Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I checked, the position mode is Gaming Mode not Compute Mode.

The problem is exactly that. Switch to compute mode.

The problem is exactly that. Switch to compute mode.

Are you sure ?

IMG_8168.JPG

So I updated to Catalina this evening and began to do the initial tests :) I noticed that my USB drives are no longer getting ejected after sleep! Can anyone else confirm or deny this behavior? I've tested various USB ports and various sleep lengths, as soon as I wake the system, the drives are there on the desktop... I checked my RAM to make sure something didn't change, and it is still at 3200MHz... I'm wondering if...
1. This is normal and things will work now?
2. I'm somehow getting lucky and this may or may not work later...
3. I'm dreaming this whole thing and will soon wake up to reality lol...

This didn't work in Mojave, as soon as I woke the system I'd get the disk not ejected properly message. Not so in Catalina.... I wonder if the new mac pro has higher speed RAM, and so the new OS is set to deal with that now?
Exact same results here. USB 3.0 HDD connected to front case port for Time Machine backups hasn't been ejected now for just under a week. Fingers crossed!

At first we thought that it was @heythisisdave Windows SSD, but after further testing it seems that temps or the card was the problem. I have my RX 590 (nitro+, better cooler than the pulse AFAIK) on the regular switch, and my temps and system are fine; my define R6 does have good airflow and keeps cool though. I think @heythisisdave switched his out for the Gigabyte gaming and experienced better performance/no lockups...

I would check that your system temps are good, especially GPU. Also, is your 970+ on the latest firmware? Just for testing, have you tried removing the Windows drive to see if it makes a difference?

I do think that overclocking or GPU/system temps could be the cause of the issue...

It really seems that people like to suffer, they are trying thousands of configurations when the problem is simple to solve.
I already gave the recommendation, but it seems that he can not understand, damn much the jumper and test !!! and then draw your conclusions.

If my disks are connected directly to the MB io panel then I do get ejected disks after sleep. However, when using the CalDigit TB3 I don't get this. So I just leave my external disks connected to it.

I do have 3200 MHz RAM, and I will sleep and wake my machine with well over 12 hours day after day. I've gone multiple days (probably even more than a week) without doing a power down or restart. With having turned off wake based on network it just sleeps and wakes like a good little baby.

@digumo, are you on Mojave or Catalina? If you are on Catalina, could you test USB ports direct again? I'm no longer experiencing automatic disk ejection after sleep on Catalina...

for quicker troubleshooting, is there a way to set audio layoutID's from the clover screen, rather than modifying the config.plist for each try?
thanks

On Catalina...
Flashed to BIOS F8. After a bit of rummaging around to find the settings everything seems to be fine.

@digumo, are you on Mojave or Catalina? If you are on Catalina, could you test USB ports direct again? I'm no longer experiencing automatic disk ejection after sleep on Catalina...
He's on Mojave 10.14.6 for the time being.

Back