Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

hopefully @CaseySJ will have some successful results using the designare z390 imac 19,1 and successfully update the security patch that apple just released for 10.15.:)
Successfully updated my iMacPro1,1 Hackintosh. No issues. Designare Z390 is next...

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 7.43.23 PM.png

EDIT: Designare Z390 MacMini8,1 update also successful.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 8.29.30 PM.png

During the update process, at the Clover Boot Menu you will find a volume named Boot macOS Install from Catalina - Data, where "Catalina - Data" is the name of your macOS SSD followed by the "- Data" suffix.

Any time during the update process if you see this option (with the word install) you must select it.

Last edited:
I've been trying to update (like a normal mac), but my machine keeps restarting, and failing to install, how did you update?
The update showed up in System Preferences and I followed the typical update procedure. Restarted in "Install MacOS..." partition, then restarted and booted through default Clover drive selection. Are you able to see the install partition in the Clover boot loader screen?

The update showed up in System Preferences and I followed the typical update procedure. Restarted in "Install MacOS..." partition, then restarted and booted through default Clover drive selection. Are you able to see the install partition in the Clover boot loader screen?

didn't work, guess I'll wait, thank you. Interestingly do you keep your kexts in L/E or in the clover/kexts/Other, thanks

Last edited:
My wish:

1. Disable HS09 and HS10

2. Enable HS01 and SS01
Attached is the modified USB SSDT that:
  • Disables HS10
  • Enables HS01
Because SS01 is already enabled, it is not necessary to disable both HS09 and HS10, so I disabled the bottom USB 2.0 port (HS10).

Please backup and remove the existing SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml from CLOVER/ACPI/patched and copy the new SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7A.aml in its place. Reboot and check whether the Luna Display device connects.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7A.aml
    847 bytes · Views: 70
LED of memory will always remain ON during sleep. Here's why:
  • Sleep is not the same as Shutdown.
    • During shutdown, everything in memory is erased.
    • When we start up again, everything has to be reloaded from scratch.
  • Sleep is not the same as Hibernate.
    • During hibernate, everything in memory is saved into a disk file.
    • When we start up again, the contents of memory are restored from the saved file so computer can continue from where it left off.
But during Sleep:
  • Contents of memory are not saved to disk and not cleared.
  • All other components are powered down, but memory remains powered-on.
  • This is why we can wake up from sleep so quickly and continue where we left off.
Because memory remains powered-on, LEDs on memory modules also stay powered on. Maybe in the future we will be able to control LEDs on memory modules separately.
Thank you verymuch,Because LED of memory is always remain ON during sleep,if it could Hibernate,memory should be powered-off,then LEDs should be OFF,but LEDs are always remaining on,so it means that my mac can never going to Hibernate?(Apologies for my poor English haha...)

Hi CaseySJ,

First off thanks for the awesome post about installing Mojave on Z390. I followed the instructions to the T and was able to successfully install Mojave. Everything works as expected. My problem starts if I try to do in-place Catalina upgrade. After downloading Catalina from App Store, the computer asks for reboot. After the reboot, I select Install macOS from XXX, it starts booting up but then gets stuck. I wait 5 minutes and the purple lines appear (a normal occurrence), then it tries to enter graphics mode and that point my monitor blanks out saying no signal detected. I am not sure what's going on.

I've attached the boot messages before screen blanks out. EFI folder also attached

EDIT1: I had left the system in blanked out state for >1 hour while I went outside to mow my front lawn :p Came back and forcefully shutdown the system. Then turned on again, at the Clover menu now I see that Clover no longer shows "Install macOS from XXX" but shows normal options. I select my boot drive and then boot process starts until screen blanks out again. I have a feeling that something is up with display resolution. I might try to go back to iGPU and report back

EDIT2: Catalina was indeed successfully installed. However, it appears that it won't show anything on the screen with dGPU. I disconnected dGPU, enabled IGPU in BIOS and booted via Mojave Installer USB. At the boot menu, selected the internal drive. Catalina showed up. However, the resolution is very low. So I still have work to do but for now it confirms that Catalina was installed successfully even though screen blackouts occurred

EDIT3: So confirmed that Catalina is not liking dGPU (RX 590) which is surprising since it was plug n play with Mojave. I'm writing this edit from within Catalina. I booted via Mojave USB Installer and selected internal drive. I'm using iGPU with low resolution.

EDIT4: ISSUE RESOLVED: Here's what I did: I downloaded the latest versions of Lilu, Whatevergreen and AppleALC. Copied those to /L/E and Clover/kexts/Other folders. Then ran Kext Utility. Shutdown the computer. Connected dGPU. Removed HDMI cable from iGPU, and connected back DP cable to DP port on dGPU. Started the computer and booted directly from the internal drive. No screen blackouts and full resolution!!
I followed your steps, but no luck. When booting from iGPU, it showed several vertical bars, and it couldn’t go anywhere. Hope you can shares another tips.

Attachments

• C9E20DED-3018-4C05-AC91-0ED83CBC278C.jpeg
    C9E20DED-3018-4C05-AC91-0ED83CBC278C.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 53
didn't work, guess I'll wait, thank you. Interestingly do you keep your kexts in L/E or in the clover/kexts/Other, thanks

Everything according to CaseySJ's guide on page 1, "Spoiler: Final steps in post-installation," and the most recent Clover, Lilu, WEG, etc.

Back