Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

Good news all my hackintosh friends!
I think.... I am up and running! Lol.

So after long trial and error.
I attempted to rebuild the mini guide steps and was not able to get any success. Kept getting CPU halt. As to why I’m still not sure.

I even went as far as replacing my CPU.

That being said I went back to the drawing board and rebuilt the USB installer I had originally used with a different config file I had however this time, I kept that original config file given. But I replaced all internal clover items with mini guide files
-patched
- kexts
-drivers

For this config and efi it requires F6 bios so I updated to a specific F6 bios file, and used the presets instructed for this specific config. Only modification I made was I noticed some differences between CaseySJ bios setting one being VT-d enabled inside of the preset file I had so I disabled item and left everything alone.

That was able to get me all installed and up and running. Everything seems to be working.

I purchased CCC 5, it is currently running to create clone of successful SSD.

@CaseySJ mind if I send you the EFI to take a look see if everything checks out? Or any instruction on some tests to make sure everything is running properly?

Completed CCC and tested that it works and is bootable.

What else should I do post installation? Is there any kexts to move into the system or leave all in EFI folder in root EFI?

Last edited:
From the FWIW department:

A few days ago, someone posted that he/she was able to boot with no memory drivers in /drivers/UEFI.

Just for fun I decided to remove the aptio--free2000 driver. Sure enough, it booted.

Oddly, though, the only thing that showed on the verbose boot was the line of + symbols. When I tried it, I was ready to bail out, but then noticed that the drive activity light was flashing. After about 20 seconds, I arrived at the desktop.

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, not the WiFi version. It's running iMac Pro 1,1, and this works both with iGPU enabled (Frankenmac) and disabled. Graphics: PowerColor RX590. I have the Fenvi T919 installed along with a Firewire PCI-e card.

ken

Long term sleep works reliably? That’s good news! Others are encouraged to check this as well so we can get more data points. Just let the system sleep overnight if you can...
It's been 3-night streak so far. I also like ability to play DRM-protected content. So far I tested the Apple's FairPlay and Amazon's Prime Video that would not play on my clover setup without any shikigva settings.
What tool did you use to edit the DSDT? I have troubles doing edits and recompiling it. Is it Rehabman's? Did you save good .dsl by chance?

Anyone having issues with upgrading to 10.15.2 from 10.15.1? I've tried from System Preferences and get to a screen with an Apple logo and progress bar but eventually that crashes. Have never seen a boot option in Clover.

That being said, I can hard reset the machine and boot into 10.15.1 without any issues.

A few days ago, someone posted that he/she was able to boot with no memory drivers in /drivers/UEFI.

Just for fun I decided to remove the aptio--free2000 driver. Sure enough, it booted.

Oddly, though, the only thing that showed on the verbose boot was the line of + symbols. When I tried it, I was ready to bail out, but then noticed that the drive activity light was flashing. After about 20 seconds, I arrived at the desktop.

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, not the WiFi version. It's running iMac Pro 1,1, and this works both with iGPU enabled (Frankenmac) and disabled. Graphics: PowerColor RX590. I have the Fenvi T919 installed along with a Firewire PCI-e card.

ken

With OpenCore or Clover?

Didn't it also say that booting that way can be expected to mess up NVRAM and some other things?

The EFI was originally configured for use with the standard DSDT. After the modified version was posted by @hylkepylke all of those SSDTs became unnecessary except for Thunderbolt. (By the way I’m not sure if Thunderbolt hot plug works. It needs to be tested.)

ACPI name changes are happening inside the modified DSDT. The new DSDT does not actually rename the devices. Instead, it names the ACPI devices correctly from the beginning, hence no renaming needed.

The modified DSDT does not need any further modification — unless a different USB port configuration is needed. It’s just plug and play.

This DSDT is for macOS and may not work under Windows or Linux.

I don't know if it works everywhere but you can add in the OSI method to check for Darwin or not and do things conditionally.

An example is if you use OC and UIAC and EC, you get unknown devices in Windows from these injections. I modded these SSDTs such that they will disable the device in Windows. It still seems to work in Clover.

ken
Thanks for testing that odd, but intriguing setup! The behavior you observed is expected because the memory driver also plays a role in graphics output during boot.

However, booting without a memory fix driver is not recommended for the long term.

@CaseySJ mind if I send you the EFI to take a look see if everything checks out? Or any instruction on some tests to make sure everything is running properly?
Feel free to post it, but remove serial numbers from SMBIOS. Not sure why the config in Catalina Mini-Guide did not work so maybe there’s something significantly different in your EFI.

Back