Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Any pointers?

Both.png

One or the other but not both.

USB ports are defined by SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml that is copied in to CLOVER/ACPI/patched. If you copied this file to your Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming system, it will not define the correct ports. The USB SSDT would have to be customized for the actual ports that exist on your board. Fortunately there are two easy-to-follow guides for doing this:
The procedure is quite simple even if it takes many paragraphs to explain... If you get stuck, follow a subset of the above procedure that explains how to list all the USB 2, USB 3, and USB Type C ports. If you can create that list, I can modify the USB SSDT very quickly.

@CaseySJ In the New Beginner's Guide they create a custom .kext file instead of a SSDT. Do you know what the differences are, and which one would be favorable? As you know I have embedded your V7 SSDT into my DSDT, should I remove that code and boot with a separate .kext?

I just wanted to give a huge thanks to @CaseySJ and everybody else involved for putting this work in and continuing to help others troubleshoot. I built my first hackintosh (and first PC build ever) using this guide, and everything has been working flawlessly with AptioMemoryFix. Been stable for almost a month now on Mojave with no significant issues.
Don't think I ever would have gotten into the hackintosh world without this guide specifically stating that UAD thunderbolt devices were tested. The EFI script for CCC's bootable backup is also incredibly useful to me. Thanks Casey, your work here is greatly appreciated. Let me know if you ever need another person/machine to test something.

Is anyone experiencing slow boot times with this build? I can boot into Windows in about 10 seconds but it takes 1:15 to boot into Mac (counting from the time I click the Volume in Clover until I see the login screen).
Still occurring is there anything I can run to repair or anything after removal?

Shutdown
Flipped power switch
Pulled power cable
Removed the 2 sticks
Replaced power cable
Flipped switch
Booted

Still crashing

Would it be an immediate fix if it was to work?
All I can suggest now is:
  • Double check that all PCI, SATA, and Power cables are connected properly and all memory modules are seated properly.
  • Disconnect Corsair power supply from internal USB port.
  • Try a different power supply. Voltage fluctuations and bad cables can be ruled out with a new power supply.
  • Memory and CPU may be okay because installation did succeed. However, I'm concerned by the crash logs that reported ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION and Segmentation Fault (attempted to access memory outside the range of the process).
  • It would be strongly advisable to install Windows and let it run for a day or two. Forget macOS for now.

Thanks attached
  • Because iMacPro1,1 has no iGPU, it's advisable to remove iGPU frame buffer properties from Devices --> Properties. This has been done in the attached config.plist.
  • Clover v5098 or newer (v5100 is available) should be installed on the USB flash disk.
  • What is the BIOS version?
  • Catalina 10.15.2 is recommended.
  • When the installer first boots up, we must run Disk Utility to format the destination drive as APFS and Scheme = GUID Partition Map. The "Scheme" option is only made available when we click the parent name of the SSD from the list of drives on the left side of Disk Utility.
  • The actual error has scrolled off in the screenshot from your earlier post. That screenshot only shows the "closing arguments" where macOS is terminating all processes and preparing for shutdown or reboot. The error itself is probably one or two pages prior to that.

Attachments

• config-tdcam.plist
    8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Is anyone experiencing slow boot times with this build? I can boot into Windows in about 10 seconds but it takes 1:15 to boot into Mac (counting from the time I click the Volume in Clover until I see the login screen).
Some quick suggestions:
  • Shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds. Then flip back on, boot, and see whether there's any improvement.
  • In Clover Configurator, open config.plist from EFI partition of macOS SSD and check whether debug is checked in Boot section. Uncheck this.
    Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 3.49.28 AM.png
  • At the Clover Boot Menu, press spacebar to reveal a set of options. First one in the list will be a toggle switch for Verbose. Use down-arrow key to highlight that option and press Space to toggle it on. Then boot macOS and see where the hiccup might be. It may be good to capture a video of the process with your smartphone.

I tried to install with the new config file and the updated firmware for the ssd. Now, I am facing some kernel panics and still not able to proceed to installing Mojave. I've attached the screenshot of the page im stuck at. Any pointers?
The screenshot shows that both FakeSMC.kext and VirtualSMC.kext are present in CLOVER/kexts/Other. They are mutually exclusive; one or the other should be used, but not both.
  • If using FakeSMC, include SMCHelper.efi in the CLOVER drivers folder, but remove VirtualSmc.efi.
  • If using VirtualSMC, delete SMCHelper.efi but keep VirtualSmc.efi.

@CaseySJ In the New Beginner's Guide they create a custom .kext file instead of a SSDT. Do you know what the differences are, and which one would be favorable? As you know I have embedded your V7 SSDT into my DSDT, should I remove that code and boot with a separate .kext?
Both methods achieve the same goal. My personal preference is the SSDT/DSDT method, which is closer to an actual Mac.

I just wanted to give a huge thanks to @CaseySJ and everybody else involved for putting this work in and continuing to help others troubleshoot. I built my first hackintosh (and first PC build ever) using this guide, and everything has been working flawlessly with AptioMemoryFix. Been stable for almost a month now on Mojave with no significant issues.
Don't think I ever would have gotten into the hackintosh world without this guide specifically stating that UAD thunderbolt devices were tested. The EFI script for CCC's bootable backup is also incredibly useful to me. Thanks Casey, your work here is greatly appreciated. Let me know if you ever need another person/machine to test something.
Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum! We might enlist your help in future experiments...

• Because iMacPro1,1 has no iGPU, it's advisable to remove iGPU frame buffer properties from Devices --> Properties. This has been done in the attached config.plist.
  • Clover v5098 or newer (v5100 is available) should be installed on the USB flash disk.
  • What is the BIOS version?
  • Catalina 10.15.2 is recommended.
  • When the installer first boots up, we must run Disk Utility to format the destination drive as APFS and Scheme = GUID Partition Map. The "Scheme" option is only made available when we click the parent name of the SSD from the list of drives on the left side of Disk Utility.
  • The actual error has scrolled off in the screenshot from your earlier post. That screenshot only shows the "closing arguments" where macOS is terminating all processes and preparing for shutdown or reboot. The error itself is probably one or two pages prior to that.
Thanks I am on F8. Trying this now. I had the same shutdown on iMac 19,1

Back