Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

We can use VideoProc to confirm hardware encoding/decoding for H.264 and HEVC (H.265).

P.S. Please remove the Catalina Mini-Guide from your post. We'd like to ensure that only one copy of a guide is posted.
Excellent, thanks, video proc confirms all good. As so many have said your help and time is greatly appreciated. On the Catalina side, the mini guide is simple and clean, personally preferred over the nuances that formed with Mojave..

1576813668641.png

Hi @CaseySJ,

(Sorry, my English is poor. The following is Google Translate. I hope you can understand it.)

I encountered a problem when the BIOS->IGPU->Enabled booted When loading the system to the 4/3 progress, the display will flash. Sometimes can enter Catalina, sometimes it will enter a black screen.

This happens only after the computer is turned off and then on, Sometimes enter a black screen sometimes not, This problem is not only on CATALINA, but also on Mojave, I don’t understand why this happens.

I tried to solve the black screen problem and found 2 cases;

①: check -v Boot Arguments flag can enter Catalina

②: When ① cannot be resolved, BIOS->IGPU->Disabled can enter Catalina. After restarting BIOS:Enabled IGPU again i can still enter Catalina.

I think this problem is caused by LG UltaFine 5K?

Here's my spec:

Intel Core i9-9900K
GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE
AREZ-STRIX-RXVEGA64-O8G-GAMING
Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB
Corsair LPX 16Gx2 3200 ddr4 * 2
LG UltaFine 5K(2019)
The settings in this file are okay.
  • In BIOS, please look for Initial Display Output. Is it set to PCIe 1 Slot or IGFX?
  • Is the Vega 64 connected to DP-In on the rear IO panel? See GREEN box.
  • Is the LG 5K connected to the first Thunderbolt port? See YELLOW box.
View attachment 441290

• Initial Display Output->PCIe 1 Slot
  • yes
  • yes
Other settings: # 1 BIOS F8 and Mini-Guide

Last edited:
I haven't received my Z390 Designare board yet, but I was wondering if you were able to get your Vega 64 into slot 1.
I have the Noctua NH-D15 cooler, which blocks the first (x16) PCI-3 slot, so my Vega 64 is in the second PCI-E slot, and runs at only PCI-E x8, but I haven't seen any differences in GB scores compared to other Vega 64s

1. Does Thunderbolt hot-plug work? I'm not sure, how can I check? I only have a Samsung T5, that's my only USB-C device I own. I can connect to both the two TB ports at the back and my Define R6 USB-C port at the front. It says "No drivers are loaded" in System Information --> Thunderbolt, also no mention of Titan Ridge in System Information --> PCI. I can boot with your TB4.aml SSDT and that causes two Titan Ridge Does devices to appear in SI --> PCI, but USB-C already works without that SSDT (as tested with the Samsung T5). Does that answer the question?
  2. The following USB ports are defined at PCI0.XHC.RHUB (HS01 through HS09, SS01 through SS06, This is a total of 15 ports) I'm not sure what the consequences of this is. I've created a new DSDT where I have included your UIAC-V7 file, so that I only have to boot with one single DSDT file. So far, all USB ports work, both on the front and at the back.
  3. But then there's a conditional statement if ((PCHS == PCHH)) that defines an additional set of ports under the same PCI0.XHC.RHUB (HS11 through HS14, SS07 through SS10, This is an additional 8 ports, Because HS14 is enabled (Intel CNVi Bluetooth), does your Broadcom Bluetooth work? Can you turn Bluetooth off and on? Can you pair devices?) I have copied the NO-CNVI code into my new DSDT (see attached totototo.zip) so no bluetooth. I've seen these entries als, but I wasn't sure if I should delete these entries?
  4. Do all of these ports appear in IORegistryExplorer under XHC? I've attached my IOReg, does that answer your question?

Attachments

• totototo.zip
    2 MB · Views: 96
  • ioreg_imacpro.ioreg
    3 MB · Views: 81
@CaseySJ
the process described in the mini guide for CCC. Can I run it to the NVMe if I install it in the computer? Or must I use a enclosure mentioned?

I think I answered my own question...reading fully...apologies. I'm just hype right now that its all working. lol
You can certainly clone the SSD to NVMe with the NVMe installed inside the M.2 slot.
So little problem @CaseySJ before i start diving into making a backup... doesnt look like many of my apps are working.. safari wont open along with a lot of other items. they just crash when I click on the item
Do you see a crash log window with an option to show details?

Excellent, thanks, video proc confirms all good. As so many have said your help and time is greatly appreciated. On the Catalina side, the mini guide is simple and clean, personally preferred over the nuances that formed with Mojave..

View attachment 441323
Looks good! VideoProc screenshot shows that you're running the initial release of Catalina (10.15.0). If you update to 10.15.2, please remember to back up the boot disk ahead of time.

@hylkepylke I am using your new DSDT and everything seems to work without a need for single SSDT. I dislike like the fact that we don't fully understand the process that makes it work but I hope we'll figure it out so this will be future proof.

I am booting now directly into my Catalina partition but I can't hold an OPT key to show the picker. Can you do it? To boot to Win10 I need to go through BIOS' F12 selection. If I enable picker and try to boot to Win10 it will panic. This is not a big deal, just an observation.

Back