Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

hmmm. Will this work with Catalina? Will the "USB-C" port drive the new LG 5K and the new Apple Pro Display XDR?

"Radeon Pro W5700 has six display outputs, consisting of five mini DisplayPort connections alongside a single USB-C port, one which is capable of up to 15W of power delivery, with the card also offering up to an 8K resolution for video"

hmmm. Will this work with Catalina? Will the "USB-C" port drive the new LG 5K and the new Apple Pro Display XDR?

"Radeon Pro W5700 has six display outputs, consisting of five mini DisplayPort connections alongside a single USB-C port, one which is capable of up to 15W of power delivery, with the card also offering up to an 8K resolution for video"

Yes it's very likely that the newly announced Radeon Pro W5700 will work because AMD is positioning it as an alternative GPU for the new Mac Pro. However, the question is whether we need to wait for Catalina 10.15.2...

However, the USB-C port is not a Thunderbolt port so it won't work with the LG UltraFine Thunderbolt monitors.

Updated to using OcQuirks-4 and for the first time saw my computer sleep properly (whereas before it always just went to screensaver).

Not sure if it's related or from other fixes (did not change anything sub-OS level, e.g. BIOS, Clover).

However, the USB-C port is not a Thunderbolt port so it won't work with the LG UltraFine Thunderbolt monitors.

Right, but the "new" LG UltraFine 5K that works with USB-C i.e. iPad Pro and hopefully the Pro Display XDR

Right, but the "new" LG UltraFine 5K that works with USB-C i.e. iPad Pro and hopefully the Pro Display XDR
I had forgotten about the new 2019 LG UltraFine 5K that supposedly has a Titan Ridge controller, hence it supports DisplayPort over both USB and Thunderbolt. The Pro Display XDR likely has the same controller.

Clover Configurator is downloadable from a handful of sites, which is why the Installation Notes section of the build guide provides the preferred download link (see below). The latest version is 5.7.0.0 and as you can see in the 2nd screenshot, it does contain Fix Headers. If Clover Configurator is downloaded from other sites, it may look very different!

View attachment 436532
View attachment 436533

Hey, I did it exactly like you wrote. Downloaded from https://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/ (the link from the guide).
But when I open 5.7.0.0 under High Sierra 10.13.6 this shows up:

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 18.32.39.png

Another question: I followed the guide and just finished creating the USB-Stick, updated my BIOS-Settings. And I am at stucked at the:
Begin Installation
Preflight checklist

Because I don't have the "BCM94360CS2 WiFi/BT module" yet. Anything else is ready to install. Do you think it will cause trouble when I install Mac OS and do the Post-Installation without any (suitable) WIFI-Module yet installed?
I ordered the Fenvi FV-T919 and from what I understood it's nativly supported, so as far as I understood there is nothing to add in Post-Installation to make it work. So will I risk anything following your guide without the WIFI-Module?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 18.29.48.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 18.29.48.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 56
Hello @baustellen,

Several questions/comments:
  • Are you installing Mojave 10.14.6 or Catalina 10.15.1?
    • If installing Catalina 10.15.1, please use this mini-guide.
  • It's okay to perform the installation without Fenvi FV-T919. When the card arrives, it is just plug-and-play -- no drivers needed.
  • In your signature, please remove "32GB RAM | 1 TB Samsung 970 Pro". According to site rules, signature may include only:
    • Name, Motherboard, CPU, GPU
  • In your Account Details, please enter updated information for:
    • Motherboard (e.g. Gigabyte Designare Z390)
    • CPU (e.g. i9-9900K)
    • Graphics (e.g. Vega 64)

Thanks for this wonderful thread!!! I was out of the game using a real Mac Pro for the last 2 years but jumped back in because of the Designare board looking like an incredible Mac like board. I was just wondering if most people are using iMac 19,1 or iMac Pro 1,1? I'm using iMac 19,1 because I have the i9 9900K and everything seems to be rock solid.

I just tried to update from Mojave 10.4.6 to Catalina 10.5.1. I had updated the Whatevergreen.kext, but the update still failed. There were a few "Service exited with abnormal code: 1" messages before the display turned off. After resetting the computer, the system wouldn't boot anymore and I had to restore from a CCC backup. Any ideas what could have gone wrong?

I tried a few other things unsuccessfully and now I have a bit of a problem: Booting into macOS on the internal hard drive my input devices are not recognized anymore (for whatever reason). I immediately wanted to restore again from the CCC backup only to find out my external backup drive doesn't appear in the Clover boot list anymore. Is there a way to set the boot flag again? I have a working MacBook available.

Edit: I was able to fix it with a different EFI from my installation USB drive. I'm a bit exhausted at the moment and couldn't think properly. :) Catalina still won't install, though.

Last edited:
Back