Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Did some more GeekBench scores - everything normal in BIOS: single 5937 - multi 24546 /// multiplier set to x47 in BIOS : single 5938 - multi 26177

I think that's a too low score for this CPU (8700K), any tips on settings in BIOS or anything I´m missing or doing wrong?
Screenshot of Intel Power Gadget during GeekBench.

Hey!
Your scores are a bit off, comparing with my i7-8700 (non K, stock).
Maybe you have something running on background?
My ram is clocked at 2400MHz. BTW, on the info it shows 0.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 08.40.10.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 08.40.10.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 101
Updated to 10.14.6 Supplemental v2. When on the update screen, the bar was not progressing. Almost had a heart attack, I let it running for about 10 mins, and, eventually, it restarted and went OK.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 09.04.37.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 09.04.37.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
It does seem somewhat arbitrary, but more than that, it seems like a bemusing non sequitur. The new Mac Pro maxes out at 2933 MHz memory, but also accommodates 128GB DIMMs. So perhaps Catalina in combination with sys-def MacPro 7,1 might make the magic happen for us???

I will do some more testing, but if lowering RAM speed fixes sleep and eject... That's simply baffling. I also got rid of darkwake=0. Let's see what happens. I had no problems sleeping my rig last night.

I also got another MacOS 10.14.6 update, thought I missed the previous one! Did the update, after restart selected the 'Install' icon in Clover bootscreen. After a lot of code the screens went black for a long time, could be more then 5 minutes. I started to break a little sweat! But then the Gigabyte logo came back on and in Clover I could select my startup drive again. Everything seems to be working fine.

Maybe I get more comfortable with updates in the feature, but since this is my second update it is scary!

MacOS update.png

Here is my boot arguments list (before I edited it, shikigva was set to 40 and the shiki-id was not present in my list):

View attachment 424373

Preview still doesn't work correctly... Weirdly enough, preview was able to open the png screenshot I just made, but it still can't open any JPGs I've saved over the last couple of months... Maybe these boot arguments aren't compatible with my nVidia GTX 780 Ti GPU?

Is there any other boot argument I could try to fix preview? Maybe set the system description to 19,1?

Hi CaseySJ, thank you very much for your help. Now that my Gigabyte Designare Z390 is running smoothly, I'm planning to resurrect my X99 Asus Deluxe II with the i7 6900K. My current system is based on KGP Build Guide, and I'm still stuck on OS 10.2 Sierra due to my Nvidia Graphics card. Currently I'm facing random shutdown and USB problem. I have a spare AMD RX580 so I would to like to install Mojave and rebuild the whole system from scratch. Much appreciated if you can assist me with the mentioned CLOVER folder from both X99 Asus Deluxe II USB install disk and final post-installation disk.
Certainly; will set a reminder to do this later today.

Also updated to Clover 5058 :thumbup:

Is there any other boot argument I could try to fix preview? Maybe set the system description to 19,1?
Preview and Quick Look should use the iGPU to render JPEGs and PNGs. Ordinarily we just set platform ID to 0x3E980003 (headless).

Sysdef iMac19,1 is also worth trying. VDA decoder does not work with Macmini8,1 when headless platform ID is used, but it does work with iMac19,1. Although this is for video, similar shenanigans might be happening with JPEG rendering.

Anybody have an EASY, tested way to overclock the 9900K in the Designare? Just looking for something simple to go to 5.0ghz all cores.

Back