Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

You don't even need to spoof the subsystem-id to load the patched driver I posted yesterday. It works with or without the spoof.
I should be able to test those drivers sometime over the next couple of days, along with a new Silicon Power NVMe (to test OcQuirks/FwRuntimeServices).

I should be able to test those drivers sometime over the next couple of days, along with a new Silicon Power NVMe (to test OcQuirks/FwRuntimeServices).

I'm interested in whether link aggregation works in the newer version.

OcQuirks / FwRuntimeServices Experiment

In our ongoing quest to find a truly viable alternative to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, we plan to compile and test OcQuirks with a number of different parameter settings. We'll consolidate the data here. If my system is one of the most finicky ones around, then hopefully a solution that works for me will work for most or all.

I'm trying to teach myself more about everything, so I tried the three test cases as a learning experience. I started using test case #1 on a USB drive (after copying over the EFI from my boot drive, which is a 970 Pro in the bottom slot)... and with slide=0, it booted Mojave 10.14.6 okay. I then decided to abandon the USB drive entirely and try test #1 directly on the EFI partition on my 970 Pro, and it booted okay from there too. I ran test 2 and test 3 the same way and the system booted. (Just to be sure I was putting OcQuirks.efi in the right place, I deleted it and tried booting the system - and it didn't boot, so I think my test was sound.)

I didn't see any problems in the short amount of testing I did. I figure I'll run my system with the OcQuirks.efi from test case #1 for the next few days and see how things go.

Also, I have the RX 580 in slot 2, the 970 Pro in the bottom slot, 2 SATA SSDs (Windows 10 and a slush drive), F8 BIOS (with only the setting changes recommended in the guide), the Fenvi in the top slot, a bluetooth keyboard, my iGPU enabled (and appears in System Report / PCI), with functional pro apps (iStats shows the RX 580 being used in Final Cut, and my Thunderbolt 1 FocusRite Clarett 2 Pre connects okay with hotplug).

Today my Z390 Designare and 9900K were delivered, and I'm currently reading up on all the new hot stuff (so much has changed since 2012!). Since I'm doing a fresh install, and as I'm reading all these posts on OpenCore and that it's the way going forward, I'm thinking I might as well install with OC right now. So far, I haven't found a guide for this setup specifically, so I'm using guides I found elsewhere. Are there any plans of adding some OC stuff to this guide? Specifically, how I should set ig-platform-id in Catalina when going for a headless build? I assume that's the correct way for 10.15.1 using dedicated GPU and wanting optimal Davinci Resolve performance?

Today my Z390 Designare and 9900K were delivered, and I'm currently reading up on all the new hot stuff (so much has changed since 2012!). Since I'm doing a fresh install, and as I'm reading all these posts on OpenCore and that it's the way going forward, I'm thinking I might as well install with OC right now. So far, I haven't found a guide for this setup specifically, so I'm using guides I found elsewhere. Are there any plans of adding some OC stuff to this guide? Specifically, how I should set ig-platform-id in Catalina when going for a headless build? I assume that's the correct way for 10.15.1 using dedicated GPU and wanting optimal Davinci Resolve performance?
OpenCore is still in beta, it's evolving quickly, and still has a long way to go. For this reason I would advise against it.

Keep in mind that switching from Clover to OpenCore is simply a matter of replacing the Clover folder with the OpenCore folder, so it is almost trivially easy to switch from one to the other at any time. (Of course, setting up a fully working OpenCore folder is not trivial, but once it is set up, it can be activated quickly.)

With a dedicated GPU, we should use platform ID 0x3E980003 (headless) for the internal GPU.

We'll eventually add OpenCore to the build guide, but it needs to become stable and OpenCore Configurator (analogous to Clover Configurator) needs to mature.

This is a good time to make a full bootable backup and test the backup by booting directly from the backup disk:
  • Press F12 at BIOS splash screen and select the backup disk.
  • If the name of backup disk is Catalina Local Backup, then select this from the Clover Boot Menu:
    • Boot macOS from Catalina Local Backup
Once the backup is done and verified, then any remaining issues can be worked on. My fear is that if we start another flurry of troubleshooting activities at this point, we can end up corrupting the system.

Having a hard time figuring out the backup as Mac OS is not giving the option to set a GUID. CCC is saying the formating is incorrect as its not formated to be a bootable drive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 4.17.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 4.17.29 PM.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 97
Having a hard time figuring out the backup as Mac OS is not giving the option to set a GUID. CCC is saying the formating is incorrect as its not formated to be a bootable drive.
Every little detail matters! Please see blue box. If we don't select the parent name of the destination disk (on left side of Disk Utility) then we won't get the three options shown in red box.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 1.36.44 PM.png

Every little detail matters! Please see blue box. If we don't select the parent name of the destination disk (on left side of Disk Utility) then we won't get the three options shown in red box.

View attachment 435974
Damn, I've formatted so many drives prior to the changes that I must have missed that. Sorry, been using OS X since tiger and I guess thats new in Mojave? No excuse though, should have read it. But the copy is created and booting.

Would you happen to know why Music/TV/Podcasts is not allowing me to sign in but iCloud and iMessage are?

Consider me a successful guinea pig! :) SmallTreeIntel82576-1.2.5-PATCHED as I send these bytes through the connection.

Attachments

• SmallTree Patched.png
    SmallTree Patched.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 202
  • EFI Screenshot.png
    EFI Screenshot.png
    598.9 KB · Views: 188
Back