Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If you remember to press F12 at the BIOS splash screen during each of these events, then there's no need to remove the NVMe:
  • Clone Mojave onto the other SSD.
  • Reboot and press F12 at BIOS splash screen to select the clone SSD.
  • At the Clover Boot Menu, select the new option: Boot macOS from <name of clone disk>
  • Login to Mojave on the clone.
  • Start the Catalina upgrade.
  • When the upgrade installer requests a reboot, reboot the system.
  • Press F12 again during the BIOS splash screen.
  • Select the clone SSD.
  • At the Clover Boot Menu, select the new option: Boot macOS Install from <name of clone disk>
  • If there are any more boot requests during installation:
    • Always press F12 at the BIOS splash screen and select the clone SSD.
    • At the Clover Boot Menu:
      • Whenever you see an option Boot macOS Install from <name of clone disk>, you must select that option.
      • If you don't see this option, then select Boot macOS from <name of clone disk>
If you physically remove the original NVMe, it simplifies the above steps.

Made new clone. Downloaded Catalina. Installed Catalina. Carefully booted twice in to ’Install...etc.etc.until there was no ’install’. Booted in to ’macOS from <name of disc>’? Logo and progress bar which didn't progress. Same as before.

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 12.14.03 AM.png

@CaseySJ have you encounter this? I have exactly same hardware as your.

I couldn't find an AptioMemoryFix.efi file quickly, so I went with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi (from Post-Install Files in post #1). Quick Look now works. VideoProc still says no hardware acceleration. Not even sure if I should have hardware acceleration with this build so I'm going to memoryhole that issue and pretend everything is fine. Thanks, again, Casey!

I strongly advise you not to use the free-2000.efi. According to its creator this is a hardware killer. You can google it, he made a post on another site and is pretty convincing.

Is there a motherboard that can use the same UEFI folder like Z390 Designare but still cheaper?

• Followed the "click here" link from the build guide and used Hackintool v.2.8.0 to create patch for Platform ID 0x3E980003. Clicked on "Patch" button at bottom, then on "Advanced" button in Patch Options pane. Made sure every checkbox was empty. Clicked on "General" button in Patch Options pane. Made sure only "DeviceProperties" radio button was enabled and "Graphic Device" was the only box checked. Clicked "Generate Patch" button. Then File->Export->Bootloader config.plist. Selected the /EFI/Clover folder and let it 'replace' the existing config.plist (backup file and new file sizes match...10kb).
  • Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts are in /Library/Extensions from the initial build. Have not updated them.
  • In Clover Configurator -> Devices -> Fake ID -->IntelGFX was already 0x0
  • In Clover Configurator -> Graphics everything was already blank

Rebooted and got the "unable to allocate" error message again. Shutdown, turned power supply switch off, pulled power cord out. Waited ten seconds (just a couple seconds longer than it takes for the mobo to 'flash' when it discharges whatever power remains in the caps). Plugged cord back in, power supply switch to on and powered up. Same "unable to allocate" error message again. Rebooted, went in to BIOS and set Chipset -> Internal Graphics to "Disable" and was able to boot back in to Mojave.

Quick Look not working again, now, and VideoProc still says no HW acceleration. I opened up Hackintool again, and it came up with Platform ID 0x3E980003 (Generation is still Coffee Lake, as it was before I changed the Platform ID).
Please check that your drivers64UEFI folder does not contain OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi. Only 1 memory driver is permitted at a time. Use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi despite the warnings. Once the system is up and running you can experiment with AptioMemoryFix.efi, which can be installed from Clover Configurator —> Install Drivers.

BIOS: IGFX --> Enabled
Clover Configurator —> Boot Arguments —> slide=0

Should I mention that the clone ssd is an external Samsung T5 which is USB 3.1
I routinely install SATA SSDs in external USB 3.0 enclosures, so the Samsung T5 should be fine.
  • Which version of Clover is currently installed? Clover version appears on screen each time during boot.
  • If it’s older than 4961, consider updating it on the clone SSD (on the Samsung T5) before starting the Catalina upgrade.
  • Also try adding “-v” or verbose flag to Clover Configurator —> Boot Arguments.
  • When all else fails, attempt a fresh installation of Catalina on the Samsung T5 (or install fresh copy of Mojave 10.14.6 on the Samsung T5 and then attempt the upgrade).

Any ideas why my Catalina install only sees one display?
Things to check first:
  • If you have a Vega SSDT in CLOVER/ACPI/patched or have injected any PowerPlayProperties through Clover Configurator (or elsewhere), remove them all. Let macOS manage the GPU exclusively.
  • Boot back into Mojave to confirm that both monitors are still working simultaneously.
  • On Catalina, connect each monitor individually (one at a time) to verify that they both work when used one by one.

Back