Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

After the most recent update I lost Thunderbolt 3 to USB Type-C functionality. I am also having problems exporting files in my DAW. I just started really working my Hackintosh, and it's performing terrible, unfortunately. I'm considering a fresh install again lol. Any and all help is always appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
Some things to check:
  • In Clover Configurator —> Devices —> Audio, is “Inject” set to No or to 16?
  • In Clover Configurator —> Devices —> Properties, is audio being injected or only WhateverGreen?
  • In Terminal, if you type kextstat | grep -v apple, do you see “AppleALC” in the reply?
AppleALC is not seen in the terminal, and in the Clover Configurator I don't understand if the audio is injected. This is the screenshot of my system and in Clover Configurator.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Schermata 2019-09-12 alle 09.39.18.png
    Schermata 2019-09-12 alle 09.39.18.png
    393 KB · Views: 86
  • Schermata 2019-09-12 alle 09.52.25.png
    Schermata 2019-09-12 alle 09.52.25.png
    322.8 KB · Views: 106
AppleALC is not seen in the terminal, and in the Clover Configurator I don't understand if the audio is injected. This is the screenshot of my system and in Clover Configurator.
Thank you.
AppleALC should appear as shown below. If it does not appear, please check the following:
  • Does Lilu appear in the output? (It's the first item in the screenshot below.)
  • Do Lilu and AppleALC exist in the /Library/Extensions folder?
  • Was Kext Utility run? Running Kext Utility is necessary to rebuild the kernel cache whenever we make any change to the /L/E folder.
  • In Clover Configurator --> System Parameters, is Inject Kexts set to Detect?
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 2.46.18 AM.png

After the most recent update I lost thunderbolt 3 to usb type c functionality. I am also having problems exporting files in my DAW. I just started really working my Hackintosh and it's performing terrible unfortunately. I'm considering a fresh install. Does the latest download include the newest updates? What am I missing here? I don't mean to rant or complain but i am lost right now lol. Any and all help is always appreciated! Thank you!
Is this happening on your Z370 Gaming 7 with an add-in GC-Titan Ridge or GC-Alpine Ridge card?

Let's start by doing the following:
  • Perform soft CMOS reset by shutting down the system and flipping power switching on power supply to OFF position for 10 seconds. Then flip it back to ON.
  • Check/confirm BIOS --> Thunderbolt settings.
  • Unplug and replug the Thunderbolt cable to the Thunderbolt device(s) while computer is booted into macOS.
  • CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder --> check that all SSDTs are present.
  • System Information --> PCI page : check whether Thunderbolt NHI and Thunderbolt USB Controller are listed.
  • IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As... and upload the saved file.

Let's start with some background information:
  • What is the make/model of the GPU?
  • What is the make/model of the monitor?
  • Is it connected via HDMI-to-HDMI cable (no video adapters such as HDMI-to-DVI)?

1. Make and model of the GPU is Asus RX 580 OC
2. Make and Model of the LEDs TCL Smart TV 55 Inch 50G
3. It's connected only through HDMi cable no connector connected

I am also facing one more issue ;i.e., is the Preview app is crashing every time I am trying to open any image file.

AppleALC should appear as shown below. If it does not appear, please check the following:
  • Does Lilu appear in the output? (It's the first item in the screenshot below.)
  • Do Lilu and AppleALC exist in the /Library/Extensions folder?
  • Was Kext Utility run? Running Kext Utility is necessary to rebuild the kernel cache whenever we make any change to the /L/E folder.
  • In Clover Configurator --> System Parameters, is Inject Kexts set to Detect?
View attachment 425556

Thanks, if it can be of help to everyone, the problem probably occurred when I updated the kext using Kext Beast. With Kext Utility everything is ok.:thumbup:

Hello @Mattioo, I've looked at your Clover and Extensions folder and found some differences. Because I'm a first time builder and new to Hackintosh I don't want to make statements, I just followed CaseySJ's guide like you.

But I will point out some differences I've noticed (if you still have the same configuration you've posted in the above post):
Your EFI folder:
- Our 'patched' folders are the same
- In 'drivers' you have SMCHelper.efi and I believe this belongs to FakeSMC and not VirtualSMC. In the guide for VirtualSMC (https://github.com/acidanthera/VirtualSMC/blob/master/Docs/FAQ.md) it states: "SMCHelper-64.efi is not compatible with VirtualSMC.efi and must be removed." The remaining drivers we both have the same.
- In 'kext' you have (like CaseySJ mentioned) more kext's than probably is necessary. I have followed CaseySJ's guidelines in 'just the basic kext's'. So I only have: Lilu, SMCProcessor, SMCSuperIO, USBInjectAll, VirtualSMC an WEG.

