Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

No luck this time I will try to get a screenshot of the error message. I was wondering if the ibuypower build led's somehow interfere with the system? Are they connected to the motherboard and could that affect anything?

Catalina on the desktop says 15.2.02 which is the only copy I have. It's the newest version of clover. I assume when you format the drive the parent drive should be selected (that is cursor highlighted)? (which in my case says Samsung 2tb drive ) ok it says service exited via SIGKILL Thanks

Last edited:
First off I wanna thank you for all the time and work you are still investing to help the community! (and specially this magnificent guide!, which made my second hackintosh-approach sucessful)

I guess will do a seperate documentation of my build once its completely up and running..

Since my Hack is going to be an audio workstation I'd like it to work headless (have a natively recognized Sapphire Vega RX 56).
I followed your guide meticulously and almost all results correspond to the ones screenshotted in the guide - however now I'm hesitating in the "extra mile", cause I don't want to break something that maybe doesn't need fixing:

Step 4:
Select the existing config.plist in the EFI/CLOVER folder. Don't worry, Hackintool will backup the existing file and insert the patch in a non-destructive manner.

In my case, after mounting the EFI partition I can only replace the config.plist (its greyed out) - I already searched the forum but only found one very old post about that particular topic. Should I replace? or is there another problem present that I need to adress first?

Thank you very much in advance!

Hi! Like most people here, I first wanted to say a quick thank you to @CaseySJ for all your hard work (and everyone else involved too!). Using this guide I was able to build my first Hackintosh on Mojave using the iGPU. I used this for school this past semester and it was a lifesaver!

Hopefully you are able to help me!

This week I started moving to Catalina on the Z390 and also purchased a GPU (MSI 5700 XT Gaming X card) since I wanted to dual boot and do some gaming. I did a fresh/clean install on a Evo 960 SSD using your Catalina mini-guide. My monitor is plugged into the DP on the 5700 XT. My Mojave build is using a 970 and Mojave still works, but I am physically removing the GPU before booting it just to be on the safe side.

From the sounds of it, I am in the same boat as @tdcam. First stage of Installation is Successful:
1) Created Catalina Install USB Successfully
2) Inserted USB, pressed F12 and Booted Install Catalina Succesfully
3) Using Catalina USB I was able to format the Evo 960 Successfully
4) Using Catalina USB I was able to Install Catalina to the 960 Successfully.
5) Reboot
6) Press F12 and select USB as Startup disk. From Within Clover Selected the 960 "Boot Install from Catalina"
7) Some Verbose Text... Then Apple Logo with Progress bar. Progress Bar completes, and there is mouse on screen with grey background.
8) Crash. Unable to proceed.

I've attached a video of the error. Google Drive Catalina Panic. It was recorded via my cellphone. Sorry for my shaky hands. If there is a better way to download the logs let me know and I'd be happy to try. Looks like the first error is "com.apple.ViewBridgeAuxillary service only ran for 8 seconds. Pushing respawn" then 2nd error: "Kext loading now Disabled".

I find it weird that the USB boots fine but not the 960. I tried "cheating" and putting the EFI files from the USB onto the 960 EFI partition but no luck - there is some type of memory errors which is above my pay grade lol. Maybe this could be a workaround if I install the correct post-install files to the EFI? I just was unsure about trying this.

Thanks for any/all assistance!

EDIT: I remembered I had an RX 560 lying around from a Mac Pro 5,1. I removed the 5700 and installed the 560. Success! I was able to proceed past 8) from above - that is to say, there was no crash. I will finish the install, add post-install files as per the Catalina mini-Guide, then reinstall the 5700 XT and report back. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Hi! Like most people here, I first wanted to say a quick thank you to @CaseySJ for all your hard work (and everyone else involved too!). Using this guide I was able to build my first Hackintosh on Mojave using the iGPU. I used this for school this past semester and it was a lifesaver!

Hopefully you are able to help me!

This week I started moving to Catalina on the Z390 and also purchased a GPU (MSI 5700 XT Gaming X card) since I wanted to dual boot and do some gaming. I did a fresh/clean install on a Evo 960 SSD using your Catalina mini-guide. My monitor is plugged into the DP on the 5700 XT. My Mojave build is using a 970 and Mojave still works, but I am physically removing the GPU before booting it just to be on the safe side.

From the sounds of it, I am in the same boat as @tdcam. First stage of Installation is Successful:
1) Created Catalina Install USB Successfully
2) Inserted USB, pressed F12 and Booted Install Catalina Succesfully
3) Using Catalina USB I was able to format the Evo 960 Successfully
4) Using Catalina USB I was able to Install Catalina to the 960 Successfully.
5) Reboot
6) Press F12 and select USB as Startup disk. From Within Clover Selected the 960 "Boot Install from Catalina"
7) Some Verbose Text... Then Apple Logo with Progress bar. Progress Bar completes, and there is mouse on screen with grey background.
8) Crash. Unable to proceed.

