Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@faithie999 Yes that is from the Catalina Installation EFI, I had not updated clover since v2.4k r4769. I followed your advice and downloaded and installed "Clover UEFI Boot Mode v2.4k r4961" from the download menu here. However the file structure did not match your description (see screenshot) and it seems several files were overwritten, I was not able to get into macos on any boot drive as I got the "Couldn't allocate runtime area". View attachment 440908

@CaseySJ I am thinking maybe my best bet is to start over again, by cloning back my backup drive via CCC to my main drive. Can you recommend a guide to take me from Mojave 10.14.5 to Catalina macOS 10.15.2 ? I saw this post from you, but it doesn't mention Clover (and perhaps other things I might have missed?) : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-834#post-2013418
you mentioned that you installed clover v 4961. I'm not sure it is new enough for Catalina's liking. perhaps the link you chose hasn't been updated in a while to link to the latest version of clover. google "download clover boot loader" and you'll find a site that will have the latest version. download, update your Catalina drive and your usb drive.

the "can't allocate runtime area error" usually means there is a missing memory driver in your drivers folder (which in the latest version of clover, that you will install, is /clover/drivers/UEFI). somewhere on the first page of this thread is a link to download OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi. download that file and place in the drivers/UEFI folder along with the other drivers that you will move from your existing drivers64UEFI folder. but make sure you only have one memory driver in your drivers/UEFI folder. if you have any other memory drivers in your drivers64UEFI folder, don't transfer them.

finally, Casey mentions on page 1 that you need to have
slide=0
as one of your boot arguments, to go along with the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi memory driver.

after you update clover to latest version and populate your /drivers/UEFI folder, and still no luck, let us know the symptoms and post a screen shot of your drivers folder.

Last edited:
Hi there. I've been going through this thread a lot lately and I have a couple questions:
Regarding the built-in Thunderbolt on this mobo, does one still have to awaken it via Windows?
Are the latest successes (overcoming the lack of NVRAM) from BIOS F8? Or was it a matter of CFG-unlocking or simply moving on to OpenCore from Clover?

Please and thank you. Search/browse results are getting so dense that it's probably making me dense as well. I have i9 9900KS on the way from SL.

I was wondering if you could help me understand part of the config.plist you provide:

XML:
  <key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
                <string>Built In</string>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <string>Audio Controller</string>
                <key>layout-id</key>
                <data>
                EAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Realtek ALC1220-VB</string>
            </dict>

How does this translate to layout 16? I'd like to try using layout 28, and perhaps others if that's not what I'm looking for, but I can't figure out what value I would use.

Thanks!

Hi there. I've been going through this thread a lot lately and I have a couple questions:
Regarding the built-in Thunderbolt on this mobo, does one still have to awaken it via Windows?
Are the latest successes (overcoming the lack of NVRAM) from BIOS F8? Or was it a matter of CFG-unlocking or simply moving on to OpenCore from Clover?

Please and thank you. Search/browse results are getting so dense that it's probably making me dense as well. I have i9 9900KS on the way from SL.
Good questions:
  • Thunderbolt on this motherboard does not need Windows at all. It is fully activated along with hot-plug capability through macOS alone.
  • BIOS F8 is recommended for your upcoming i9-9900KS.
  • Overcoming lack of native NVRAM support requires a heavily modified DSDT that is dependent on the bootloader. That means:
    • If using Clover, DSDT has to be modified for use with Clover.
    • If using OpenCore, DSDT has to be modified for use with OpenCore.
  • Those who have been exploring this are using OpenCore, which unfortunately means disabling iGPU because the OpenCore EFI memory driver (FwRuntimeServices) does not work when iGPU is enabled.

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 2.58.59 PM.png

EDIT: Please disregard. Thanks for all the help in this thread. :)

Last edited:
I was wondering if you could help me understand part of the config.plist you provide:

XML:
  <key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
                <string>Built In</string>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <string>Audio Controller</string>
                <key>layout-id</key>
                <data>
                EAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Realtek ALC1220-VB</string>
            </dict>

How does this translate to layout 16? I'd like to try using layout 28, and perhaps others if that's not what I'm looking for, but I can't figure out what value I would use.

