Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @CaseySJ, quick question:

My FENVI T-919 is arriving next week. A friend of mine who traveled to the states bought it for me and it's getting here next week. I forgot that having an NZXT Kraken X52, the only F_USB port in de Designare is already taken by the cooler.

My friend does not have any time left to buy the splitter you mentioned and wait for Amazon to send it back to the hotel. I found only one seller here in Argentina that sells one similar. Would it be too much if I ask you to take a look on this website to see if it is actually the same thing before I buy it?

Sorry for the inconvenience, I realized just now about this issue.

BTW, along with the FENVI card I also bought a 1-84 bits screwdriver set from Amazon so I don't strip any more screws...

Thanks in advance Master!
I have a hackintosh without internal header so I used an external USB port to connect the header. You just need a USB cable, cut it and connect 2 cables to the Fenvi header cable

The Arrow has no power switch, right? Just a single TB 3 for power and data?
@jiffyslot
Yes, you’re right. Arrow has only one TB3 port for power supply and data transfer.
Unfortunately, the Arrow has no power switch unlike their high end X-series which have power switch and two TB3 ports for daisy chaining. Like the old saying, you pay what you get for.
IMO, the Arrow gets quite warm when it’s been used in DAW for awhile.

Last edited:
Hello @CaseySJ, quick question:

My FENVI T-919 is arriving next week. A friend of mine who traveled to the states bought it for me and it's getting here next week. I forgot that having an NZXT Kraken X52, the only F_USB port in de Designare is already taken by the cooler.

My friend does not have any time left to buy the splitter you mentioned and wait for Amazon to send it back to the hotel. I found only one seller here in Argentina that sells one similar. Would it be too much if I ask you to take a look on this website to see if it is actually the same thing before I buy it?

Sorry for the inconvenience, I realized just now about this issue.

BTW, along with the FENVI card I also bought a 1-84 bits screwdriver set from Amazon so I don't strip any more screws...

Thanks in advance Master!

You can either do what @bluepr0 just mentioned, customize your own header to USB A cable, or to buy the DCI 5 male to USB A adapter cable on Amazon, Newegg, eBay, cost less than $10 bucks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V6WD8A/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This will sound very basic, but let's start with the very basics:
  • First, do this in Finder:
    View attachment 431178
  • Then look at the hard drives that are already mounted. In my case only my main Catalina drive is mounted:
    View attachment 431182
  • Then run Clover Configurator.
  • Click Mount EFI on the left side then choose one of your drives from the bottom part of the list. See the two red boxes.
  • After choosing one of the drives to mount, click Mount Partition (see blue box).
    View attachment 431179
  • You will be asked to enter your name and password:
    View attachment 431181
  • Now take another look at your desktop. You should see a new EFI disk icon like this:
    View attachment 431183
  • If you see this, then it means the EFI partition has been mounted from the disk you selected in Clover Configurator.
  • You should be able to mount all of your EFI partitions by repeating this procedure.
That's the problem, I do exactly that and none of my EFIs agree to mount

Attachments

• EFI Agent.png
    EFI Agent.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 99
do you have a USB boot drive that contains your working EFI folder?
I have a backup made with Carbon Copy Cloner and the script provided by Casey, but the EFI refuses to mount too. I rebuilt an installation USB key with a new EFI on my Macbook pro, with an EFI mounting on the Mac, but the reinstallation of Mojave failed (necessary resources not found, said the installer after the reboot).
The only time the EFI reappeared for a few seconds was when I made a backup of my SSD, CCC was able to access the EFI.

Haven't done any real stability testing but happy to report 5700xt with this build on the cata dev beta 2 seems to be working @1440p over DP-DP cable with WEG installed and boot argument agdpmod=pikera added. However, I have obnoxious red lines/artifacting on desktop.

UPDATE: Interesting...the red lines only appear when I am using the Catalina or Mojave dynamic wallpapers, OR any of the still wallpapers that make up the Catalina and Mojave dynamic wallpapers...the Solar Gradients dynamic wallpaper and any other stills dont display any red lines/artifacts...weird. May need to wait for an update to WEG

As long as you use DDR4 DIMMs (4GB, 8GB, 16GB modules) that are XMP 2.0 certified, you will be okay. I would not advise using 32GB DIMM modules (this means 1 module with 32GB on it).

Also, I would recommend 650W power supply minimum.

The rest of your components look good to me. The Asus Strix RX560 should work OOB.
Thank you.
I calculated the system power usage that why i choose Bitfenix 550W.
https://www.bequiet.com/en/psucalculator . In system load 270 w maximum.
but if you think I'd rather buy 650w!

The memory has XMP 2.0 certified: https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX430C15PB3K2_32.pdf

Debug should only be used if you are having problems with Clover. It can significantly increase the boot time. See the Debug tooltip:

View attachment 431186

• Do both MX500 SSDs have the same disk names as well?
  • In my own experience with two or more cloned drives connected to the system, the nvram.plist on each one remains completely independent. Independent timestamps and contents.
Thanks for your reply Casey! Because it was also checked in your guide (Final steps in post installation) I also checked it. Followed it to the letter, still learning in hindsight what the options do.
Both MX500 have different names: MacOS and MacOS Backup. I'll keep an eye on the nvram.plist if I was just mistaken.

@jiffyslot
Yes, you’re right. Arrow has only one TB3 port for power supply and data transfer.
Unfortunately, the Arrow has no power switch unlike their high end X-series which have power switch and two TB3 ports for daisy chaining. Like the old saying, you pay what you get for.
IMO, the Arrow gets quite warm when it’s been used in DAW for awhile.

One great thing though, you don't need to worry about the hot plug issue: There's no Off switch and there's no reason to unplug it! :)

Back