different GPU acceleration settings from the main mac model.
        // By default Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61 (iMac14,2) will be used, but you can override this via shiki-id boot-arg.
        // See /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleGVA.framework/Resources/Info.plist for more details.
        ReplaceBoardID             = 32,

Also, please search this thread for recent posts by @CODYQX4, who has done some detailed comparisons of various shiki values and how they affect playback in Safari, Netflix, iTunes, Chrome, etc.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Happy new year !

I successfully have a full view of Thunderbolt under IOReg including IOThunderboltLocalNode and IOThunderboltPort :thumbup:

Capture d’écran 2020-01-01 à 12.45.06.png

Capture d’écran 2020-01-01 à 12.47.11.png

Capture d’écran 2020-01-01 à 12.52.21.png

Under BIOS, I don't have GPIO3ForcePwr, but I activate Thunderbolt controller under the SSDT-TBT with TBFP method.

Asus Maximus IX have only one Thunderbolt port, this is why there is one ThunderboltIPport

Capture d’écran 2020-01-01 à 13.59.49.png

Hi guys,

First of all, thank you @CaseySJ for the great guide. I followed the OpenCore beta guide for a fresh Catalina install and everything worked super smoothly, except for the fact that I can't get sleep to reliably work. I used all the aml files from the zip for port mapping, etc.

As soon as I try to put the system to sleep, it immediately wakes again and will then cycle between the two until I wake it up properly with a mouse click or key press. In the system log, the wake reason is "XHC" so I suspect it's some sort of USB issue. I've unplugged basically everything from all USB ports (including the Fenvi-919 connector, as well as the internal USB3.1 front panel connectors), to no avail.

Is there an additional step of USB port mapping I need to do? I used @hylkepylke 's DSDT file so I had assumed the ports were already correct.

I've disabled wake on LAN, power nap, all of the obvious things. Anything else I might be missing?

Thank you!
Hello @docfiru

Welcome to the forum! Did you actually perform the fresh installation with OpenCore instead of Clover? Here's a suggestion:
  • Because macOS is already installed, you can create a new USB boot disk with Clover by following the first part of the Catalina Mini-Guide (skip the steps related to copying macOS onto the flash disk -- just follow the Clover installation steps, replacing drivers/kexts/SSDTs, and modifying config.plist).
  • Then insert the USB flash disk into the Hackintosh, press F12 at boot and select the USB. Now Clover will start up. Boot macOS from the internal SSD and check sleep/wake behavior.

Casey what an incredible guide.. I just ordered this board to pair with my i7-8700K Coffee Lake CPU I’m currently running in an AORUS 370 Gaming 7. I’ve got it running at around 98%. I’m hoping to have 100% by following this road map :) really thorough and clean. Thank you.

My question for you is this, I currently have a TB3 Alpine Ridge card working do you know if I could add it to this new board with the Titan ridge? Or would they conflict? Would be nice to have 4 TB3 ports like my ’18 Mac Mini. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
As @jiffyslot mentioned, the GC-Alpine Ridge can certainly be used together with the on-board Titan Ridge. However, only Thunderbolt 3 monitors and USB-C devices (not Thunderbolt devices) are expected to connect. An occasional Thunderbolt device might connect, but it would be better to attach real Thunderbolt devices to the on-board controller instead.

Back