Library/Extensions:
- The same kext's I have in EFI's kext folder, I have in the Extensions folder. This seems double, but this is how I understood it works. You're missing VirtualSMC. Again, could be this doesn't meen anything, I'm just pointing out differences.

config.plist:
I attached mine. There are a few differences, but again I don't know which is better.

The only thing I do know is that my hack is running smooth since day one. Within 3 days it was my main working machine and I left my old iMac. Because I have a good backup I like to try and tinker sometimes, so I tried the AptioFix3 (mainly because the scary messages over the 2000 version). But it didn't work out, so I reverted back and now I hope CaseySJ is right about the 2000 version (that it's not that bad). Tinkering is fine, but I also have work to do! :lol: But I like the whole 'lets tinker together so we will have the best hack possible' thing, so please keep tinkering!

BTW, if you think you see a flaw in my config, please share!

(Edit: spell error)

Hello @jrebergen,

Thanks for the time you took to compare our config !

I cannot agree more than this to all you said and I already had made those changes before your reply with the latest discoveries I made. Let me show you the screenshot of my folders right now, my config.plist hasnt changed since.

I have everything running smooth too, I removed the -v argument cause I hadnt got any boot error neither shutdown error. Even my issue with going out of sleepmode seems to be fixed.
The only remaining thing I could not make work despite @CaseySJ answer is Unlock with my apple watch, but it is definitely not such of a big deal. With virtualSMC I don't have my fan speed on iStatMenu neither my GPU temp but I can live without it.

Tell me if you decide to try my files to see if that works for you, but if your hackintosh is working fine then no need to change anything for sure !

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-09-12 à 14.12.35.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-09-12 à 14.12.35.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Capture d’écran 2019-09-12 à 14.13.11.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-09-12 à 14.13.11.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 67

Going the Extra Mile

Installation and post-installation are complete, but the system can be fine-tuned further. The next few sections cover a broad set of topics that can significantly enhance the user experience.

One of the first concerns is to decide upon a final System Definition (SMBIOS name and Platform ID). Users of audio/video apps such as Final Cut Pro, iMovie, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Photoshop, and many other such applications should consider switching to a headless platform ID in which the discrete GPU drives the display monitor and the iGPU is either disabled or used for compute tasks. The table below summarizes the various options available as of the release of macOS 10.14.5.

full

Please click here for an example of how to set headless platform ID 0x3E980003 for 10.14.4 and later. Also note that "WEG" is a common abbreviation for WhateverGreen. For additional options (for 10.14.4 and earlier), refer to the section For Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) and iMovie Users below.

Hmmm, I'm currently running iMac19,1 setup on 10.14.6, but doesn't feel the Radeon VII is giving its full performance because some apps are using the Intel iGPU in tandem.

What do I actually need to change, if I switch to the iMacPro1,1 besides disabling the Intel iGPU in the bios? (the easy part!)

Do I just need to delete the Platform ID and delete the platform ID with WhateverGreen? I'm sure the info is buried somewhere, but I'm a bit dense today! :lol:

Hmmm, I'm currently running iMac19,1 setup on 10.14.6, but doesn't feel the Radeon VII is giving its full performance because some apps are using the Intel iGPU in tandem.

What do I actually need to change, if I switch to the iMacPro1,1 besides disabling the Intel iGPU in the bios? (the easy part!)

Do I just need to delete the Platform ID and delete the platform ID with WhateverGreen? I'm sure the info is buried somewhere, but I'm a bit dense today! :lol:
No problem — here’s a checklist:
  • Disable IGFX in BIOS.
  • Delete the entire section in “Clover Configurator —> Devices —> Properties” related to configuring the IGPU.
  • Everything in “Clover Configurator —> Graphics” should be unchecked or empty.
  • In SMBIOS, choose “iMacPro1,1”. You may be able to reuse existing serial numbers. If you use new numbers, your applications and plug-ins may need to be re-licensed.
  • Sign out of iCloud before rebooting.

Last edited:
Back