Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Now I'm back to the normal out of lucky state. hahahahaha!

No deal, still hangs in the same spot. My first try, just copying config.plist, didn't work, I got a message saying "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform", then I installed the Vega64 back, booted my backup and pasted everything from the Catalina Fresh Install.zip. Installed the 5700 XT back and then it went through and stopped at the same spot as before.

Tried with the iGPU off in the BIOS, no deal also.

I found this topic that it seems to be the same problem, after reading more than 20 pages it seens that they found a bootable config.plist but they don't mention what made it work, it is in the post #203.

BTW Ignore the freezing errors piano man talks about, it was a problem with the CPU in the end, nothing related to the 5700 XT.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 10.18.30.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 10.18.30.png
    543.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 10.20.47.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 10.20.47.png
    396.9 KB · Views: 85
Now I'm back to the normal out of lucky state. hahahahaha!
I know, easy come easy go!
No deal, still hangs in the same spot. My first try, just copying config.plist, didn't work, I got a message saying "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform", then I installed the Vega64 back, booted my backup and pasted everything from the Catalina Fresh Install.zip. Installed the 5700 XT back and then it went through and stopped at the same spot as before.
Just to confirm: Did you click the pop-up menu in SMBIOS and select iMac19,1? The config.plist in the ZIP is unfinished or incomplete. We have to populate the SMBIOS section before using it.
Tried with the iGPU off in the BIOS, no deal also.

I found this topic that it seems to be the same problem, after reading more than 20 pages it seens that they found a bootable config.plist but they don't mention what made it work, it is in the post #203.

Thanks for the link; going through this thread now...

UPDATE: There are a couple of differences in their config.plist that we might want to try, such as:
  • Enabling KernelXCPM in Kernel & Kext Patches
  • There's also an ACPI patch for an RTC bug, but I don't think that's needed
My gut feeling (and it's nothing more than that) is that 10.15.2 might be a better choice for doing fresh installations of Catalina because 10.15.2 will support SMBIOS MacBookPro16,1, which is the 2019 16-Inch MacBook Pro that comes standard with a Navi GPU (Radeon 5300M and 5500M). It should also support the new non-headless Platform ID 0x3E9B0008 for iGPU.

Anyway, I'll continue to tinker with the CLOVER configuration over the next couple of days.

Last edited:
I recently updated my Mojave installation to Catalina. I did all the recommended steps (update clover, whatever green, lilu etc) and had no problems with the update.

Until I started using macOS. I get beach balls all the time and applications fail to load. It's random and I can't tell what the problem is. Anybody else having similar issues?

I never had any issues with Mojave and my setup is basically identical to what the Casey has. The computer model back then was Mac mini and I haven't change that or anything else.

Just to confirm: Did you click the pop-up menu in SMBIOS and select iMac19,1? The config.plist in the ZIP is unfinished or incomplete. We have to populate the SMBIOS section before using it.

Yes, 19,1 then checked trust, copied the values on the page and pasted in the Rt section.

Should I test it without the headless mode? How to turn it off?

Should I test it without the headless mode? How to turn it off?
That by itself will not help. You're welcome to continue experimenting on your own while I do the same. I should have another update in a couple of days.

I recently updated my Mojave installation to Catalina. I did all the recommended steps (update clover, whatever green, lilu etc) and had no problems with the update.

Until I started using macOS. I get beach balls all the time and applications fail to load. It's random and I can't tell what the problem is. Anybody else having similar issues?

I never had any issues with Mojave and my setup is basically identical to what the Casey has. The computer model back then was Mac mini and I haven't change that or anything else.
My in-place upgrade from Mojave to Catalina has been wonderfully solid. If you're experiencing random beach balls you may try:
  • Option 1: Look for a Pattern.
    • Does the crash happen with a particular web browser?
    • Which specific applications are failing to load? Are they 32-bit apps?
    • Were any new kexts added to /Library/Extensions?
    • If you don't use any apps and just boot the system and leave it alone, does it still crash?
  • Option 2: Process of Elimination.
    • Disconnect all external devices except keyboard and mouse.
    • Does it help?
    • Were any new applications installed after the upgrade?
  • Option 3: Boot from the Mojave bootable backup disk.
    • Connect your Mojave bootable backup disk and log back into Mojave.
    • Use various apps to make sure the system is still as stable as you remember it.

New Catalina install and all is OK. No clover update. Stay with "Clover UEFI Boot Mode with Emulated NVRAM v2.4k r4961" . Use OcQuirks-4 and FwRuntimeService - works better than OSXAptioFix2drv-free200. One question. Can You connect Thunderbolt device after MacOS launch ? I must connect TH device before computer start.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC.aml
    697 bytes · Views: 80
New Catalina install and all is OK. No clover update. Stay with "Clover UEFI Boot Mode with Emulated NVRAM v2.4k r4961" . Use OcQuirks-4 and FwRuntimeService - works better than OSXAptioFix2drv-free200. One question. Can You connect Thunderbolt device after MacOS launch ? I must connect TH device before computer start.
Which motherboard, CPU, and GPU are you using? If your profile information is outdated, please take a minute to update it (account details).

With the Thunderbolt hotplug SSDT we can connect and disconnect Thunderbolt devices at any time. The SSDT is included in the Catalina install Zip file.

Back