Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ, have a question or 2... :)

I manually created my own config and got everything up and running on Mojave 10.14.6. Preparing to install Catalina, but getting all the system work done before hand, creating SMBIOS, creating any SSDT etc.

A few questions:

1. Does your RX580 SSDT do anything other than list the device under PCI section? I copied the SSDT from the Post folder, but it isn't doing anything, PCI section still showed empty. Of course, this may be because I have an RX 590 and not 580 lol, so no surprise there. I'm just wondering if your SSDT does anything else that would help performance wise or in some other way (I checked the SSDT code and noticed you have other methods in there).
I actually added my RX 590 and other installed PCI cards to the PCI list using the properties section of my config.plist, since I'm comfortable and used to doing it that way :)

2. If I remove the Intel WIFI card (plan to use it on a motherboard for a Windows build), do I still need to use the SSDT to remove it? If so, how can I verify that it is working properly? Is looking at the PCI list in Hackintool (for example) or IORegistryExplorer enough?

Edit: NVM question 2, as logic dictates and I just confirmed by reading a few posts by you quite a few pages back, removing the card should be followed by removing the SSDT lol...

3. I would like to modify the SSDT for UIA, to use the ports I use. I saw you mentioned the power properties and saw that code in the UIA SSDT. Can I just edit the port section of the SSDT and use it as is, or would I need to do anything different to inject power properties for my custom port layout? Or could I just copy the relevant power properties section from your SSDT to mine to get the full USB power? If you don't feel like rewriting all of that (since your guide already has the work done), do you by chance have or know of a guide to do this properly? I don't recall if RehabMan's port injection guide dealt with power properties injection, will have to take a second look :)

4. Do you have any update on FakeSMC VS VirtualSMC? I don't really use sensor reading apps or anything like that under macOS; I do my overclocking under Windows ;) Do I gain anything by switching to VirtualSMC? Currently using FakeSMC and OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. If VirtualSMC would get AptioMemoryFix working, that may be worth it, as it supposedly allows for native NVRAM on most Z390 boards. Last time I tried it on my Z390 Pro build, it was no go lol...
I noticed memory fix drivers were a hot topic some pages ago, but couldn't quite gather a conclusion on the matter :(

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Last edited:
I must say, I like how we can discuss things here with a cordial manner. There are many places you can't have that.
I won't really comment on much. I'm sure I could say a lot though.

FwRuntimeServices.efi is actually almost the same as AptioMemoryFix, just highly "modular" and regulated. There will most likely be more added to the booter configuration, eventually. This said, under no circumstances does it overwrite memory, regardless of not finding proper allocation. Following the history of AptioMemoryFix, it was one of the solutions to not use any methods overwriting the memory. However, It is correct to say that a hackintosh is perhaps not as stable as MacOS, and therefore, one would back it up. This is highly recommended, regardless of any solutions used.

Sure, a hackintosh isn't a real Mac. But you want it to run as smooth as possible. i.e. you choose the right SMBIOS profile for several reasons, one being PowerManagement. If you have an i9 9900 or i7 9700, you'd most likely not go for iMac 15,1 SMBIOS profile, another reason could be to have proper AGDP signalling.

Fair point. This is why I'd suggest to perhaps set a disclaimer for the use of AptioFix2Drv-Free2000. Unless it has already been done so.

Well, here is a little guide:

Get the error and note it down, note down the pages of the allocation problem.
Go into Clover > EFI Shell > memmap

You will get an output with the listings of "Type" "START" "END" "# Pages" "Attribution".

lets take the unrealistic error of 0x1A (your noted up error might be different, this is just an example).

Now that you've found the available larger "# Pages", check its "START" value, for the same type: "available".

View attachment 429974

In this picture, you can probably see that we've found available "# pages" above the site of 0x1A. This would be 0x1E.
Now following this through, we've found the "START" value, being 0x18A4000.

Now that we got a "START" value, note it down.

In most cases, the kernel is allocated at 100000 with the included slide address (slide value *200000)

So let's start with the calculation (0x18A4000-0x100000)/0x200000 = 0xB

Since this is in Base-16, you'd have to convert it to decimals. 0xB = 11.

In this case, slide=11

You can use the calculator inbuilt with Hackintool or the Calculator in MacOS with Programmer settings.

