Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yes, once I login and it sits inactive for 6-10 mins is when it reboots. Login screen can sit there no issues.
It might be worth trying the following (with RX 5700 XT installed):
  • Add boot argument radpg=15 and reboot.
If this fails, remove the radpg boot argument and:
  • Disable WhateverGreen by adding the boot argument -wegoff
  • Restart and check again.

I found another thing,
I reinstalled Catalina 10.15.2(or 10.15.1) according to Mini-Guide,
After the installation is complete, as long as Clover RC Scripts is not installed, the black screen will not occur.
I don’t know why~~:crazy::crazy::crazy:
Hmm, not sure if the problem went away due to the clean install, or due to the RC scripts. You could test the following if you feel brave enough! :)
  • Make a full bootable backup. Disconnect backup disk and keep it aside.
  • Install RC scripts on main disk.
  • Reboot and check if black screen problem comes back.
  • If it comes back, you may boot from the backup disk and clone the backup disk back to the main disk to undo the changes.
Can I install another GC-TITAN RIDGE Thunderbolt 3 Card on the Gigabyte Z390 Designare?
I want to achieve true 5k.
Short answer is no because it seems that the Gigabyte firmware only permits one Titan Ridge controller to be active at a time. You can, however, install a GC-Alpine Ridge card. It will only work with Thunderbolt monitors and USB-C (not Thunderbolt 3) devices.

Last edited:
Rereading this, it looks as if sleep/wake itself is okay, but the system time does not update after wake. Is that correct?

If so, it looks to be something new, hence:
  • Do you have Location Services enabled in System Preferences --> Privacy and Security?
  • Is the system clock set to update itself from an online time server?
  • When the system wakes from sleep, do you have internet connectivity?
  • When the system wakes from sleep, is WiFi speed normal?

• Do you have Location Services enabled in System Preferences --> Privacy and Security? => not sure about this, because now I'm not with this computer, but I remember it is enabled
  • Is the system clock set to update itself from an online time server? => yes, I open the time setting, unlock, then click time sync server, then time automatically update to corrent time. the point is, I just unlock, and click the server selection, not change, not open the drop down, just click the server input box, then time will updated
  • When the system wakes from sleep, do you have internet connectivity? => yes
  • When the system wakes from sleep, is WiFi speed normal? => I don't have any wifi

everything works for me, except this time freeze problem.

Layout 16 applies AGC to the headphone output making it sound weird. Layout 27 correctly labels the headphone and internal speaker (green plug) and makes the headphone jack usable. I think layout 27 should be the default setting.

Thank you for suggestion!

Please note, that layout-id 27 brings an extra audio jack, which does not exist actually. I tested layout-id 11, which has proper jacks. But my audio quality issue is actually related to XMP profile. When no profile set, no crackles, once I set whichever profile, there are immediately cracks in audio, on macOS and on Linux both.

It might be worth trying the following (with RX 5700 XT installed):
  • Add boot argument radpg=15 and reboot.
If this fails, remove the radpg boot argument and:
  • Disable WhateverGreen by adding the boot argument -wegoff
  • Restart and check again.
I can boot properly with radpg but the issue is still here. With WEG off there is no issue but I cannot use the DP port anymore, only HDMI

A full list of Layout IDs for the ALC1220 can be found here:

Thank you @CaseySJ

Layout-id 27 is for Z370 HD3P, which has these audio spec:

2017091818080881_src.jpg

1. Realtek® ALC1220 codec
  2. High Definition Audio
  3. 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
  4. Support for S/PDIF Out

Audio jacks:

• Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out (Orange)
    Use this audio jack to connect center/subwoofer speakers in a 5.1/7.1-channel audio configuration.
  • Rear Speaker Out (Black)
    This jack can be used to connect rear speakers in a 4/5.1/7.1-channel audio configuration.
  • Side Speaker Out (Gray)
    Use this audio jack to connect side speakers in a 7.1-channel audio configuration.
  • Line In (Blue)
    The line in jack. Use this audio jack for line in devices such as an optical drive, walkman, etc.
  • Line Out (Green)
    The line out jack. This jack supports audio amplifying function. For better sound quality, it is recommended that you connect your headphone/speaker to this jack (actual effects may vary by the device being used). Use this audio jack for a headphone or 2-channel speaker. This jack can be used to connect front speakers in a 4/5.1/7.1-channel audio configuration.
  • Mic In (Pink)
    The Mic in jack.

