Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@totototo see attached zip (serial, MLB and UUID redacted)
@trouble74 sleep works great other improvements include:
  • faster booting
  • native nvram working on Z390 (if you use DSDT)
  • Netflix (but this is because OC forced me to disable iGPU and I switched to SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 with AMD GPU, see here)
  • future proof, as AFAIK everyone believes OC will supersede Clover as the go-to Hackintosh boot loader (this was my most important drive)
  • more native feel (ie if you hold OPT during boot you can choose a different booting partition, just like a real Mac would)
Thanks! Will check it out tonight.

I'm back with my wake problems. The RTC script @CaseySJ provided worked for a while, but now I'm back to system waking up all the time during the night and giving "Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)" in the logs. I haven't installed any new hardware, software, nor have updated to 10.15.2. Should I try to install all the RC scripts (that I didn't in the original Mini-Guide) or am I beating a dead horse and my system, won't have good sleep ever?

My apologies if I should be posting this somewhere else. I've followed the mini-guide. Everything was running well. But when I installed Windows I could no longer access my Catalina drive or clone of that drive. I ended up having to redo the whole mini-guide. Now everything is back up and running, but the disk I originally installed windows on is not visible in disk utility and not even recognized in bios. I do see in Clover "Boot Windows from Legacy HD2" as one of the boot options, but when I click on that it goes to a black screen and nothing else happens. Do I need to reinstall Windows? Weird that disk utility can't even see the drive. If I do need to reinstall Windows how do I prevent the same thing happening again where none of my Catalina drives are available after installing Windows?

<config.plist>
The settings in this file are okay.
  • In BIOS, please look for Initial Display Output. Is it set to PCIe 1 Slot or IGFX?
  • Is the Vega 64 connected to DP-In on the rear IO panel? See GREEN box.
  • Is the LG 5K connected to the first Thunderbolt port? See YELLOW box.
2018102210501718_src.png

Last edited:
Hello !
I’m surprised to have a very very low sound level, even with all sliders pushed to max. The sound played is almost saturated, over-mastered, and I can hardly hear it in my headphones... is there something particular to do to have a normal sound level ??
I have perfectly normal sound levels, but I use only these connections:
  • Rear IO panel --> green headphone jack
  • Rear IO panel --> optical digital output
Both of these provide very good sound quality and sound volume.

Are you using the audio jack on the front of your computer's case? That audio jack does not seem to work well for most people.

@CaseySJ Thank you for starting this thread and writing the guid. Ive been able to set up a working 10.15.1 system following your steps.

However, Ive run into some trouble backing up with CCC. Using a 1TB NVMe as startup and an internal SATA SSD, I followed the guide to create a bootable backup of my fresh install and then verified it by booting from the backup drive successfully. Afterwards, I continued setting up my system by transferring apps and data from my old iMac. Later, I ran the CCC clone task again and it appeared to copy the new files then delete all of the files on the backup drive AND the source drive. At the end CCC showed task complete but neither drive was bootable. EFI partitions didnt seem to be affected. Has anyone seen this before?

My apologies if I should be posting this somewhere else. I've followed the mini-guide. Everything was running well. But when I installed Windows I could no longer access my Catalina drive or clone of that drive. I ended up having to redo the whole mini-guide. Now everything is back up and running, but the disk I originally installed windows on is not visible in disk utility and not even recognized in bios. I do see in Clover "Boot Windows from Legacy HD2" as one of the boot options, but when I click on that it goes to a black screen and nothing else happens. Do I need to reinstall Windows? Weird that disk utility can't even see the drive. If I do need to reinstall Windows how do I prevent the same thing happening again where none of my Catalina drives are available after installing Windows?
This sounds like the M2M vs M2P dilemma. If the Windows disk is installed in the lower M2P slot, it will install its bootloader into the upper M2M drive. If that happens to be your macOS drive, then Gigabyte's firmware will prioritize the Windows bootloader over anything else in the EFI Partition.

Windows does not delete or modify the CLOVER folder, so the configuration is still there. Gigabyte's firmware, however, just shows you the Windows bootloader -- which is an annoyance.

If you can boot via a USB install disk and login to macOS, you can mount the EFI Partition and locate the EFI/Windows folder. If your Windows drive also has an EFI Partition, you can move that folder over to that disk.

More details here (post #1):

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 11.15.17 AM.png

@CaseySJ Thank you for starting this thread and writing the guid. Ive been able to set up a working 10.15.1 system following your steps.

However, Ive run into some trouble backing up with CCC. Using a 1TB NVMe as startup and an internal SATA SSD, I followed the guide to create a bootable backup of my fresh install and then verified it by booting from the backup drive successfully. Afterwards, I continued setting up my system by transferring apps and data from my old iMac. Later, I ran the CCC clone task again and it appeared to copy the new files then delete all of the files on the backup drive AND the source drive. At the end CCC showed task complete but neither drive was bootable. EFI partitions didnt seem to be affected. Has anyone seen this before?
Very sorry to hear about this. The EFIClone script has been doctored to only copy the currently-booted system disk to the selected DESTINATION disk.

This means, for example, that if you have 3 disks in the system:
  • CURRENT-BOOTED-DISK
  • BACKUP-DISK
  • THIRD-DISK
And if you select SOURCE = THIRD-DISK, the EFIClone script will still Mount EFI Partition of CURRENT-BOOTED-DISK and copy that to the selected Destination Disk.

However, if you simply updated the CURRENT-BOOTED-DISK by transferring apps and data from an older iMac, and then tried to rerun the CCC task from SOURCE=CURRENT-BOOTED-DISK, then the script should have worked normally.

In any case, if it's still possible to do this, please open Finder and press Shift-CMD-G to open the Go to Folder dialog. Type /System/Volumes/Data/Users/Shared and see if there's a file there called EFIClone.log. If so, please compress and upload.

Back