Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thunderbolt on this MB is not showing or loading under the PCI system information.

Got any tips on getting TB activated? Thanks for the detailed Step-by-Step!

View attachment 431583

Check Post Install Section of the guide that CaseySJ posted, this PCI or Thunderbolt Information won't show without proper patching but actually TB3 works even without this information, you can check IOReg for your devices addresses.

Does this mean the problem is fixed? And now you can mount the EFI partitions?
Unfortunately, no, the Disk Utility didn't see any permissions issues but EFI partitions still don't mount.

@thrf: You have to lookout this post of CaseySJ again. That is at least what made everything work for me. The fact that your RAM is Corsaire doesn't matter (probably it doesn't really matter at all what you write in these fields except for the first three columns and the last).
You have to fool Clover into thinking that you have 8x 16GB slots instead of 4x32GB. Everyone with any 32GB sticks had to do this afaik ....

This actually worked after I edited the config.plist @CaseySJ shared. I just corrected the Frequency to 3000, using slots 0-7 with 16GB Modules, using XMP Profile on. Now "About This Mac" shows 128GB 3000MHz.

Thank you both. I was able to install my own Designare Z390 with minimal Clover flags and kexts.

I'm using iMac 19,1 SMBIOS in headless mode. Along proper Framebuffer patching in config.plist.

I'm using:
F7 BIOS XMP Profile Enabled, UEFI= OtherOS, no CSM, Thunderbolt as this thread indicates, XHCI Handoff Enabled, Legacy USB Enabled, VT-d disabled.

Clover Bootloader 5096
[Kexts on S/L/E]
LiluFriend 1.1 containing:
- Lilu 1.3.8
- VirtualSMC 1.0.8
- WhateverGreen 1.3.3
- AppleALC 1.4.2
USBInjectAll
IntelMausiEthernet
FakePCIID_IntelGbX
FakePCIID
SmallTreeIntel82576
XHCI-Unsupported

I dismissed both of AHCI 3rd Party kexts and FakeSMC plus Sensors. (Obviously because using VirtualSMC.)

I patched AppleLPC.Kext to load along Designare's LPC address.

I'm using osxaptiofix2drv-free2000.efi as NVRAM Driver (without EmuVariableUEFI), ApfsDriverLoader and HFSPlus Efi Drivers, nothing else.

I'm using all SSDT except for CNVi and RX580.

In Clover plist (I use PlistEditor Pro):
ACPI: Just Sata Patch and PluginType=TRUE
Boot Flags: dart=0, darkwake=0, no Debug, and simple 10s timeout.
Devices: just Inject 16 for HDA, along ResetHDA, i'll try this turning this flag off soon.
Devices Properties: Proper Framebuffer Patching mentioned in original posts.
K&KP: AppleRTC, AppleIntelCPUPM and KernelPM=TRUE, SSD TRIM Patch,
NO USB Limit Port Patch (Because of SSDT)
RT Variables: UseMacAddr0, MLB as BoardSerialNumber, 0x28, 0x67
SMBIOS: iMac 19,1 + Trust + 8x16GB Ram Patch (When Using 4x32 RAM)
No Kext Injection Entry, InjectSystemID=TRUE

We're testing a Thunderbolt Apollo x6 Audio Interface without issues. So far, macOS runs smoothly and snappy. Sleep, Shutdown and Restart work as spected.

I only got issues with sleep and USB devices failing at safe unmounting before sleep operation. I'm aware this is caused by RAM Speeds, and, after testing with XMP Profile off in BIOS (no need to re-patch Clover RAM), sleeps work as spected. But we prefer RAM Speed over this bug. I know there is a script that will unmount safely and remount after proper sleep.

If I get any trouble with Clover flags using this build, I'll post it as feedback.

Again, Thanks Guys!

Last edited:
Hey guys.. I have problem with using optical output from my connection. I can get the sound but I can't increase or decrease the sound manually. If I use analog connection then I am able to use line in option and increase or decrease the sound. I prefer to use digital output. Is there anything I can do to fix it.

I del it.. I have other problem I can not find solution, this problem is still from Mojave.
So wen I click left button of mouse on icon of Istat Menu I should wait around 2-3 second till drop menu are show.
So i have 5 different machine 2,3,8 generation and there in no this problem. also on some other place system are laging. machine is Z390 Designer - 9900K 32ram Corsair / RX580
If you switch to VirtualSMC iStat Menus will appear immediately. There's a guide for that here:
on Video Pro H264 and HEVC are work great on Mojave show RX580, now after update Catalina show HD630.
here is my config
The RX580 renames the GPU from RX 580 to AMD RX 580 so your GPU names were like this (in alphabetical order):
  • AMD RX 580
  • Intel UHD 630
Because AMD RX 580 is alphabetically ahead of Intel UHD 630, you were seeing the AMD RX 580 previously in VideoProc.

But after deleting the RX 580 SSDT, the GPUs are named:
  • Intel UHD 630
  • RX 580
So now the Intel UHD 630 comes first.

You can still rename the AMD GPU by following the guide here:

My Designare Mojave on M.2 was running perfectly, everything just worked after following this awesome guide (iMacPro 1,1). I also have Win 10 on a separate SSD. 3200 Corsair RAM. But lately after going to sleep or on shutdown I get a total lockup (sometimes the leds on the MB go off and sometimes they are still on). After trying to turn on the computer it doesn't move a bit. Only after disconnecting my PS and removing the battery (clearing CMOS) and then reconfiguring the BIOS I can get past the boot screen into Mojave or Win. And I think the problem is OS independent - also after Win sleep.
Anybody else experienced this kind of trouble? I hope it's not the MB failing!
  • In System Preferences --> Energy Saver, what options are enabled?
  • Is Mojave installed in the lower M2P NVMe slot?
  • Is Windows installed in the upper M2M NVMe slot?
  • Are you still running Mojave?
  • Do you have an earlier full backup of Mojave?
  • Have you installed any new devices into the system recently?
  • Have you connected any new devices to the internal F_USB (USB 2) header?
  • Have you installed any new applications recently?

Hi @CaseySJ. For posting the IORegistry Explorer output, is there a way to strip the SMBIOS/Serial data first (Or send to you privately?).

Thunderbolt Devices:
  • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD - F4U095
  • Western Digital Easystore USB 3 external drive (Plugged into Dock)
  • Lacie 5Big TB2 (Have tried via Dock, and via Apple TB2/TB3 adapter)
I don't have a USB-C native Flash drive, however I have a USB3 Flash drive and tried it via a USB-A/USB-C adapter into the TB/USB-C ports on the back. Hot Plug appears to work. Oddly, it wasn't detected if I leave it in for. reboot, but hot plug definitely worked.
If hot plug is working now, then no need for further action. But if it's not working, then instead of uploading the entire IOReg file, you may also scroll the device tree on left side to RP05 and capture a screenshot of just the hierarchy under RP05 (after attaching one or more TB3 devices).
Also, is any of the USB High Current or Hot Plug stuff related to the MSR Config lock?
No, this should impact USB current delivery.

Back