Layout 16 is for Z390 motherboards in general. Z390 Designare audio spec:
2018102210501718_src.jpg

1. Realtek® ALC1220-VB codec
    * The back panel line out jack supports DSD (Direct Stream Digital) audio.
  2. High Definition Audio
  3. 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
  4. Support for S/PDIF Out
Audio jacks:
  • Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out (orange)
    Use this audio jack to connect center/subwoofer speakers.
  • Rear Speaker Out (black)
    Use this audio jack to connect rear speakers.
  • Optical S/PDIF Out Connector (grey)
    This connector provides digital audio out to an external audio system that supports digital optical audio. Before using this feature, ensure that your audio system provides an optical digital audio in connector.
  • Line In / Side Speaker Out * (blue)
    The line in jack. Use this audio jack for line in devices such as an optical drive, walkman, etc.
  • Line Out / Front Speaker Out * (green)
    The line out jack. This jack supports audio amplifying function. For better sound quality, it is recommended that you connect your headphone/speaker to this jack (actual effects may vary by the device being used).
  • Mic In / Side Speaker Out * (pink)
    The Mic in jack.
* If you want to install a Side Speaker, you need to retask either the Line in or Mic in jack to be Side Speaker out through the audio driver.

But on my case, for layout-id the headphone ja speakers jacks are reversed/swiched, so headphone plug is shown as speaker and speaker as headphone.

So, there is a difference between Z370 HD3P and Z390 Designare audio. Both have Smart Headphone Amp, which automatically detects impedance of headphones. But Z390 Designare has more complicated layout as it supports changing the function for 3 audio jacks. I suppose that on Hacks, the layout-id determines how these 3 ports are working.

I'm going to test various layout-id's to figure out which kind behaviour these cause.

Testing results for lyout-id 27:

With this layout id I have an extra dummy audio output, which does not send any signal to audio jacks. Also mic on front panel is shown as line in, when mic is inserted but no signal received. Mic and line in on back panel are working.

Layout id 27 does not suite properly for Designare.

Testing results for lyout-id 29:

According to AppleALC ALC1220 plist, layout id 29 is for Z390 Aorus Ultra (Output SP/HP SwitchMode), which uses the same codec that Designare. Also Z390 Aorus Ultra has the same jacks on back-panel that Designare.

Proper amount of jacks is listed on Sound settings on System Preferences. The only issue is, that line-in is not working.

Testing results for lyout-id 16:

Front panel output and back panel green output are switched. No audio signal on line-in jack.

Testing results for lyout-id 11:

Seems that the most appropriate layout-id for Z390 Designare.

11 0B000000 CwAAAA== Custom Realtek ALC1220 by truesoldier

z390-designare-audio-layout-id-11-jpg.442370

Please check this post for full list of ALC1220 audio layout-id's:

Line in / Mic In audio distortion.

Whatever layout-id I'm using, I have audio in / mic in sound distortion. No sure yet what causes it.
Update: After reseting BIO settings (Load Optimized Defaults) and reconfiguring BIOS, crappy recording issue was gone.

Last edited:
I can boot properly with radpg but the issue is still here. With WEG off there is no issue but I cannot use the DP port anymore, only HDMI
Perhaps a future update of WhateverGreen will fix this. Have you tried downloading and building the latest WEG?

Hello - I am stuck with a stupid problem it seems. I boot into the installer all good and goto disk utility to format the brand new NVME drive (Kingston) and no matter which format and scheme I choose it instantly freezes at Creating Partition Map.

I did test the drive in Windows and formatted exfat there and it worked fine.

Lastly I tried from Terminal in the installer to partition/erase the disk and it freezes same way the progress bar for Creating Partition Map instantly jumps to 50%.

As an FYI I am using mini guide and starting fresh with Catalina.

Help :( :(

Back