I've attached a video of the error. Google Drive Catalina Panic. It was recorded via my cellphone. Sorry for my shaky hands. If there is a better way to download the logs let me know and I'd be happy to try. Looks like the first error is "com.apple.ViewBridgeAuxillary service only ran for 8 seconds. Pushing respawn" then 2nd error: "Kext loading now Disabled".

I find it weird that the USB boots fine but not the 960. I tried "cheating" and putting the EFI files from the USB onto the 960 EFI partition but no luck - there is some type of memory errors which is above my pay grade lol. Maybe this could be a workaround if I install the correct post-install files to the EFI? I just was unsure about trying this.

Thanks for any/all assistance!

Perhaps it's the graphics card? We have the same one (msi 5700 xt)

@bradwixard,
Welcome to the forum and good thinking about switching to the RX 560 for installation! Do let us know how it goes, particularly after reinstalling the MSI GPU.

@tdcam,
It's reasonable to suspect the MSI RX 5700 XT, so I've modified the Catalina Mini-Guide as follows:

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 9.48.55 AM_resize.png

The previous version of the guide asks RX 5700 owners to remove those cards and switch to IGPU for installation.

In my case, after mounting the EFI partition I can only replace the config.plist (its greyed out) - I already searched the forum but only found one very old post about that particular topic. Should I replace? or is there another problem present that I need to adress first?

Thank you very much in advance!
Hello @Pollodivienna

Glad to hear the build succeeded!

Although config.plist is grayed out, we should still click on it. When we do, we'll see the Save As field updated with that name.

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 9.54.50 AM_resize.png

Thanks I will try a different card. Also I have in intel nvme for windows in the first slot (closest to the cpu). Any idea if this nvme will interfere with a dual boot system? I built a dual boot system before but made it all Samsung. Thanks!

@bradwixard,
Welcome to the forum and good thinking about switching to the RX 560 for installation! Do let us know how it goes, particularly after reinstalling the MSI GPU.

@tdcam,
It's reasonable to suspect the MSI RX 5700 XT, so I've modified the Catalina Mini-Guide as follows:

View attachment 441494

The previous version of the guide asks RX 5700 owners to remove those cards and switch to IGPU for installation.

Thanks I will try a different card. Also I have in intel nvme for windows in the first slot (closest to the cpu). Any idea if this nvme will interfere with a dual boot system? I built a dual boot system before but made it all Samsung. Thanks!
The Intel NVMe with Windows should not interfere.

With modern hardware likes this, you should never have a boot time that exceeds a full minute. I would check the boot logs. You can easily find them within Hackintool on the last tab and look into both Boot and System (click Refresh at the bottom on System tab).

Just look for where things are taking a long time. If you need to pass the file along to someone you can use this within the terminal.

Code:
log show --debug --last boot --predicate 'process == "kernel"' > ~/Desktop/boot.log

EDIT: Did a bit of googling for you and if you're programmatically inclined you can automate the process. But you'll have to be comfortable with modifying the sample code which you can find here or maybe here and I'm sure there are others in languages like python, etc.

I'm looking through the boot.log and not seeing any obvious culprits. If I only get kernel messages, it seems like there's a 40 second gap between kernel processing but in the one without the predicate looks like it's a bunch of application work.

I checked my "Login Items" and don't see anything obvious slowing things down, I did have some apps open like Chrome and Epic Game Store that may have taken some time to boot (but not 40 s?)

Any ideas on how to parse this file for culprits? I did see lots of Safari bugs.

Attachments

• boot-anon.log.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 88
I followed the newest experimental guide, and after @CaseySJ helped me figure out the memory issue, haven't had any problems. Except one. if I leave my computer for more than 10 minutes it freezes. It will go to and wake from sleep (provided I am in the 10 minute window). Screensaver will turn on/off appropriately. But if I haven't done anything myself, the computer freezes at 10 minutes. I am not sure what to even look at, to get to where my problems might be coming from. I reverted to my bootable backup and didn't see the issue at first, but then after restarting into it a couple times the issue returns.

System Specifications:
Motherboard:
Z390 DESIGNARE [F8 BIOS]
CPU:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 2666 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
SSD: M.2 SAMSUNG 970 EVO 500GB
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
OS: (Dual Boot - Windows 10 / OSX Catalina 10.15.2) [iMacPro1,1]
Screens: 3 x LG Ultrawide 28.5-inch (2560 x 1080) Connected via DP to HDMI to the rx 5700 xt
IMG_3995.jpeg

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    7.7 MB · Views: 102
Back