This is based from what Vit9696 posted in the AptioMemoryFix thread, from the link CaseySJ posted.
Vit9696 also describes it in a different thorough way. I suggest that one reads his posts regarding this.

**I must apologise, I am not as good as CaseySJ at making any guides or descriptions. I am fully blind, and I use screenreader and braille display. My 11 year-old nephew helped me with the picture by labelling everything. The picture is taken from the Intel EFI Specification sheet.**

I’m still confused by this. I use slide=0, and everything is great....until I boot windows. If I boot Windows and then try to go back to the hackintosh, I get the memory allocation issue. The way I clear it is to hard reset CMOS. It’s really annoying.

Hi @CaseySJ

Firstly, I am not sure what motivates you to be so kind with your time, etc., but it is amazing and I really thank you for all of this. People like you make the Internet a fun place to be.

I have the i9-9900KF so no integrated GPU which has crippled me slightly. I got the CPU on Ebay and am slightly suspicious of it, as any overclocking causes issues, so I am tempted to return it, in favour of a standard CPU with the iGPU (and therefore benefits from HEVC, H.265 etc.). I have everything up and running, including TB3 with an Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter and a Lacie external drive and a Sonnet twin 10G thunderbolt adapter all seemingly to work well (all left-very from a previous iMac set up). I have two Sabrent 1TB NVMe for MacOS and a backup and a single Sabrent 512GB NVMe for Windows. Powercolor RX580 8GB. Finally I have a Fenvi BCM4360 802.11ac which worked out of the box. I have even successfully upgraded to Catalina without a hitch.

The issues I have are related to USB, which seems unreliable. I have the BCM4360 802.11ac connected to the internal header, and have SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml installed in the CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED folder. Both USB HS and USB SS and even USB-C via one of the TB ports seem problematic, with peripherals dropping or very odd behaviour such as an external Samsung USB-C SSD which works when connected via a short cable, but through a useful 1m extension, nothing (however it works in Windows). The two USB 3 front panel ports are connected, but terribly laggy if I attach a second device to the second port. I have a slightly older TB Seagate unit which also does not function on the TB port (via the Apple converter), which is odd as the other TB devices are fine - but that may be a different issue.

I am attaching a screenshot of my ACPI/PATCHED folder LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS folder and the config.plist from my COLVER folder on the EFI.

Any help would be really helpful. Thanks so much for this, and all of the information so far. Awesome! Let me know if I can donate to your beer/coffee fund.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-24 at 11.16.28.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-24 at 11.16.28.png
    642 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot 2019-10-24 at 11.16.20.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-24 at 11.16.20.png
    943.1 KB · Views: 39
  • config.plist
    9.3 KB · Views: 105
Hello CaseySJ,
I Try some day's to have airplay,and both video out (from RX and from motherboard HDMI).
(I'm a FCPX user, too.)

My configuration is..
i7-9700
GByte Z390 Pro
RX 580
Fenvi HB-1200
on Catalina 10.15 (19A603)

I can't do it as much as I tried with patching..
I'm doing something wrong.
If you have some time can check my EFI folder please ?
Thanks.. (if you need some more files let me now..) :)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.7 MB · Views: 72
550W will be fine. Just keep in mind that if you upgrade to a more powerful GPU (e.g. AMD Vega or RX 5700/XT) or a more powerful CPU (i7-9700K or i9-9900K) then power consumption will increase significantly. But for the components in your current list, 550W is sufficient.
Thank you!
In this time i can't upgrade CPU or VGA. I will try 550W PSU :)

Hey everyone - I tried to dual-boot Windows and put a second Samsung NVMe M.2 in M2M (the M.2 slot closest to the CPU). I installed Windows without a problem and then put the Mojave SSD back in the second slot and made Clover the primary boot device.

So I was able to boot back into Windows and Mac, but my Mojave instance started becoming unstable. It would hard crash - the screen would lock up (mouse can't move, I think the network disconnected (no longer visible on my router), typing doesn't work).

I've since removed the Windows drive and Mac seems to be back up and running OK. I have some theories and curious if any of these are correct:

- The Windows SSD was being indexed by Spotlight and causing overheating of both SSDs?

- The Windows install updated some kind of firmware on the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590 card I have

- I had disabled Legacy USB for some time to try and get my USB to be recognized (since re-enabled).