Thanks!
Layout ID is specified in base64. The decimal value 16 is equal to base64 value EAAAAA==
Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 3.15.57 PM.png

To see how we converted 16 into that monster, and how to convert decimal 28 into base64, here's an illustrated answer:

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 3.07.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-17 at 3.08.05 PM.png

Layout ID is specified in base64. The decimal value 16 is equal to base64 value EAAAAA==
View attachment 440983

To see how we converted 16 into that monster, and how to convert decimal 28 into base64, here's an illustrated answer:

View attachment 440981View attachment 440982
Thanks, I understand how to do it now. Still confused about the Base64 part, I can't reproduce those values using the base64 command in the shell.

In any case, layout 27/1B/GwAAAA== turned out to be the one I was looking for. It makes the main (green) rear output "Internal Speakers" and plugging headphones in the front headphone jack takes over automatically.

I often use C4D as a hobbyist as well. But the setting inside the software could be adjusted, and it depends on the render settings as per greyscalegorilla would often mention in his tuts. If you have your settings set to physical depending on the version of C4D physical uses the CPU full 8 core/16 thread if 9900K is the CPU. It renders with full power and often times the Mac controls its CPU GHz through the software when rendering a heavy scene. I often clock at 5.0 GHz although my profile is set to 3.6 GHz DDR4 Profile 1 in the BIOS. But you can limit the memory settings in the C4D preferences. I found out for hackintoshers its better to run the software through Windows build rather than through the 19,1 hackintosh build. That said because problem 1 with the hackintosh very laggy port view on heavy or medium scenes. Problem 2 with hackintosh build the Mac takes control over the memory even when you adjust it through the C4D preferences. temperatures reach well over 90C when using physical render settings (CPU). The GPU uses the pro-render settings which is a type of OpenGL Metal 2 using your GPU at full potential to render out the scene light medium or heavy. My Radeon Vega Frontier Edition will kick off extreme temperatures also depending on the scene and the fans kick in at max. I believe the Mac system completely ignores the C4D custom settings you tweak because I tried all different kinds of settings through tutorials but nothing seems to really change the render time.
Cons and pros to using C4D on mac:
Edited
Cons:
-extremely very laggy view port regardless of physical or pro-render setting
-will make both GPU or CPU burn at high temperatures for higher heavier scenes.
-C4D mac preference setting seems to be ignored.
-physical needs to use all 8 cores on the cpu causing the CPU to lock up and can not typically use other apps in background due to the system using all 8 cores at full power (this may cause freezing temporarily)
pros:
-slightly faster physical and GPU than Windows because Mac controls the memory management.
I render with either Arnold or Cycles. I used a friends pc to load a firmware update on to a USB key and updated from F6 to F8.
I’ve noticed some improvements (I was finally able to render a 100000 particle instanced forest of palm trees) so that may have been my issue. I am leaving town for the holidays so I can’t test Fusion till I get back.

Convert 16 decimal to base64 value to be used in a property list:
Code:
printf "%08x" 16 | perl -nE 'say reverse /(..)/g' | xxd -p -r | base64
printf ... outputs 16 as a 8 digit hex number string
perl ... converts the hex number string to little endian representation (each two digits is a byte, lowest significant byte comes first).
xxd ... converts hex string to actual bytes (two hex digits are converted to a byte)
base64 ... converts the bytes to base64

Result:
Code:
EAAAAA==

To reverse the steps:
Code:
echo $((0x$(base64 -d <<< EAAAAA== | xxd -p | perl -nE 'say reverse /(..)/g')))
base64 ... convert base64 to bytes
xxd ... convert bytes to hex string
perl ... reverse order of hex digit pairs (convert from little endian to big endian)
echo $((0x...)) convert hex string to decimal

Result:
Code:

Thanks, I understand how to do it now. Still confused about the Base64 part, I can't reproduce those values using the base64 command in the shell.

In any case, layout 27/1B/GwAAAA== turned out to be the one I was looking for. It makes the main (green) rear output "Internal Speakers" and plugging headphones in the front headphone jack takes over automatically.
16 is 0x10, 32bit little endian 0x10000000. Base64 encode every 6 bit to 8 bit. The first 6 bit 000100, that is 4 base64 E, the following sextets are all 000000, encoded as A, there are five of them, total 36 bits, the padding bits are represented by ==.

Back