Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Remind the hive please of the following:
  • Catalina or Mojave?
  • SMBIOS iMac19,1 or iMacPro1,1?
  • Any custom Vega fan and power curves (custom power play tables) or is macOS fully managing the Vega?
  • Did the problem suddenly start? If so, has anything significant changed, such as update from 10.15.1 to 10.15.2 or installation of any new drivers?
Catalina
IMacPro1,1
No custom power tables (removed VegaTab kext)
Seems to be after the Catalina update

@CaseySJ

I attempted installing Catalina today from Mojave 10.14.5 . I followed your instructions regarding Whatevergreen, and doublechecked there were no AGDP related patches in Kernel and Kext Patches. Yet I still got the black screen before login ("No video input")
Does this mean Lilu and WhateverGreen were updated in both CLOVER/ACPI/patched and /Library/Extensions prior to start of Catalina upgrade?
I then booted from a backup drive and copied latest Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext to the other drive's /Library/Extensions (I realised my version of Lilu was older than the supported version for WhateverGreen). I also placed Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext in CLOVER/kexts/Other in the EFI of the other drive . I then used touch terminal command on the three kexts in the terminal to trigger a cache reset for the other drive.
It sounds like Lilu and WhateverGreen were not updated prior to start of Catalina upgrade. After copying new versions to /Library/Extensions, we need to rebuild the kernel cache by typing the following in Terminal:
Code:
cd /
kextcache -i /Volumes/<name_of_disk_to_be_updated>

This can be done by booting from the backup disk, but please replace <name_of_disk_to_be_updated> with the real volume name. For example: sudo kextcache -i /Volumes/Catalina

Catalina
IMacPro1,1
No custom power tables (removed VegaTab kext)
Seems to be after the Catalina update
Some apps (e.g. Avid Pro Tools) are currently crashing on Catalina. Have Cinema 4d, Maya, and Fusion Studio been certified or updated for Catalina? Are these problems afflicting real Macs as well?

The Catalina Mini-Guide is for brand new, fresh installations, and the procedure takes care of post-installation (Step 3). If upgrading from Mojave, we need to update Lilu and WhateverGreen to latest versions and do an in-place upgrade through the Mac App Store.

Thanks, having tried two upgrade attempts and both resulting in no audio, I thought I might try a fresh install to a spare SSD. On the surface the Fresh Catalina process looks to have less steps than Mojave?

You're welcome to diff the files, but it's almost 40k lines long... Here's the unmodified clean DSDT and the modified DSDT that allows NVRAM on OC http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=40561690984440084401
I can boot OC with your DSDT but my NVRAM isn't working still. All other DSDTs from the sources you suggested caused boot to fail. I would like to try your complete OC EFI folder if you can upload it somewhere with cleared serial, MLB, etc. Thanks. Feels like we are getting close...

Both of you have Corsair Vengeance 16GB x 4. Can you both try a different brand temporarily? Maybe borrow from another computer?

Hi, thank you for the quick response -

Sadly, I do not. I have a working backup of 10.15.1 where all 4 sticks are recognized and working @ 3200mhz.

Only experience the issue when attempting to update to 10.15.2 or do a complete fresh install of 10.15.2.

Let me know if there is anything else I can provide that might help.

thanks, having Tried two upgrade attempts and both resulting in no audio I though5 I might try a fresh install to a spare ssd. On the surface the Fresh Catalina process looks to have less steps than Mojave?
Yes, the procedure has been simplified by turning it into more of a black box. I may have to de-simplify it to expose and explain the innards... :)

Some apps (e.g. Avid Pro Tools) are currently crashing on Catalina. Have Cinema 4d, Maya, and Fusion Studio been certified or updated for Catalina? Are these problems afflicting real Macs as well?
Yup, all apps updated and certified.

Hi, thank you for the quick response -

Sadly, I do not. I have a working backup of 10.15.1 where all 4 sticks are recognized and working @ 3200mhz.

Only experience the issue when attempting to update to 10.15.2 or do a complete fresh install of 10.15.2.

Let me know if there is anything else I can provide that might help.
@WhosMac had trouble with 10.15.1 as well, if I recall correctly. Did you install 10.15.1 with the same memory modules? While I doubt that memory is at fault, there comes a time when we need to question everything -- WhosMac's experience is rare and befuddling.

Alas Sherlock said it best, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." (P.S. This is also a Holmesian Fallacy.)

Yup, all apps updated and certified.
If anyone is using Cinema 4D, Maya, or Fusion Studio on Catalina, please let us know if you're experiencing any runaway GPU fans (fans at maximum) or crashes.

Last edited:
Back