Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm using Macmini8,1. Is it safe to just change it to iMac19,1 and restart?
I was able to switch quite easily to iMac19,1 because I don't have a large set of individually licensed audio/video plugins. I made a full bootable backup first, then switched SMBIOS to iMac19,1 (including new serial numbers), copied the new Board Serial Number to the MLB field in RtVariables. Before rebooting, I logged out of iCloud, Messages, FaceTime, Google Backup and Sync, etc. Also ran iTunes/Music App to Deauthorize This Computer.

After rebooting, I was surprised that nearly all of my apps remained licensed. I had to transfer one license, however (for Audirvana).

So the biggest issue (or non-issue if you're lucky) will be to check whether all of your apps are still licensed.

Having followed the steps from this build. (I used post installation with Clover, and all post install files.) I now have a working system. Only thing is after shutdown, I get a verbose. When starting up my system I also get a verbose. Shortly after the starting verbose, I get the Apple logo with the progress bar. In Clover I disabled -v in bootargs. What could be the issue of these verbose? Thanks in advance.

Note: NVME Mounted EFI. Changed Plist deleted -v there. Works.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed a long startup time for "Activity Monitor" app? When I'm running on iMac19,1, the app takes about 5 bounces before it opens. When I switch to iMacPro1,1, the app opens immediately. Granted I'm on a different board (Z390 Aorus Pro), but curious if this is also happening on other systems and what could be causing it.

Thanks!

Because that Build Guide uses the version of CLOVER supplied with MultiBeast, the use of shikivga=60 was okay. Did the kernel panic occur with the supplied version of CLOVER or with a newer 5xxx?

There is the following, but I agree that the screenshot should be consistent with the earlier one.

View attachment 439971
Using version 5.8.0.0 (newest on the site).

Btw. Hope my post didnt come off as rude. Just tryin to contribute. :)

Hi all,

Thanks for all the work with this. I was able to do a fresh install of 10.15.1 last week using the Catalina Mini-Guide.

I've gotten everything important working (sleep/wake, messages, etc, etc) but am having some issues with my LG 5K Ultrafine display.

I have the Z390 Designare and a Gigabyte RX Vega 64 OC connected via DP in to the motherboard then connected via the top Thunderbolt 3 port to the display. The display itself works fine and I'm getting the 4k upscaled to 5k that was mentioned in other posts.

The issue is that the built in camera is not appearing in the system and the audio is missing. Along with this, the brightness control on my magic keyboard doesn't work. If I boot into Windows first, then reboot to Catalina, these things work flawlessly. If the monitor loses power after this, I need to reboot in Windows to reenable these features. It's as if the USB functionality of the monitor is disabled. (no other devices connected through usb c on the monitor show up either)

Has anyone else run into issues like this? Any tips on debugging the root cause?

I got some new DRM testing results.

This time I'm using iMacPro1,1 with iGPU disabled in BIOS.

I tested shikigva=16/80 and with no shikigva unsuccessfully. I would either freeze or it wouldn't play.

I then gave shikigva=128 a try. This is with WEG 1.3.5, not prerelease 1.3.6.

Interesting results on either freezing or working perfectly.

I can play that offline iTunes trailer with DRM protection successfully. If I try to view DRM from Amazon Prime/Netflix/Amazon Prime Trailers, I instantly freeze. In fact, simply opening the Amazon Prime trailer page without clicking play, or signing into Netflix = instant death.

Except, there is a workaround to make everything work. I don't know if it breaks down over time or not, but every test I threw at worked in this condition.

If I open that iTunes trailer in QuickTime, and pause it, I can view everything without freezing. Everything works.
Apple TV+ show works. Amazon Prime trailers and shows work. Netflix works. I did it in Safari too. So I can just open that trailer and leave it paused.

I can close and reopen Safari and it still works. But if I close QuickTime (causing the trailer to no longer be loaded) and Safari, and then reopen Safari, we're back to instant death if anything does DRM in the browser.

I don't know if the WEG devs can exploit this in any way, but something about loading that trailer makes everything work when it would otherwise instanty freeze the Hackintosh.

Using version 5.8.0.0 (newest on the site).

Btw. Hope my post didnt come off as rude. Just tryin to contribute. :)
I've made numerous fixes to the build guide based on errors pointed out by members, and will continue to do so. Your feedback is helpful and even encouraged.

@CaseySJ, using your kexts from the Catalina mini guide, my Energy Saver preference pane shows that I have a non-existent UPS. In 10.15.1, this is a non-issue. But in 10.15.2, it has become a pain in the *** because upon login, I now get this annoying notification which I cannot get rid of. Help, pls!

Attachments

• UPS warning.png
    UPS warning.png
    104 KB · Views: 76
Hi all,

Thanks for all the work with this. I was able to do a fresh install of 10.15.1 last week using the Catalina Mini-Guide.

I've gotten everything important working (sleep/wake, messages, etc, etc) but am having some issues with my LG 5K Ultrafine display.

I have the Z390 Designare and a Gigabyte RX Vega 64 OC connected via DP in to the motherboard then connected via the top Thunderbolt 3 port to the display. The display itself works fine and I'm getting the 4k upscaled to 5k that was mentioned in other posts.

The issue is that the built in camera is not appearing in the system and the audio is missing. Along with this, the brightness control on my magic keyboard doesn't work. If I boot into Windows first, then reboot to Catalina, these things work flawlessly. If the monitor loses power after this, I need to reboot in Windows to reenable these features. It's as if the USB functionality of the monitor is disabled. (no other devices connected through usb c on the monitor show up either)

Has anyone else run into issues like this? Any tips on debugging the root cause?
Hello @waltflanagan

Welcome to the forum and glad to see that you've done your homework on the LG UltraFine 5K. In particular, you noted correctly that (a) the top TB3 port attaches to the monitor when DP-In is used, and (b) a 4K signal is exported to the monitor, which then upscales it to 5K because we have a single DP-In.

Regarding the camera, audio, and brightness control:
  • Let's check Thunderbolt setup:
    • In BIOS, Thunderbolt Security must be disabled.
    • In BIOS, Thunderbolt Boot Support should also be disabled, but under some circumstances it may be necessary to try Boot Once.
  • Also check that the following files are present in the EFI partition of the Catalina SSD:
    • CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml
    • CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-DTPG.aml
If this doesn't help, we'll ask some LG UltraFine owners to chime in.

@CaseySJ, using your kexts from the Catalina mini guide, my Energy Saver preference pane shows that I have a non-existent UPS. In 10.15.1, this is a non-issue. But in 10.15.2, it has become a pain in the *** because upon login, I now get this annoying notification which I cannot get rid of. Help, pls!
In this Star Wars season, that's what I would call a Phantom Menace.

I have a CyberPower UPS connected to my system via USB. There's even a CyberPower PowerPanel for macOS. When macOS detects a UPS device, it adds a new tab to System Preferences --> Energy Saver. But if you don't have a UPS, it's possible that a different USB or other device might be confusing macOS.

Suggestion:
  • Remove all externally connected USB devices except keyboard and mouse.
  • Does the phantom menace reappear?
  • If so, run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then upload the saved file. It will give us a detailed look at the devices connected to your system.

Back