Mojave seems to be running smoothly again for now (up for about 15 minutes now whereas before it would crash in a couple of minutes).

David

Let's start with this:
  • Delete the files in the red boxes.
    • When using VirtualSMC, we must delete SMCHelper
    • The other 2 red boxes are duplicate files
  • View attachment 431833
  • Try the attached config.plist, but copy serial numbers back into SMBIOS and RtVariables. This version adds External Icons Patch in Kernel & Kext Patches.

I did these changes, I also turned off iGPU. The result is I now have a computer that mostly works. I even edited a movie on final cut. But I still have problems with sleep. I have checked:

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 9.33.56 AM.png

Which has gotten me super reliable sleep. But it seems like I shouldn't have to keep the computer on 100% of the time.

Without it I had sleeps where it never woke up, or would wake up with a blank grey screen (is that the iGPU).

Any advice? Is everyone running with the toggle selected or are people having very little problems with sleep. It seems like without it checked it has a 100% failure rate over night.

Hey everyone - I tried to dual-boot Windows and put a second Samsung NVMe M.2 in M2M (the M.2 slot closest to the CPU). I installed Windows without a problem and then put the Mojave SSD back in the second slot and made Clover the primary boot device.

So I was able to boot back into Windows and Mac, but my Mojave instance started becoming unstable. It would hard crash - the screen would lock up (mouse can't move, I think the network disconnected (no longer visible on my router), typing doesn't work).

I've since removed the Windows drive and Mac seems to be back up and running OK. I have some theories and curious if any of these are correct:

- The Windows SSD was being indexed by Spotlight and causing overheating of both SSDs?

- The Windows install updated some kind of firmware on the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590 card I have

- I had disabled Legacy USB for some time to try and get my USB to be recognized (since re-enabled).

Mojave seems to be running smoothly again for now (up for about 15 minutes now whereas before it would crash in a couple of minutes).

David

An update - I've added some heatsinks to the M2 drives (as well as putting the standoff screws in which keeps the Gigabyte native heatsink tighter to the drive).

I also made the Windows SSD not automount so Spotlight won't look at it.

Seems to be more stable now.

David

Hi David, are you using 970 EVO or 970+? You may need to make sure you are running latest firmware if you are using 970+

I don't think that Windows would update the Sapphire firmware, I have Windows 7 and 10 along macOS and the firmware on the card is fine (I also have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590)...

Do you have a drive attached to SATA ports 0, 4 or 5? When using M2M, SATA ports 4 and 5 become disabled, and port 0 is disabled when using M2P. This could be an issue for example if a drive attached to SATA port 4 or 5 was being used by macOS, but would then be unavailable when using the top M2M slot.

Check to make sure your UEFI settings are still good for Mojave (did you change anything for Windows install?)

Another test you can do (if you can afford to remove Windows), install the top M2 drive, use Windows installer to wipe the drive, then test if Mojave still boots and works fine. If it doesn't, then there's something going on with the hardware that is making Mojave act funky. BTW, are both of these drives identical (model and size)?

TO completely wipe the drive from Windows installer:
1. press shift f10, type diskpart and press enter.
2. Type list disk, note the number of your Windows disk (if both Mojave and Windows drives are identical, then either remove Mojave drive before doing this to avoid erasing the wrong drive, or make suree the drive is really the Windows drive).
3. Type sel disk X (where X is the number of your Windows disk)
4. Type list part (to list partitions on the disk). Make sure that the partitions are actually from the Windows partition scheme, E.G. EFI partition, MSR partition (if you let Windows create partitions), NTFS partition, Windows RE partition etc. If they are, proceed, if they're not, select a different drive :)
5. If the disk is the right one, it should still be selected, if not type sel disk X (x is disk number) again, then type clean. This will erase the drive.
Note that this will effectively get rid of all data on the drive, so use caussion and make sure you verify the drive that you are erasing! You assume any and all responsibility for any data loss :)

Once the drive is empty/clean, boot Mojave, do you still get locked up? If so there might be something going on with the hardware, or perhaps using both NVME drives is making Mojave trip up? Maybe others will chime in with their experiences... I have 1 970 with both 10 and Mojave, and 7 is on a SATA 860 EVO, haven't experienced any issues like what you described with this setup.

HTH...

Back